MackieControl emulator for BCR2000!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robinschroder

Post by robinschroder » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Hello!

Here's a bluffers guide to how to make your BCR2000 rotary encoders accelerate when moved quickly! (previously posted on the forums here under the topic 'Speed' of the BCR2000's rotary encoders)

Step 1.
Use Midi-Ox or equivalent to capture a sysex bulk dump of the preset on your BCR2000 you want to modify. (To send it, hold down edit and press preset -> on the BCR)

Step 2.
Save this sysex bulk dump (probably in the region of 15000 bytes).

Step 3.
Open it up with a Hexidecimal editor like XVI32 (which is freeware).

Step 4.
Look down the ASCII text side of the screen within the sysex data for the encoder name you want to modify. E.g. if you want to do this to encoder 35, then hunt for 'encoder 35' within the text. There is a 'find' tool within XVI32 thankfully!

Step 5.
Find 'resolution 96 96 96 96' within the parameters relating to your encoder number - i.e. towards the end of the other details relating to that encoder. Modify this to read 96 192 384 768 (you'll have to insert characters in order for this to fit) instead of 96 96 96 96 Now do this for the other encoders you want to accelerate.

(Note: Apparently combinations using 1536 and 3072 can be used too but that's probably only useful with 14 bit controllers)

Step 6.
Save this back as a .syx file.

Step 7.
Transmit this file to the BCR2000 using Midi Ox etc. and store this on the BCR.

Step 8.
The encoders you did this to will now accelerate if you move them quickly but work normally (although a little faster maybe) if you move them slowly!

All the best,
Robin

atomic

Post by atomic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:31 pm

Thanks for the post but I tried going by that instruction set before I posted asking for help. If you go into the file with Hex workshop where exactly do see the info that needs changing (resolution 96 96 96 96)? I looked high and low and found nothing of the sort. I would rely like to figure this one out as it sounds like a good one.

Oh ya where can I find out what the key mappings are ? I have the ones from the "another" template but not the updated one. Any help would be great. I tried going to the old site but it seems to be empty.

thanks
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

robinschroder

Post by robinschroder » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:14 pm

I've never used Hex workshop, but if you're on a PC, it might be worth downloading XVI32. I found it really easy to use because on the left hand side of the screen you get all of the hex code, but on the right hand side of the screen you get the ASCII equivalent. So you see words like 'encoder 35' and then all of the parameters for that encoder follow it in English text, including 'resolution....', then you'd get 'encoder 36' and all of its parameters etc. etc. Knowing little or nothing about sysex, it made a lot of sense to me! Plus if you get bored of sifting through the reams and reams of data, there's an ASCII search function so you can easily jump to the encoders you're interested in. Hope that helps.

EDIT:
By the way - one very important point to note is that all of the available BCR2000 editors strip out / don't include the resolution parameter. That's why you have to bulk dump your desired preset from the BCR2000 at the start of the 'how to' guide because it's only the BCR2000 that writes this parameter in!

AND ANOTHER EDIT!:
Scan to the bottom of Namehei's page for the key / encoder map you asked about. The older versions have the documentation included in the zip files.
http://www.geocities.jp/mackicrokontrol ... live5.html

atomic

Post by atomic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:22 pm

thanks robinschroder. It seems that I cant bulk dump the mackie controll presets. Is this right? I did it fine with the regular BCR presets but the buttons are ghosted in the mackie controll mode so there is no way to send as far as I can tell.

Again thanks for your help. I did not see the map link at the bottom of the page :oops: I guess thats what you get for trying to do things when your way to tired.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

spacebag

How to get the MCE preset back from the BCR2000?

Post by spacebag » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:20 pm

Hallo guys! Big THX to Namihei, husker and robinschroder (for his explanation for setting up the v-pot resolution/acceleration).

One problem tho: as already stated above the MCE-preset occupies the BCR-system button (ie. store, edit, learn, exit) so you can't send a preset dump from the BCR2000. The preset can be changed but then you can send only all presets in one single sysex dump. That would not help cuz you really need the single MCE-preset dump from the BCR2000 to edit the resolution settings.

is there a way to send a preset dump request as for the store command send by sysex to make the BCR2000 store the mce preset?

I already looked into the BCR manual and the BCR programming manual but no MIDI-implementation charts are provided.
no signature yet

robinschroder

Post by robinschroder » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:36 pm

Actually, if you don't want to alter anything, Namihei's sysex files do already have the 'resolution' parameters included in them. Use the 'if BCEdit doesn't work' route and try opening those sysex files into XVI32.

atomic

Post by atomic » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:17 pm

robinschroder wrote:Actually, if you don't want to alter anything, Namihei's sysex files do already have the 'resolution' parameters included in them. Use the 'if BCEdit doesn't work' route and try opening those sysex files into XVI32.
I looked pretty hard and could not find resolution iinformation in the Live preset files at all. Are you totay sure?

spacebag

Post by spacebag » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:23 pm

oh well .. i have read only the bcr2000 integrates the resolution parameter when its dumping back the preset data. :oops: anyway .. i found out how to get the preset dump from the bcr2000 even if the store button is occupied.

You simply connect the bcedit MIDI Out to the Midi Port the bcr is receiving on and connect the MIDI Port the BCR is sending its data on to Midiox and to the bcedit IN (use any loopback device or the MIDI-routing capabilities of your MIDI-Interface). Now send a preset dump request with bcedit. The bcr will dump the MCE preset including the resolution parameter to midiox. Save the file, edit as stated by robinschroder and dump the file back to bcr using midiox. :D
no signature yet

robinschroder

Post by robinschroder » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:59 pm

I've just checked through all of the .syx files available on Namihei's website (i.e. not just version 3 but also the first + 'another' versions) and they all have the .resolution parameters within them. Namihei would, of course, be able to confirm - but I suspect the .syx files are dumped from his own BCR2000.

e.g. MCE3Live.syx included in the file MCE3forLive.zip reads as follows in ASCII:
"? 2 ? %rev R1 ?? 2 ? ?$preset?? 2 ? ? .name 'MCE3Live '?? 2 ? ? -snapshot off ?? 2 ? ? .request off?? 2 ? | .egroups 4?? 2 ? - .fkeys off?? 2 ? ? .init?? 2 ? $encoder 1?? 2 ? .easypar CC 1 16 0 127 relative-3?? 2 ? ? .showvalue off?? 2 ? ? .mode off?? 2 ? .resolution 96 96 96 96?? 2 ? ? .default 0?? 2 ? ?$encoder 2?? 2 ? ? .easypar CC 1 17 0 127...........and so it goes on"
(where ? = a funny ASCII character I can't easily reproduce here, and the bold bits are what you're interested in i.e. it says "here's all the stuff for encoder 1 - it sends out on channel 1 MIDI CC 16 with range 0-127, blah blah blah, and the encoder's resolution is 96 96 96 96. now here's all the stuff for encoder 2...")

Hope that helps! Otherwise, glad it's possible to force a MIDI bulk dump without having to use the keys on the BCR2000.

spacebag

Post by spacebag » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:28 pm

you are right robinschroder. Namihei integrated the resolution parameter into his BCR2000 presets so you really don't have to get the preset back from the BCR2000. At least i found a way how to retrieve a BCR2000 preset if the system buttons are used by CC. You never know when it becomes handy :wink:

Again big THX fly out to Namihei and husker for their great work. Although i found huskervu to be a little unstable generally it works very well.
no signature yet

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:00 pm

OK - i have 1 request for this, thanks to everyone who's put their time and efforts into this so far!!

I would really like to have direct access to sends, so instead of the top encoders being send A, B, C ... for the selected track, they are all send A, or all B, or whatever... (switchable) so I can play with multiple sends at the same time.

Cheers!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:20 am

have no idea if that can be arranged elemental, but you could assign the bottom unassigned knobs to this. if you wanted to get real fancy you could assign one preset so it was for send A, then edit the next preset so it was a midi channel up or on different controllers for those knobs and assign them to send B. that way you could swtich presets to flip between send A, send B, send C, etc...

also, a little tip, download the elektron C6 app here:-
http://www.elektron.se/support.php
it's a sysex send/receive program for osx and pc and works a sh*tload quicker than midiox.

has anyone got birdies editor to work? everytime i change a setup and try to send it the bcr comes up with 'Err 11'. haven't tried the java behringer editor yet...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:26 am

Ok, I just read about in my BCR manual and I can't seem to figure out how to set the bcr to receive sysEx. Anyone know how to set the bcr to revceive?

zfigz

doh!

Post by zfigz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:58 am

uh, I figured it out...Now one more question...i've read all the forum a couple of times, and I still can't figure out how to mess with sends/plugin parameters.

What am I missing?

thanks

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:14 pm

i cant find a solution for the timeout msg, tried the older java version, rebootted both my pc and the bcr but nothing
i tried bcfredit but it didnt work either.