F.A.Q.: WARPING

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:09 pm

hi GK, you definitely DONT want to warp to another track... setup a percussion loop in the impulse or something instead. You don't want it to be too messy either.

The whole point of the short snappy click-click-click-click is that the transients are easily heard.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:42 am

so no other way except metronome matching?...
i've done some forum searching but in vain
:evil:
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

supster

Post by supster » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:21 pm

GK wrote:so no other way except metronome matching?...
i've done some forum searching but in vain
:evil:

if you read the thread you're in, all of the answers are right here.

all of them. swear ta god. right here.

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:28 pm

many answers,though not sweet or good..messed up i'd say!quotes and..small fonts...[gosh these fonts...dear admin,show some mercy,i need my eyes FFS , ENLARGE the DEFAULT board's FONT! I BEG YA]
whatever,trying to mix things using the metronome..it's not 100% close to perfect,but it's a start , i was expecting more from auto-functions , is peak recognition SO difficult to have?..dammit

thanks for your time anywayz
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

supster

Post by supster » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:43 pm

GK wrote:
thanks for your time anywayz

turn up the font size in your browser, and read this thread again. it cant be any simpler than we've already explained it.

i'm actually considering cleaning this up and adding it to my site as a
semi-official FAQ

so unless anyone had other plans, im going to. maybe it will help stem the tide of new people asking over and over.

if anyone has any additonal suggestions or additions could you make them? thanks :)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:29 pm

I have a suggestion.

No questions from noobs until they've searched the FREE forum, read the FREE manual, used the FREE demo, Googled the Internet for FREE info, and made an effort without expecting to be breast fed by people with more important things to do than change diapers.

Yes, I know... we were all noobs once. But I didn't just sit on my lazy ass and mooch off others' knowledge without making an effort just because I could.

And learn to spell. (Apologies to those for whom English is a second language, but often have better spelling, grammar, and basic conversational intelligence than many of the Yanks, Brits, and Aussies here...me included).

Perhaps we DO need a deejay-only forum. I for one wouldn't have to read it. (Apologies also to the small group of literate DJs out there).

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:55 pm

My browser font settings do not change the forum font size supster.
@hambone1 : strange thing..experienced live users do NOT want a dj-section,and at the same time keep complaining with dj's noob questions..

second time i mention it in one day,forum search function does not produce accurate results[or even results] and with the rate 10 new topics / 1hour , one cannot follow or find the FAQ topics.
And the manual is complete,but not in detail.

It seems that metronome+some standard correctly warped beats do that job,so,i guess i'm off your 'pro'-back

HH the Dalai Lama

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:02 pm

If you're on a Mac, Cmd+ will make your browser fonts bigger, Cmd– smaller, and I'm sure there's a PC equivalent.
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:04 pm

winxp sp1 ie 6.0 sp1 , browser font settings doesn't change forum font size.

HH the Dalai Lama

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:06 pm

Not browser font settings.

Cmd + or – while browsing is a keyboard shortcut to make HTML font sizes bigger or smaller, irrespective to whether they're on a forum or not.

Works in Safari and IE on a Mac, not too sure about Windows.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:15 am

Works here on mozilla 1.7.11!
Thanks for the tip, very handy.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

GK

Post by GK » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:52 am

the proof...

HH the Dalai Lama

supster

Post by supster » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:28 pm

GK wrote:the proof...

well, thats your problem right there. you're using Internet Explorer.

get rid of it. why arent you using Firefox?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

way better. you can then read all of the answers that we already typed out right in front of you. and you will also have less spyware crap :)
--

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:37 pm

Machinate wrote:hi GK, you definitely DONT want to warp to another track...
He definitely DOES want to warp to another track. So long as that track was created by a computer and not ripped from vinyl.

GK, create a 4 beat loop in something like Fruity then loop it continuously for about 10-15 minutes depending on how long your longest tracks are. Mine is 15 mins just to make sure. I think the longest track I have is Sasha & Maria's Be As One at just over 13 mins. Then warp all your tracks around that. Its a deadly accurate loop and all your tracks will be just as accurate if warped around the loop properly. This way you can pick any 2 tracks safe in the knowledge that they'll match perfectly. NO METRONOME REQUIRED.

:D

GK

Post by GK » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:23 pm

Celtic wrote:
Machinate wrote:hi GK, you definitely DONT want to warp to another track...
He definitely DOES want to warp to another track. So long as that track was created by a computer and not ripped from vinyl.

GK, create a 4 beat loop in something like Fruity then loop it continuously for about 10-15 minutes depending on how long your longest tracks are. Mine is 15 mins just to make sure. I think the longest track I have is Sasha & Maria's Be As One at just over 13 mins. Then warp all your tracks around that. Its a deadly accurate loop and all your tracks will be just as accurate if warped around the loop properly. This way you can pick any 2 tracks safe in the knowledge that they'll match perfectly. NO METRONOME REQUIRED.

:D
you... rule.
many many regards

@supster : i have a thing , i'm running like 3 different o/s [cause of what i study] , but i dont like changing o/s builtin browsers.
i think i'll just get used to the smallfonts :roll:

HH the Dalai Lama