Garageband Soft Synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elix

Garageband Soft Synths

Post by elix » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:02 pm

hey iv been using garageband for over 6 months but i grew out of it about four months ago so i recently purchased Live5
during the time i used garageband i made alot of instruments and sounds i really liked and would like to continue using.
is there a way to use the garageband synths (not the sample based instruments) the actual synths like analogue mono, digital basic, and the new hybrid synths (which have good simon posford atmos style sounds) in live?
if there is no way to bring these synths into live would somebody be able to recreate them with operator if i posted some of the settings here?
any suggestions would be highy appreciated thanks

ekko

Post by ekko » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:29 pm

Rewire Live into GB.

elix

Post by elix » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:58 pm

its not the same as having the instruments in live
if i was gonna rewire garageband i may as well just make my songs in GB and then just import the audio into live
i want to be able to manipulate the sounds using a midi controler which you cant do in GB one of the reasons i love live you can change everything using knobs and faders

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:09 pm

It's unfortunate that Apple puts their GB instruments on lockdown and are only usable in Apple software. Operator is an FM synth, so re-creating them may not be as simple as 1-2-3. However, Live 5 includes many awesome presets for Operator. There are many presets that do an amazing job at emulating a subtractive synthesis, something I would never expect from an FM synth. If you haven't tried Operator yet (either download the Live demo or if you already own Live, you can switch to demo mode to try Operator) then you should check out the presets. IMHO, Operator is one of the most powerful synths that is not cumbersome to use. Sure, FM7 may have more options, but I'm 100x times more productive in Operator because of its straight forward approach. I bet you could easily find presets that represent what you have in GB and with very minor adjustments get an equal sound that you're after.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

elix

Post by elix » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:42 pm

herehttp://www.geocities.com/anguish_produc ... -funky.mp3
is a track i made recently in GB that uses only a couple of the sounds i would like to use in LIVE
im not up to par with operator to recreate these sounds myself but im sure someone out there is,
once again if it would help i can post the settings used to make them but for now i hope the audio is sufficient

(this track was knocked out in a few hrs and is unfinnished unmixed and has a few dodgy bits)

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:47 pm

Your link is not working. Anyway, good luck finding someone to do the work for you. Personally I think the joy of using a synth is creating your sounds.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 am

to use gb vst's in live you will need eiither..

ApulSoft WormHole. or...
FX-MAX FX Teleport. or..
Musiclab Midioverlan Plus.

dont ask me how since i never actually got to the stage of trying them out.

i was looking in to using one of the above software to control windows vst's on a macminiG4 running only host Logic7 and leaving all the power hungry plugs to the pc with Traction running only as a server.

of course you can do this with one computer, but as said earlier, i lost interest, that is after discovering Live.
hurry up.... mr squigle....