BCF2000 Edit devices with no programming!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:07 pm

I just thought of something: You really need BCFView to use the Cubase mode, or you can't see where you are, and its Windows only. :(

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:15 pm

djsynchro wrote:I just thought of something: You really need BCFView to use the Cubase mode, or you can't see where you are, and its Windows only. :(
ooof! 8O :(
that just bursted my bubble.
:(

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:12 am

come on back home Adam, theres room for ya, you're the one who had us all buying amd in the first place :)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:19 am

starving student wrote:come on back home Adam, theres room for ya, you're the one who had us all buying amd in the first place :)
i'll be back... sorta.
:::cough::: MacIntel :::cough:::: :wink: :)

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:29 pm

This post really needs to be 'stickied' and kept on top. I tried it, and DAMN!, now I'm ready to get another BCF2000....1 for Reason and 1 dedicated to Live.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Update: You don't have to use the mouse to edit the returns:

VIEW: Toggle faders between the Audio/MIDI and the return channels . Press a channel select button to select a channel.

Some devices show parameters that the GUI doesn't show (for future expansion???) The autopan doesn't display propperly on bcfview but these are niggles. It's especially nice to mix using the arrange page, as the motorfaders show track levels.

The free (and amazing!) KarmaFX modular synth works well with the BCF, assign knobs to up to 32 controllers, they then show up in BCFView for tweaking http://karmafx.dk/

filarion

Post by filarion » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm

for mac people John Pitcairn's LC Xmu ( http://www.opuslocus.com/lcxmu/ )should do the trick emulating a Mackie Control right? I'll try it out with a Bitstream 3x once I got one :)

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:42 pm

djsynchro wrote:I just thought of something: You really need BCFView to use the Cubase mode, or you can't see where you are, and its Windows only. :(
I can't verify it (I returned my BCF) but I'm pretty sure it also worked in other emulation modes (just not in Logic mode).

The util is windows only, but one of the emulations shows the current mode in the display (e.g. 'Pan' etc) - not as good as BCFview, but ok-ish I guess...

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 pm

http://www.opuslocus.com/lcxview/

lcxview seems to be for Mac what BCFview is for PC and the upcoming version of LC Xmu looks even better. ME I am on a PC so dunno :-)

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:17 am

djsynchro wrote:http://www.opuslocus.com/lcxview/

lcxview seems to be for Mac what BCFview is for PC and the upcoming version of LC Xmu looks even better. ME I am on a PC so dunno :-)
did anyone ever check this out to see if it works?
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

vexx

Post by vexx » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:56 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum 1st post yipee :lol:

OK so I use Logic on the PC & have been looking into buying Live & maybe a controller too. I saw this post & made me pretty interested.

This Cubase view mode, is this anything particular? or just the editing page set up thingy for the Behringer in XP?

Would the BCR2000 be as good to purchase or would you recommend the BCF2000 over it in terms of usefulles with this feature you're talking about?

The controllers seem very good for the price & look pretty solid. I only recently found out about the automated faders etc which is amazing for the price.

Any help would be great .

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:57 am

The good thing about the BCF is that in Cubase emulation mode you can get at every parameter and you don't have to assign anything, whereas with the BCR you'd have to use MIDI assign mode and make presets.

Sometimes there are a lot of parameters and it's not so quick to wade through all the pages on the BCF so then it's still quicker to use the mouse. With the BCF you could make a preset for a synth and control 32 (is that how many rotaries it has?) parameters, but like I said everything needs to be assigned first.

The BCF is cool for setting levels of a song, a very important aspect of doing the mix, now you can use faders like you would on a mixing desk when you're on the arrange page and concentrate on listening instead of fiddling the mouse and squinting at the screen.

I'm thinking of getting a BCR to use for being able to edit a synth without flipping through pages and leaving the BCF to do the more general mixing duties.

Hope that's helpful.

PS some Japanese dude made a Mackie emulation for the BCR! Choices, choices... Do a search on this forum.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:15 am

djsynchro wrote:The good thing about the BCF is that in Cubase emulation mode you can get at every parameter and you don't have to assign anything, whereas with the BCR you'd have to use MIDI assign mode and make presets.

Sometimes there are a lot of parameters and it's not so quick to wade through all the pages on the BCF so then it's still quicker to use the mouse. With the BCF you could make a preset for a synth and control 32 (is that how many rotaries it has?) parameters, but like I said everything needs to be assigned first.

The BCF is cool for setting levels of a song, a very important aspect of doing the mix, now you can use faders like you would on a mixing desk when you're on the arrange page and concentrate on listening instead of fiddling the mouse and squinting at the screen.

I'm thinking of getting a BCR to use for being able to edit a synth without flipping through pages and leaving the BCF to do the more general mixing duties.

Hope that's helpful.

PS some Japanese dude made a Mackie emulation for the BCR! Choices, choices... Do a search on this forum.
ahh. thanks man! this bit of info is a great help!!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

djsynchro

OVERLAY for BCF2000

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:24 pm

Sorry it took so long, here is a link to a 300DPI JPEG that you can printout cutout and glue to your BCF. (I put some clear sticky tape over it to give it a plastic finish)

Some commands like "click" and "previous" and "next scene" you will still need to program into Live using MIDI assign. These are the freely assignable buttons that send note-ons you can of course assign these to whatever you want.

Oh and if you decide to do that you should switch "Remote" off for your MIDI keyboard in Preferences. (Otherwise keys in the middle of your keyboard wont play anymore as they'll be assigned to remote control functions).

Have a look elsewhere in this thread at my posts where I explain what all the BCF buttons do in Live5 with the Cubase/Mackie emulation mode.

Have fun!

EDIT: Here is a new overlay with more functions I copied from another BCF map flying around, haven't checked it yet so it's "Beta" if you find faults or more functions please PM me. Otherwise have fun...

Last edited by djsynchro on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by-pass

Post by by-pass » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:46 am

I have edit the templates from behringer for Cubase emulation, and follow the implementation from djsynchro , the results is [url http://www.music0films.info/images/BCF.jpg url]here[/url]

enjoy

Fil
--> for info: http://www.music0films.info
--> Material:
  • Macpro, Yamaha 01X, APC 40, Novation Nocturn 25 , Ableton Live + Max4live + Serato Scratch Live
  • Macbook pro, RME multiface, Korg nanoPAD, nanoKeys, Ableton Live + Max4live