help!!!Midi notes in arangment view!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maze23a

help!!!Midi notes in arangment view!?

Post by maze23a » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:03 am

Need help!!

Am i too stupid once again?

It seems like i can't delete single midi notes in arangment view!

For example i have a beat playing the whole song and
at one point i like to take out only the bassdrum whatever!

When i try to mark a midi note in arang.view always the orange line appears but the note won't get marked!

Tried to figure out in the index but couldn't find anything.

Thanx
Maze

DirtRider

Post by DirtRider » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:09 am

I don't think it's possible since the arrangement view is another more structural view of your song, built up with session clips. E.g. you'll have to change the clip, or if it's a variation, copy the original, paste a new one, add the variation and make sure the arrangement uses that one on your specific location.

I nkow if you come from Cubase it's a HUGE adaptation, and I'm not keen at it either (yet) but I think it has its usefullness... somewhere :D

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:15 am

yeah you can do this, you should be able to just click on the midi in the arrangement view and itll appear as editable int hewindow below - edit away... i was doign this last night... though if your looping the midi youll need to copy and past the midi as a single bar and remove from taht otherwise the change reapeats throught the looped midi...

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:23 am

Yep, the important thing is that you have to edit it in the clip view at the bottom.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 pm

Yeah. I found this VERY weird when I started doing my production in live (used to just use it for Live work). Now it's second nature.

If you're wanting to add a variation to a looped drumbeat then "split" the looped midi sequence on either side of where you want to do your edit (ctrl-e is like the scissors tool in other DAWs). Then this bar is it's own independent entity from the rest of the looped beat. Now edit away in clip view at the bottom.

I think a choice between having changes in one part of a looped clip propogate to all others or not would be a very useful feature.

DirtRider

Post by DirtRider » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:32 pm

Erm wait you're confusing me now, so this means you alter the clip of the session view in arrangement view, or do you create a new clip?

me no follow! 8O

maze23a

Thanx

Post by maze23a » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanx,now i understand tried it and it works.

Couldn't believe it would'nt!!

borg

Post by borg » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:38 pm

DirtRider wrote:me no follow! 8O
give yourself some time to get used to this concept of Live...
session and arrangement are seperate parts. to make it simple: if you're in session and hit the record button at the top, everything you do will be recorded into arrangement. if you stop the recording and switch over to arrangement view, you'll see everything you've done. still with me, i guess. now, if you edit clips/envelopes or whatever in arrangement, it won't change the info in the session clips and vice versa. you actually copied clips in a particular order from session into arrangement.

hope this helps.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

DirtRider

Post by DirtRider » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:21 pm

borg wrote:
DirtRider wrote:me no follow! 8O
you actually copied clips in a particular order from session into arrangement.

hope this helps.
It sure did, NOW I get it ;)

Thanks!