Multi-processor support, now is the time!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
acidman

Post by acidman » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:45 pm

i´m also waiting for this long time ago.

if it will be supported, then i will buy an amd dual opteron system

dual cpu with dual core ;o)
4gb of ram. numa feature activated ....

samples in a ramdrive and voila ...

we all have to wait for this ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Play

Post by Play » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:23 pm

I was on an iMac G3 500mhz (it's what I've learned on) and working on a track in Reason 2.5. It started freezing when I ran about 7 tracks and was playing along with a MIDI controller. I decided to invest in a long overdue upgrade and bought a Dual 1.42 Ghz Powermac with 2 Gig RAM and bought Live 5.0.2. Naturally assuming I would be able to fly. Now I'm getting freezes playing 1 Audio & 3 MIDI tracks!? I am very upset about this. Please Ableton, give us dual processor support. It is all your software is miising in my opinion so far. I am very impressed with how effortlessly thoughts can come together in Live.

Aye!! Dual Processor Support!!

Rolo

Post by Rolo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:29 pm

Yes please. Ableton really is very processor hungry compared to SX. I always hit a wall before I have enough tracks of audio on my dual core p4 3ghz.

Rolo.

Toonman

Post by Toonman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:23 pm

Funny... I emailed Ableton about this before reaching for my wallet. I really hope it'll be addressed. Multi-processor multi-core systems are a reality now, and with Windows XP64 on the doorstep, it will not be unusual to see a 4-processor double core computer with 16 GB RAM (affording it will be different :wink: ). If Live can be multi-threaded, it'll definitely make a difference :D

Tony Starks

Post by Tony Starks » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:00 pm

Yeah I asked about this the other week, no reply from Abelton.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28312

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 pm

Yezzz! It's about time to get the Processor Affinity to both/all CPUs now, Abes :!: It's still just running on one of them, i really wonder why; this was a problem in 4.x too!!

I'm running HT, not multi, btw.
be-be - an eL, an eS and be a Dee
- the orb -

marky

Post by marky » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:28 am

Bump!

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 am

The Abes had a man that watched and supported us on the forum, he named himself "Alex", and worked for the Abes. But this was before the release of 5.x, and now i wonder if he just monitored the forum to get an insight in what kind of different problems 4.x caused -so the Abes could avoid those in 5.x. Now, "Alex" is dead, or sometheing :roll:

Bottom line: They seem to give a big, smelly piece of shit helping any of us out after 5.x :evil:

WAKE UP, ABLETONIA :!: :!: :!:
- the orb -

forge

Post by forge » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:54 pm

myztmuzic wrote:The Abes had a man that watched and supported us on the forum, he named himself "Alex", and worked for the Abes. But this was before the release of 5.x, and now i wonder if he just monitored the forum to get an insight in what kind of different problems 4.x caused -so the Abes could avoid those in 5.x. Now, "Alex" is dead, or sometheing :roll:

Bottom line: They seem to give a big, smelly piece of shit helping any of us out after 5.x :evil:

WAKE UP, ABLETONIA :!: :!: :!:

dont worry, you really can rest assured the silence is because they are working their arses off....

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:03 pm

myztmuzic wrote: Now, "Alex" is dead, or sometheing
Thats not far from the truth i believe. But that is because the Abe's are working him to death. :wink:

Seriously.... everytime you don't hear Alex for a while.... Then you just know something is cooking at Ableton.

I mean. no real new issues are being reported. Just the same bugs over and over again. They know what to do. They just need to do it.

Oh yeah. Bump for multiple cpu support :D

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:55 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
myztmuzic wrote: Now, "Alex" is dead, or sometheing
Thats not far from the truth i believe. But that is because the Abe's are working him to death. :wink:
Hope the silence's not caused by he's already been worked to death, then :D
- the orb -

kettensaege

Post by kettensaege » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:47 pm

bump ... prettyplease with sugar on top?

xl5

Post by xl5 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:29 pm

forge wrote: dont worry, you really can rest assured the silence is because they are working their arses off....
Frankly, whether or not Alex is around makes no difference at all. Even when Alex made interventions on this forum, he never made one about multi-threading. The subject of multiple processor support didn't just start with this thread. It's been a problem for a while now and Ableton never commented on it. And for those of you thinking their silence is a sign that they are working on it, all I can say is that many people (who all believe Live is an incridible song writing application) before you said the same thing but only to realise that multi-processor support was still missing when they rolled out Live 5 months ago. So in this case silence means "we have nothing to say about it". How much would it cost them to make a simple statement on the subject? A simple "We're looking into it" or "We can't do it". Anything, just admit you can't figure out what to do with this problem. IF it's the case of course. But don't keep Live users guessing like that.

But they probably won't come out and say "Don't wait for this as it's not gonna happen soon". Why? Because a lot of people, including me, would start thinking that the future of music making won't include Live in their set up anymore. So business wise its a better move for them to keep radio silence on the matter. Do they only have time to put in this matter anyway? They seem to be working so hard already just to get 5 working as it is, 4 months after it's release. It's a shame because after all is said and done Live 5 is unacceptably processor power hungry compare to any other DAW available. Yeah, yeah, I know the cliche, Live is not a DAW and blablabla. OK then, but will your "Not a DAW" support multi-threading YES or NO ? I don't know, maybe some sort of petition would make them come out. But don't get your hopes too high.

But then again, my favorite thing in the world is to be proven wrong (apart from Live 4 that is).
Last edited by xl5 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marky

Post by marky » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:18 pm

Yeah, I'm sticking with Live 4 for composition until 5 gets it's CPU usage sorted out, if it ever does.

I've heard lots of people argue that Live does "something other DAWs doesn't" .. which means 2 things - realtime beatwarping and keeping the audio running no matter what (though timing falls apart when CPU usage hits 80% so what's the point..)

If it's not possible to give us multi-processor support or more efficient CPU usage in this mode, I'd suggest a button labeled "mix mode" which switches off realtime warping and gives us our CPU usage back in line with what we expect from other DAWs..

Rolo

Stuff

Post by Rolo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Is there any hope of a workaround of some sort? Maybe running some other app that can host the VSTs in a different process? Or multiple copies of Ableton or something?

I'm clutching at straws a bit methinks... must admin to not knowing much about how dual core systems work.

Rolo.