show more than one automation at a time in arrange window

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:12 pm

i guess i'll throw my mock-up pic here, for posterity:

Daim

Post by Daim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm

hm this was an important one.. i think for most of the users more important than video..

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:24 am

although, the potential to use the video feature as a way to make a clip a "tempo master" looks like it is going to be really cool
Robert Henke wrote: And the development of the video feature had a great side effect: you now can choose an audio clip, set warp markers in it and define this clip as master. it will play completely unalterd but the song tempo will follow to match the warp markers.
Add a MIDI or audio track to a free jazz performance.... yeah....

You might not want to use the video but you will like this if you are into remixing or if you just want to edit non computerised music and still use a beat grid!
Think about this, how much coud this simplify and speed up editing of anykind of music ! Or how could this help doing radio features / commercials.
The more i think of it the more i like this.....

Robert

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:09 pm

:? I really can't believe this hasn't been implemented in 6 - I know there's a lot of stuff on the development agenda, but this is a fundamental aspect of a proper DAW.

Serves me right I guess - the only feature I've ever requested was to be able to set a clip as a tempo master (and lo & behold it's here!) - but that was with the assumption that this automation view would have been much higher on the list of priorities & much easier to do

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:22 pm

I agree about the core features that are missing, there's a few obvious ommisions that I would have gone for over the items they did choose.

EG: although racks are all very splendid - they don't actually address a problem , I could do much the same thing previously simply by using multiple tracks - a workaround - but it's pretty much the same.

Compare the need for racks to the need for a 'drum map' , something that there is no workaround for, yet I imagine a lot of Live users program drums.

racks are nice, drum maps necessary.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:26 pm

Perhaps in 6.1 8)

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Angstrom wrote: Compare the need for racks to the need for a 'drum map' , something that there is no workaround for, yet I imagine a lot of Live users program drums.

racks are nice, drum maps necessary.
I have noticed that there is a general midi template of sorts for the racks. I cant remember any more than that at the moment but if you can remap notes then drum maps could be made don't you think? im not sure to be honest.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:31 pm

YES! I want to see multiple automation curves! It is a pain to actually mark a point on screen with your finger before switching parameter (I've done that..) or having to memorize/write down which bar/beat something is supposed to happen to be in sync.

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

No feature would make me happier than to have multiple automation lines visable at the same time. Please!
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

rand

Post by rand » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:27 am

Yeaaaa... me too!
:P

Okke

Post by Okke » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:07 pm

+1

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:15 pm

one more vote here

mdk

Post by mdk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:08 pm

another +1 for this. essential feature.

also the general automation editing could do with a bit of attention.

1. Smoothing control points.

After i've recorded my tweaks in via my midi controller I then have to spend ages removing lots of excess points to be able to edit the automation by hand effectively.
Ideally we could select a range of points and choose to smooth them out, preferably with different strength settings. The strength settings can relate to the maximum change in angle of the automation curve below which any points get removed.

Basically a user selectable smoothing algorithm.

2. Curves.

If there are two points in the automation it would be much easier to be able to choose a curve rather than having to record / edit one by hand. Even just a few preset curve shapes would do, it doesnt have to be editable beziers or anything fancy.

Combine those two with the multi-automation lanes and thats it, im a happy man with all i need from Live. :)

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:39 am

mdk wrote:another +1 for this. essential feature.

also the general automation editing could do with a bit of attention.

1. Smoothing control points.

After i've recorded my tweaks in via my midi controller I then have to spend ages removing lots of excess points to be able to edit the automation by hand effectively.
Ideally we could select a range of points and choose to smooth them out, preferably with different strength settings. The strength settings can relate to the maximum change in angle of the automation curve below which any points get removed.

Basically a user selectable smoothing algorithm.

2. Curves.

If there are two points in the automation it would be much easier to be able to choose a curve rather than having to record / edit one by hand. Even just a few preset curve shapes would do, it doesnt have to be editable beziers or anything fancy.

yes please

Combine those two with the multi-automation lanes and thats it, im a happy man with all i need from Live. :)

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:09 pm

yup I like the thread's request and mdk's feature. Also to record automation on clips directly.