midiStroke .5 - free midi to keystroke convertor for OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 pm

a small bump to see if there have been anz developments in that app bigbadotis was talking about to use multiple controllers with midistroke

kiwipicker

Post by kiwipicker » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:30 pm

ditto to jrathkopf question.
cheers

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Still working on it... hope to release a beta soon. I'm behind.

But here's a teaser pic... on the left hand side you have triggers, just like midiStroke, on the right hand side you have the actions each trigger generates.

In this image I've selected a MIDI NoteOn trigger in the range of 35 - 70 with any velocity value on channel 1. It will trigger a MIDI NoteOn message, possibly trigger a change in mouse cursor position depending on the value of a variable, trigger a keystroke 'a', wait for an 1/8th note (the app syncs to midi clock) and then trigger keystroke 'c'.

There's an easily accessible guide to make sense of what all the table data means for the different trigger / action types. As of now, midi messages, keystrokes, and HID devices (gamepads, mice, etc) can be used as triggers.

The below image is a little more complicated than midiStroke, but setting up MIDI > Keystroke actions is actually almost exactly the same as it is in midiStroke. My hope is that it will be easy for people to get started with the app but also allow people who want to spend a little bit of time to make more complicated setups.

The app is called triggerhappy.

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:03 pm

DAMN.....looks perfect!!!!if you need a tester, let me know.
looks awesome, sorely missing for the macs

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Yes, i wonat test that nice appz, too : )
Looks really good !! : )

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:56 am

This looks awesome!

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:59 pm

is this still being developed?

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:26 pm

wow, this looks great - how is this new app coming along ?
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:23 pm

I'm sorry that it's taking so long, especially because I'm really excited about it. I'm going to have to wait until over xmas break most likely to release a beta... there's some small Leopard related bugs that I need to iron out.

My goal is to release the beta before xmas, and release the final version sometime around the middle of January. I'll have a solid 3 weeks to work on it over break, so this seems really feasible to me.

For the most part, it works great, and I'm enjoying using it personally. Just want to make sure the known bugs are squashed before I let people find new ones.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:43 pm

Also,

Before people get too excited, I wanted to mention that I will be charging for this app, which is the main reason I'm not just throwing the beta out now half finished. It will most likely have an introductory price of $20, and then go up to $25 after a couple of weeks. This is substantially less than most comparable commercial apps I've checked out (Bomes, Junxion etc.), but of course, each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

The plus side to this is that there will be extensive documentation, video tutorials, and support.

midiStroke and controlAid will still be available to download for free.

robin

Post by robin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:32 am

Good to see you working on this Charlie. I'll have no problem paying if it can do more than midiStroke (which I love).

Please keep us posted.

sawatzki

TriggerHappy beta?

Post by sawatzki » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Wow... that's a smooth teaser you are showing there! I'd love to beta-test it...
I'm a looping violinist that uses FCB1010, padKONTROL and BCF200 (and a joystick thru JunXion)

To everybody that has difficulties with midistroke and the undo keystroke:

do make sure that your key is LOWERCASE!! so, it'd be "z" and APPLE, not "Z" and APPLE.
Ableton Live 8 controlled by Automap Universal? Second our request at this topic!

stubba

Post by stubba » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:44 am

I've been using Midistroke for a while to delete clips etc but am having a strange issue I can't quite get my head around.
Here's what's goin on:

I use the top octave on my Axiom49 to control record slots for different instruments (white keys) and fx on/off on my main input channel (black keys - EG reverb on/off is F#). The top octave of keys is setup so that when I change preset, the octave within those keys change, so I can record into different slots just by changing preset in the Axiom. So far, so good.

I had originally set up some of the black keys to turn on/off the FX on my main input channel. Of course, when I change preset on the Axiom, the midi note I'm sending to Live changes and I can only turn on/off the FX in one preset. Get it?

Enter Midistroke:

in theory I can send each different octave of (EG) F# (reverb on/off as above) to the same key command (in this case "R". Yes - it's uppercase).
This works fine. With "R"!
I have a lowercase r with the shift modifier set in Midistroke and it turns on and off my reverb in each preset. Excellent!
Except here's where it falls over.
I set up exactly the same thing with the letters "D" and "E" to control the Delay and Erosion plugins on the same channel and it doesn't work!

I follow the same setup procedures and only the "R" works.
I've tried both versions of Midistroke (082 and the current version) with the same result.
If I open Textedit and hit the keys on the Axiom I get: "R" "D" and "E" as it should be.
I can even edit the keyboard map, assign the reverb on/off to "R" USING THE KEY THE AXIOM IS SENDING (not the laptop keyboard) and assign the others to their corresponding on/off controls in the same way and ONLY THE "R" works!
I don't get it!
The on/offs of the other devices perform as expected when using midi control signals, just not with a keyboard.
When I hit the "R" note response is as expected but when I hit a "D" or "E", the orange "KEY" light flashes and that's about it.
It's the same if I try assigning "R", "E" and "D" to clip slots - the R one goes but the others do not.
I open Midistroke BEFORE I open Live.

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Stubba

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:03 am

Sounds like you have the Computer MIDI Keyboard switch (in the upper right hand corner) turned on. That will disable “E” and “D”, but not “R”. Turn that off and you should be good.

stubba

Post by stubba » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 am

Excellent!

Many thanks metastatik.

And after R'n TFM I figured why that is so!

No black note on R.

Cheers.