RAM usage increase when Live minimizes then maximizes

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
timothyallan

RAM usage increase when Live minimizes then maximizes

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:37 am

The first project I've started in a 5 version that wasn't the beta...

The project loads, and uses about 800mb RAM, which seems a little high as there is only 8 audio tracks and a few plugins... however, the fun part happens when i minimize it and then maximize it. (Note that this also happens if i switch to another app, then back to Live). If I keep taskmanager open, I can see that Live will all of a sudden gobble up 200mb more RAM each time I switch to another app and switch back.

It gets up to 1.9gb of RAM usage (my poor laptop only has 2gb), then gives me a "Not enough memory" error and promptly slams my processor to 100%. This leads me to do the 15 minute molasses mouse where you try and end the Live5 task without hard rebooting your machine...

Anybody else get this?

Cheers,
Tim

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:42 am

hey tim,

doesn't change over here. but os x was always pretty good at memory management.

are you using any VSTi's? I'm thinking Native Instruments?

b.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:46 am

i was originally, but i have rendered 80% of them to audio.

Next step is to render everything to audio so there are no non-ableton vst's and see if it still happens. If so, then its time to email the .als to the Abes :)

-t

kineticUk

Check the memory ableton

Post by kineticUk » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:23 pm

I have noticed something similar with live holding loads in memory even when sets have been closed.I am using OSX 10.4.2 and most other programs seem to get rid of whats been in memory after songs close etc but live doesnt.
I think maybe there are a few things the developers need to check out cause if its not using memory properly the impact on the performace of the program in general will be bad.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 am

okay, ive narrowed it down heaps.

If i rename my vst folder (i.e. NO vsts), it still does the same thing.
If i change my sound drivers to something other than my Motu828mk2, it does NOT exhibit the problem.

So, its not a vst thing, its an audio thing. I reinstalled the latest motu drivers and that still didnt help.

Also, it only seems to happen once the project gets to a certain size. It never occurs when i am first starting projects, but once I get to a point where they are almost done (24+ tracks, 4-5 returns, plugins galore), THEN this wierd RAM issue starts happening. Which really really really sucks, because I cannot finish a song at all in Live 5 anymore.

-Tim

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:19 am

This is still happening with the .2b3 and it happens to all my large projects, even without using any vsts.

Also, the memory increase happens when I switch my audio buffers too. So if i'm running 512 samples, and bump it up to 1024, there is that little glitch, then another huge chunk of RAM gets eaten (200-500mb).

I've got a live gig next week and now the project wont open in Live 4 as i saved it in v5!

System specs are WinXP SP2, 2gb RAM, Motu 828Mkii, no vsts, P-M 2Ghz