Win10. Ableton imports 25-50% of stems to wrong size/tempo (solved. see 1st reply)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aira-ites

Win10. Ableton imports 25-50% of stems to wrong size/tempo (solved. see 1st reply)

Post by Aira-ites » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:58 pm

[UPDATE: I tried putting the same stems into audacity, which loaded them as normal, but, on exporting, ableton is still rendering them incorrectly when i load them into ableton. It's definitely ableton, not caustic 3.2 nor audacity)
[UPDATE 2: Having to get-a-round by individually recording each mis-rendered stem live from audacity into ableton! groan!]

I thought this was a problem with my caustic 3.2 virtual rack on which i create stems for use in ableton 11.
many stems will load as they should. Some, like hi-hat, for example, instead of being halfway between straight fout-2-the-floor kicks, will be ''on'' beat instead.Whilst other stems in the same project, which should be aspproximately the exact same length as the others, somehow are as little as a third of their true length, and too fast, as if they have been speeded up, hence the shorter length.
I haven't a clue what's up. But it is definately NOT Caustic 3.2 that's doing it. It seems to be ableton.

How do i know? Because I popped the same stems into Audacity, and caustic 3.2 is DEFINITELY exporting them as normal size/tempo.
I may try exporting as wavs from audacity to see if ableton somehow reads and writes them differently from it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you find a solution beyond my being about to attempt re-exporting them to abletion, one at a time, from audacity?

Here are the screenshots showing ableton with exactly the same stems loaded in as is shown also in the audacity screenshot.
In audacity they are all around the same length. And it is clear that in ableton, they look as though they are not even from the same composition.

(here are the direct links to screenshots as i'm not seeing the ''img'' ones above: https://ibb.co/R7yDdcg (ableton)
https://ibb.co/d7yxhSs (audacity)
Last edited by Aira-ites on Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pitch Black

Re: Win10. Ableton imports 25-50% of stems to wrong size/tempo

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:43 pm

Turn off “Auto-Warp Long Samples” in Live’s Record/Launch/Warp preferences BEFORE you import your stems, and they’ll come in perfectly every time.

Say you have a set of stems from another project or app at 128bpm, open a new blank project in Live, set the tempo to 128bpm, then (with Auto-Warp switched OFF on prefs as mentioned above) drag the stems into Live. Then, if needed, enable warping on the stems in the Detail View.

If the stems are properly exported (with the exact same start point) this works perfectly every time.
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

Aira-ites

Re: Win10. Ableton imports 25-50% of stems to wrong size/tempo

Post by Aira-ites » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:43 pm
Turn off “Auto-Warp Long Samples” in Live’s Record/Launch/Warp preferences BEFORE you import your stems, and they’ll come in perfectly every time.

Say you have a set of stems from another project or app at 128bpm, open a new blank project in Live, set the tempo to 128bpm, then (with Auto-Warp switched OFF on prefs as mentioned above) drag the stems into Live. Then, if needed, enable warping on the stems in the Detail View.

If the stems are properly exported (with the exact same start point) this works perfectly every time.
PERFECT.
As I've never needed to use warp/auto warp, I'd likely never have thunk upon that.
So, a very big THANKS for that one.