P3 pad sensitivity - Honest opinions?

Discuss Push with other users.
panten

P3 pad sensitivity - Honest opinions?

Post by panten » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Is there anyone that owns all 3 Push models that can give an honest opinion on the Push3 pad sensitivity and playability for Drums and Instruments?
The videos that I've seen suggest that the pads are a LOT better than previous models and this alone is something that might entice me into upgrading.

Tarekith

Re: P3 pad sensitivity - Honest opinions?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:13 pm

In terms of sensitivity I think they are WAY more sensitive at lower playing forces, you can more easily get a lot more expression out of them and for me at least it's a lot more repeatable.

However, they are also a lot shallower and stiffer too, not as thick and bouncy as before. I think it's great for melodic playing, but I could see how some finger drummers MIGHT not prefer them. That's not really what I'm into so I might not be the best judge either, maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:05 am

Those pads's sensitivity is fantastic, it feels really disappointing to use P2 now. They're miles ahead imo and work differently under-the-hood (gestures are detected with light).
Way more controllable and more repeatable as Tarekith said.
They're awesome for finger drumming imo, the dynamic you get with acoustic drum kits is mind blowing. Their size is basically the same as on P2, so if you're confortable finger drumming on P2, then you'll feel at home regarding size.
If you put the Standalone option aside, the pads are definitely THE reason to upgrade and where most of the innovation lives.
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.
I've been finger drumming for a long time and have always been on the lookout for the perfect pads. I actually really loved the pads on the Push 1, more than Push 2 which kind of feels a bit hit or miss RE: consistency.

I do a lot of ghost hits and syncopated rhythms and the Push2 just isn't cutting it unfortunately, even though I love the screen and most other things about it.

If I get the Push 3 I will own every model in the pursuit of the perfect finger drumming pads. Funny enough if I'd just gone for a Maschine which I've always wanted to try I'd probably have that by now but Push is such a creative beast I can't give it up :D

wesslan_2049

Post by wesslan_2049 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 am

panten wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:15 am
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.
I've been finger drumming for a long time and have always been on the lookout for the perfect pads. I actually really loved the pads on the Push 1, more than Push 2 which kind of feels a bit hit or miss RE: consistency.

I do a lot of ghost hits and syncopated rhythms and the Push2 just isn't cutting it unfortunately, even though I love the screen and most other things about it.

If I get the Push 3 I will own every model in the pursuit of the perfect finger drumming pads. Funny enough if I'd just gone for a Maschine which I've always wanted to try I'd probably have that by now but Push is such a creative beast I can't give it up :D
So far I think the pads are great!
Sensitivity is tweakable in P3s settings and I haven't even looked into that.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:18 am

panten wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:15 am
I've been finger drumming for a long time and have always been on the lookout for the perfect pads.
One P3 killer feature for finger drumming that P1 and P2 don't have (I don't know if others like Maschine do) is that the pads accept "double-strokes", i.e if you're hitting a pad while you're still having the previous finger resting on it, P3 will detect this 2nd trigger while P1/2 will simply can't deal with this.
That improves the finger drumming response tremendously :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:33 am

jur that sounds crazy good. That's always been an issue in the past when trying to do fast triplets or flams.

Sounds like Push3 is the way to go when it comes to nuanced drumming, and we've not even talked about adding variation to the sound in the xy of the pad.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:07 pm

panten wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:32 pm
Is there anyone that owns all 3 Push models that can give an honest opinion on the Push3 pad sensitivity and playability for Drums and Instruments?
The videos that I've seen suggest that the pads are a LOT better than previous models and this alone is something that might entice me into upgrading.
They are more sensitive. I think the biggest reason is because MPE kind of works well with more sensitive pads, (which might not be as important for just general Drum triggering).

That said the tweaking system is alot more convoluted and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Even the videos are somewhat obtuse about it.

drez

Post by drez » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:20 pm

I completely agree with jur. I have owned all 3 push since release date and this is by far the best feeling pads. I finger drum a ton and ghost notes are so much easier. I prefer a larger 4x4 "maschine size" pad layout (I own a mikro just for the purpose of finger drumming) becasue there's more space. If Ableton made a 4x4 standard pad size companion with MPE, it would be the best finger drum experience available, IMO.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty