can't move clips around quickly?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
illsub1

can't move clips around quickly?

Post by illsub1 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Ok I'm using over 70 tracks in this project I am working on and whenever I try to move clips in arrangement view it takes 4-5 seconds to refresh. This also occurs when I use Ctrl-D to Duplicate. I can however resize, do other edits, copy, paste, and drag clips into the arrangement from the browser relatively quickly. I am only at around 55% CPU. Is this a bug or is there a workaround? TIA!! I still have to track the vocals.

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:58 pm

YEs this is one of the most frustrating things about live for me, moving clips around the arrangement, in a very busy set, sometimes takes like 10-20 seconds to drop!! Its crazy and drives me crazy when I want to get on with an arrangement - you can work around it by dragging end/start points and then cutting, but what about unlooped one-shot samples?? It would be easier to put them in Impulse and use MIDI but sometimes its nice to arrange with audio, esp in Live which gives so much creative scope in this respect.

Please Abe's I know I've ranted about this before, but it really bugs me. I was actually embarrassed after going on about Live to a mate, when we were trying to get some tight arrangement done on a near-finished tune in Live5 (which is around 80% cpu) it just took so long, we both got frustrated and gave up in the end ... then went to work on a tune in Cubase SX, thought I would never say it but it was like a breath of fresh air!! (in terms of clean and fast arrangement editing)

Dont get me wrong I LOVE LIVE but there are still a few things that need ironing out ... and I know the Abe's are listening. Anyway, rant over.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:09 am

elemental wrote:YEs this is one of the most frustrating things about live for me, moving clips around the arrangement, in a very busy set, sometimes takes like 10-20 seconds to drop!! Its crazy and drives me crazy when I want to get on with an arrangement - you can work around it by dragging end/start points and then cutting, but what about unlooped one-shot samples?? It would be easier to put them in Impulse and use MIDI but sometimes its nice to arrange with audio, esp in Live which gives so much creative scope in this respect.

Please Abe's I know I've ranted about this before, but it really bugs me. I was actually embarrassed after going on about Live to a mate, when we were trying to get some tight arrangement done on a near-finished tune in Live5 (which is around 80% cpu) it just took so long, we both got frustrated and gave up in the end ... then went to work on a tune in Cubase SX, thought I would never say it but it was like a breath of fresh air!! (in terms of clean and fast arrangement editing)

Dont get me wrong I LOVE LIVE but there are still a few things that need ironing out ... and I know the Abe's are listening. Anyway, rant over.
I agree. I'm having problems with even basic stuff with L5, but I do have to say that I've just about given up on Live for large compositions now because I do not want to grow old waiting for a section to duplicate.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:49 am

bump

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:41 pm

* bump *

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tap tap tap ... has it moved yet?

also copying and pasting takes aaaaggggeeeezzzzz (guess its the same thing )

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:24 pm

just to not make this thread convoluted, most of my basic problems have gone, but Live is still difficult to operate with complex projects.

envyro

Post by envyro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:42 am

agree

same problems here

bump!

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 am

Yes, terrible! 50 tracks and arranging is already much too slow!!! I consider this almost a showstopper bug :-(
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:33 am

Btw, it starts slowing down with empty(!) tracks also! Just create 60 or more tracks and place one clip somewhere into the arrangement. The moving of this one(!) clip is terrible slow! I hope this gets fixed as soon as possible! Was Live4 better in this regard?
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 am

Alien Leg wrote: Was Live4 better in this regard?
no

astar

Post by astar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:06 pm

same issue here, this definitely needs to be addressed!

makes it impossible to work in arrange view with large sets

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:25 am

I am getting this now with Live 5.02 ... very frustrating when trying to get a track arrangeent finished!

Is there an explanation of why it can take so long?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:43 am

I keep running into this too, very frustrating. 5.02 here as well....

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:38 am

This problem is annoying as hell. :?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:31 am

agreed, it slows down workflow and creativity on large projects.

If you can, open task manager and watch your processor when you are waiting for the clip to move. It zips up to 100% and stays there until its done. It's almost like it's parsing or iterating through a ton of values, but not very efficiently (or there is just a -ton- of stuff to iterate through and it is efficient, who knows).

It was better in 4, but still was an issue.