select on launch via MIDI

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm

My bad, let me be more specific. When you have something "mapped to a midi knob" and you change(tweak) with the knob, then hit ctrl z(undo) it will return to previous state, except for knobs mapped in the clip view. Sure any knob adjusted with the mouse will undo, including clip knobs. I bring this up in the topic only because once we get select on launch and it looks like we will at this point, anything mapped in the clip view will be global to any clip in focus(selected). I like to for instance map my transpose knob to my controller and adjust that knob on the fly, but its hard to adjust that knob back to original position quick with a midi knob so I hit ctrl z, not happening for midi assignments in the clip view. Machinate, you were using the mouse, correct?

amo

Post by amo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:02 pm

Go and check the latest beta mates !
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

rab

Post by rab » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:23 pm

IT WORKS!!

Thank you, Ableton!!

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:56 pm

sweet!!!!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

astar

Post by astar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:10 am

Beautiful!

wow.. Gotta love the Abletons :)

I love finally owning a piece of software where the developers actually listen to their customers!

blank

Post by blank » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:02 am

i'm in
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:17 pm

blank wrote:i'm in
psyche. It is not the same as it was in Live 3, not 100% of the time consistent. Apparently the "clip grid" has to be "highlighted" with the little box around it--if the effect/clip view or other area of the interface is "highlighted" then select on launch via midi in Live 5 does NOT work. See this thread for a full run-down:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28694

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

rab

Post by rab » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:51 am

Apparently the "clip grid" has to be "highlighted" with the little box around it
This is true, and it is quite a pain. It seems that manipulating a volume control in the track mixer or doing many other mundane things changes focus away from the clip grid, and if a clip is launched via midi it does not get selected. Argh. This is only barely better than what we had in 5.0.1.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:52 pm

word. while I appreciate the awesome effort to bring something back and change stuff btwn 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 (how many other companies are that responsive?!?), they missed the mark in a major way with this highlighted business. Clearly we need it to work every time---one of the points is to help cut back on mouse use, and it is hard to being the clip grid into focus without the mouse of midi translating alt and up arrows to navigate. They had it perfect in 3, I hope they can manage to make 5 behave like 3 in this case.

Ryan

supster

Post by supster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:26 pm

this issue in particular makes me think theres something pretty wrong:

getting the clipview focused when selecting the clip from whatever source should be a pretty straightforward matter.

ie ... its not adding a new warp mode, or a freeze function, or any other huge technology upgrade. its a detail feature - a very important one - but a detail feature by comparison

why is it so hard?

sheer speculation but ... something might have gone fundamentally wrong with the design and execution of the underlying code somewhere along the line. there are dependencies on this there probably shouldnt be, and theyre making it difficult to straighten certain things out. this being one of them

i'm really hoping that whatever basic problems there are with the way Live is coded are being seriously looked at ... and that they are considering a ground up overhaul in some areas ...

i doubt we'll get a public acknowledgement of this from ableton, but this might be the case.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:05 pm

word, I'm afraid of this too, and have thought along those same lines. As sweet most of the feature additions from 3>4 and 4>5 have been, I sure hope they give themselves more than a year before trying to release a whole other new version, with new issues to deal with and unfortunate changes to useful, long-time features (don't even get me started on 5 presets and scrubbing :roll: ). Plus, those Abletons seem like they must be working themselves silly. I hope too that they get a chance to make sure all the ducks are in a row, and that some of the issues and unfortunate changes get ironed out and dealt with in full before taking another quantum leap.

Ryan

supster

Post by supster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:48 pm

quandry wrote:
I sure hope they give themselves more than a year before trying to release a whole other new version, with new issues to deal with and unfortunate changes to useful, long-time features

I hope too that they get a chance to make sure all the ducks are in a row, and that some of the issues and unfortunate changes get ironed out and dealt with in full before taking another quantum leap.

i totally 100% agree this is what really needs to be done.

i think the source of a lot of the gaps and problems are that they pushed too hard to make the once per year realease date

granted they're a growing company and its admirable they tried to do that, but i think it worked against them with this version in a big way

i would be totally happy if they released a (free to registered users!) 5.5 update sometime by next summer, that really tightens up what needs to be done and fills in the gaps with some of the detail issues like this one and a few others ..

.. then waited until late 06 or even 07 for version 6. its either that or compound problem over problem im afraid :(

ps: if they need to keep the big revenues coming in, a really nice addon along the lines of Operator would probably work out just fine in leiu of the version update. this is what makes sense to me anyway .. ...
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:36 am

im with you guys 100%.
i got faith it'll happen :)
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

justjacker333

Post by justjacker333 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 pm

ben_blue wrote:im with you guys 100%.
i got faith it'll happen :)
Exactly. I think general persistence is the key. Keep at em Quandry, this would be a BIG feature for the majority of live 'Live' users, not just a luxury addition to the feature list.