select on launch via MIDI

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
astar

Post by astar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:39 am

Quandry, I couldn't agree with you more...

I don't see how Ableton can put a video of Kid Beyond on their main site advertising Live as a live looping tool and yet not have such an important feature as this included in the latest version :(

I seriously doubt Kid Beyond could use anything past Live 3 for his stage stuff (maybe I'm wrong but I would see it as a disadvantage for someone to upgrade to version 4 and up if you're using it for this purpose!)

cheers

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 am

as far as the midi mapping to see clips' properties..
i know some know...but just wanted to calrify, at least until the wonderful abes change it,

Bomes' translator works perfect, is easy, and TINY. the F12 key toggles between clip properties and track FX view! Try it! If u dont have Bomes, go get it now, and thank me later! Its free - go google it! so u can make your midi key translate to F12 (or any other keystroke or sequence of em....

and yes it still stinks you cant select on launch via midi, as expected.

im sure if we all continually rally behind it, very nicely, they will listen and adapt it.

/ben
Last edited by ben_blue on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 am

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:37 pm

ben_blue wrote:as far as the midi mapping to see clips' properties..
i know some know...but just wanted to calrify, at least until the wonderful abes change it,

Bomes' translator works perfect, is easy, and TINY. the F12 key toggles between clip properties and track FX view! Try it! If u dont have Bomes, go get it now, and thank me later! Its free - go google it! so u can make your midi key translate to F12 (or any other keystroke or sequence of em....

and yes it still stinks you cant select on launch via midi, as expected.

im sure if we all continually rally behind it, very nicely, they will listen and adapt it.

/ben
dude, I've been using bomes since 2001. I use it every time I open Live, I know f12, shift tab, alt tab, etc. As I mentioned in my post, like Rab, I use it to delete clips I'm recording on the fly in Live 3. Bomes means shit to me when the clip isn't selected on launch. Most people here (you included?) just found out about Bomes from the kid beyond video, and I'm happy for you, but as Astar noted, it is idiotic they put that out now when they've made it all but impossible to delete clips on the fly. Yeah, Bome's works fine in 2 and 3, and I'll still be giggin with it, but Live should just freeking make a midi mappable delete function, it can't be that hard. Do that, bring back select on launch, voila, worlds best looper.'

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Not just select on launch. Select period. Please.

The new (set / length / etc) loop clip functions are mappable, but you can't select a clip without a mouse?

:?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:29 pm

yes i agree.
sorry if the bolds were, bold...

thanks
/b

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:59 am

Can anyone think why Ableton might have removed this much needed feature? I myself love that they added more mapable buttons, for example the loop button on a clip, now I can assign a key for looping and kinda use that key as a hold or latch button after I trigger the sample. Only freaking problem is this isn't practical(won't work) without Select on Launch!! If I fire off a clip not using the mouse and then hit my assignment for the loop button I'm turning it on for the last selected clip, f@#k!!! Why would you make assignable clip buttons when the clip you triggered is not in focus, makes no sense, specially since there assigned on a basis of clip selected and not per clip. I would go back to 3.0 but then I would not have the mappable loop button.

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:00 pm

nyc_mark wrote:Can anyone think why Ableton might have removed this much needed feature? I myself love that they added more mapable buttons, for example the loop button on a clip, now I can assign a key for looping and kinda use that key as a hold or latch button after I trigger the sample. Only freaking problem is this isn't practical(won't work) without Select on Launch!! If I fire off a clip not using the mouse and then hit my assignment for the loop button I'm turning it on for the last selected clip, f@#k!!! Why would you make assignable clip buttons when the clip you triggered is not in focus, makes no sense, specially since there assigned on a basis of clip selected and not per clip. I would go back to 3.0 but then I would not have the mappable loop button.
Great point, giving even further support to our cause. I do live looping, so I'm always making new clips, never triggering any, but given what you describe I can see that your workflow is even more impeded than mine by this, especially since the new clip transport midi mappable functions are always applied to the selected clip ONLY. It like you may as well lose the ability to trigger clips with MIDI/key assignments, since you have to click on it with the mouse just to select the damn clip. Geez, I see what your describing as even more universally annoying than my live looping problem. Like you said, it seems like a software oxymoron to introduce midi mappable clip controls and make them only apply to the selected clip, but to then remove the "select on launch" feature to INHERENTLY bring the damn mouse back into the equation.

The whole point is to get as much done WITHOUT the mouse as possible--hence the much anticipated midi mappable clip properties. BUT, since "select on launch" is gone, now you MUST USE THE MOUSE to either select the clip you want to scrub, or to launch it--THERE IS NO WAY TO UTILIZE THE NEW MIDI CLIP CONTROLS WITHOUT FIRST USING THE MOUSE TO SELECT THE CLIP. That is VERY counter intuitive. Please fix it.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

astar

Post by astar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:16 pm

It would be nice if one of the Abes could shed some light on this! The only thing they ever mentioned was that it was added "as a mistake" in the early betas of live 5 (see the thread I linked to at the top of this thread) and then removed. How could it be a mistake, it was there in live 3 (???)

It was beautiful in live5b16, I was using the nudge feature to quickly set start positions for multiple clips all via midi and to transpose and loop different clips all in real-time!

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:03 pm

Hey abletons, how about this? You give us the option in Preferences to turn on "Select by Mapping", now once you have that turned on in Preferences any mapped clip be it key or midi will come into focus when that midi note is hit. Now wait one second cause you also can right click once the midi mappings are lite and choose to check(turn on) "Launch on Selection". Problem solved for everyone. You can have Live like it is in its current state, or go into Preferences and activate "Select clip by Mapping", and then you can also choose once you bring in your clips and assign your mappings which one's will Launch on Select and which ones will not, but all your assignments will auto select as per your Pref setup. For you people doing the recording loops on the fly will this setup help you out? Lets get this done people, if not today then tommorrow.

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Just a side note, you can right click on the clip and get a "select on launch pref" but it only effects mouse launches. Now that's just dumb, but then I thought is this a stability issue? I thought let me look at it from the otherside, but the only thing I could think of functionality wise is this. Say you do have your clips selecting per mapping launch, so your firing off clips and messing around with your mappings in the new clip maps( transpose, nudge, loop, warp) what ever you have set up. Perfect some are set to Launch on select and the rest just select when mapped. Now when this is going on the clip view is most likely going to be active and changing between the clips and you see your tweaks taking place in the view, great!! but if you say use your mouse as well(which you would'nt have to but I guess some people need to still), it could get messy for some people. For those of us that have enough midi and key assign we don't won't to use are mouse at all so this wouldn't matter. My example being for instance you double mouse click the A Return which has a Delay on it now thats open in the clip view area ,and tweaking the knob lets say delay feedback, (again, WITH THE MOUSE) as your doing this you fire off a clip with one of your assignments, Live wants to show clip in view and your clicking and dragging that delay feedback knob with your mouse,( possible crash? ) I don't know but ableton might have removed for this reason. But once again maybe an option that the clips get selected but not displayed. Abletons just give use some options many people are using this app in differents ways. Toys were made to be broken, don't limit us for stability issues that generalized for a mass public.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:43 pm

sweetjesus wrote:would be nice to be able to assign a midi note on/off as a trigger source for a 'modifier' which if pressed would let you just "select" the clip only instead of actually triggering it to play.
Yep, yep. This is the one. I'd be VERY happy if this was the case.

:)

rob.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:24 am

robtronik wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:would be nice to be able to assign a midi note on/off as a trigger source for a 'modifier' which if pressed would let you just "select" the clip only instead of actually triggering it to play.

rob.
True. A slight workaround you probably already know for clips that are already playing is to just re-trigger it with your assigned midi/key command, which selects it. Oopps, thats only up til version 3 :roll:

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:56 am

quandry wrote:
robtronik wrote:

rob.
True. A slight workaround you probably already know for clips that are already playing is to just re-trigger it with your assigned midi/key command, which selects it. Oopps, thats only up til version 3 :roll:
right. but that isn't an option for playing whole songs in a clip while DJing... definitely don't want to restart the song from the beginning....

rob.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:03 pm

robtronik wrote:
quandry wrote:
robtronik wrote: Yep, yep. This is the one. I'd be VERY happy if this was the case.

rob.
right. but that isn't an option for playing whole songs in a clip while DJing... definitely don't want to restart the song from the beginning....

rob.
agreed agreed agreed.

so one way of restating it, is to have essentially an added functionality that's just like triggering a clip, except it's just selecting.
of course we dont want to map twice as many midi controls - for normal play and selecting - we just need, as some1 said, a modifier.

wouldnt it be cheeky if we got it and it was a keystroke modifier only!
so just clarifying, we'd need it to be a midi-mappable modifier?

THat combined with midi mappable F12 - to toggle between FX and clip view - and wow, i really think that would make a lot of us very happy, right?