select on launch via MIDI

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
astar

select on launch via MIDI

Post by astar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:09 am

This one was in there in the early betas of LIVE 5 and it was awesome. Now it's gone. Please bring it back! It would make the "on-the-fly" midi control of clip transport waY more intuitive and useful

see this thread:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23799

smartabletonuser

Post by smartabletonuser » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:06 am

yes! yes!

bring it back! How can I control clip properties remotely without this??

it's the only reason I still have to touch my computer during performance.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:17 pm

I second that one!
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:39 pm

This also bothers me...

How are you supposed to reach those (loop on/off - set - etc) properties using midi?

:?

Even better IMO would be a mapping for the track status display.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:53 pm

bu-bump-a-bump-bump.

Select on launch should work for midi as well as for mousing around, shouldn't it...
(and will make that nudge function a lot more useful)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:53 pm

agreed

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:55 pm

ooh, ooh. Add it for the operator view too.

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:46 am

I support this feature, and if it was in the early beta's would like to know why it was removed. If you can activate select on launch in prefernces for the mouse click launch, I don't see why this does not activate that feature for midi and key launch.

nyc_mark

Post by nyc_mark » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:12 am

I read previous posts why this was removed(buggy), still support its return, I mean its great that you can now assign clip knobs but whats the use if you still have to select that clip via mouse after you have just launched it via midi or key assignments. Anyone still have the previous beta's that had this feature?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:27 am

would be nice to be able to assign a midi note on/off as a trigger source for a 'modifier' which if pressed would let you just "select" the clip only instead of actually triggering it to play.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:58 am

astar

Post by astar » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:00 pm

sweetjesus wrote:would be nice to be able to assign a midi note on/off as a trigger source for a 'modifier' which if pressed would let you just "select" the clip only instead of actually triggering it to play.
for sure, we need the option to select on launch with midi but also a toggle so that you can also just select clips (without launching) using midi control as well

this would be awesome for making quick adjustments to large sessions without having to reach for the mouse!

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:25 pm

sweetjesus wrote:would be nice to be able to assign a midi note on/off as a trigger source for a 'modifier' which if pressed would let you just "select" the clip only instead of actually triggering it to play.
100% agreed !!!!
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

rab

Post by rab » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:15 pm

Agreed. The ability to select a clip upon MIDI launch is an essential feature. It is present in Live3. I tried Live4, but they had removed that feature (without mentioning it anywhere, to boot!).

Fast forward to the Live5 beta. I was a beta tester, and was thrilled to see that it was back. But by the time I bought my copy of the final release, it had been removed again. They love to cite the fact that Live4 didn't have the feature as justification for removing it from Live5. But it was part of Live3, so I still consider it a regression over past versions.

I absolutely cannot play out in a live setting without this feature. When I'm recording a clip during a show, I MUST be able to delete the currently recording clip using my foot pedal (Behringer FCCB-1010) if I fudge a note, and have another shot on the next go-around. I have a pedal mapped to a MIDI note, and Bome's MIDI translator turns that into a delete keypress. If the clip isn't selected, though, I'm up a creek.

I have recently realized that it should be possible to achieve the same effect by mapping a MIDI message to the "undo" keyboard shortcut (again, using Bome's MIDI translator to turn a MIDI message into control-Z), but I haven't tried it yet.

Please, Ableton, get this critical behavior back into Live 5. If you could do it with Live3, you can do it with Live5.

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:46 pm

rab wrote:Agreed. The ability to select a clip upon MIDI launch is an essential feature. It is present in Live3. I tried Live4, but they had removed that feature (without mentioning it anywhere, to boot!).

Fast forward to the Live5 beta. I was a beta tester, and was thrilled to see that it was back. But by the time I bought my copy of the final release, it had been removed again. They love to cite the fact that Live4 didn't have the feature as justification for removing it from Live5. But it was part of Live3, so I still consider it a regression over past versions.

I absolutely cannot play out in a live setting without this feature. When I'm recording a clip during a show, I MUST be able to delete the currently recording clip using my foot pedal (Behringer FCCB-1010) if I fudge a note, and have another shot on the next go-around. I have a pedal mapped to a MIDI note, and Bome's MIDI translator turns that into a delete keypress. If the clip isn't selected, though, I'm up a creek.

I have recently realized that it should be possible to achieve the same effect by mapping a MIDI message to the "undo" keyboard shortcut (again, using Bome's MIDI translator to turn a MIDI message into control-Z), but I haven't tried it yet.

Please, Ableton, get this critical behavior back into Live 5. If you could do it with Live3, you can do it with Live5.
AMEN! Finally someone feels my pain with 4 and 5. I've been steady giggin with 3 still as I do live looping as well (using fcb 1010 and bomes just as you are to delete flubbed clips). I had tried to work my set up in 4 a few times over the last year and had issues and kept giving up. I finally took some time to figure out what was pissing me off so much about 4, and realized that it has what I think is a bug.

When you initiate a recording of a session clip in Live 4.1.4 by using a mouse click to start the clip recording, it IS selected--if you hit delete after clicking to record it WILL delete the clip. BUT, if you initiate recording of a session clip in the same slot by using a MIDI command (note on/off, cc.) INSTEAD of the left mouse click, for some reason the clip is not selected, pressing delete will NOT work. Even more oddly, if you manually select the clip with the mouse, then delete it, then initiate recording again with a MIDI command, it IS selected, delete WILL work. Every time you change the tempo or the inputs on a track, the bug re-appears--the first time you try to record a clip using a MIDI command, it is not selected, using delete will not work. Manually select it with the mouse, delete it, and then clips in that slot will be selected when record is initiated with MIDI. Change tempo or input routings, back to the bug, and so on.

I call it a bug because I think it is absolutely absurd that using a mouse click to initiate session clip recording should be ANY different than using a midi command to do the EXACT same thing. Not only that, but it only happens the first time on a track (until you change input routings or tempo), not every time. These things spell BUG to me. Here's my lonely thread where I converse with myself about this issue:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Rab and anyone else--please join this thread and maybe even test the mouse click recording scenario to confirm that your system behaves like mine. If so, I think that is a strong case for the fact that this IS a bug, or at the very least a huge pain in the ass, and that if the solution is the re-instating of "select on launch", then bring that shizz back, stat. I'm hoping to get it diagnosed as a bug and fixed in 4, as the 5 preset and scrubbing scene have forced me not to buy it.

At the very least, Ableton needs to wake up and embrace the live-looping-with-instruments crowd--they don't even really advertise themselves as such, and yet it is the best looper around bar none. I'm not sure about where you live, but there are tons of guitarists in my area donig live looping with boss, line 6, and boomerang gear--it is a fairly big and growing market, this live looping, and Live is missing out on some serious dollars by not taking care of a few loose ends, like MIDI MAPPABLE DELETE, and if this is not a bug, SELECT ON LAUNCH. If people are going to use Ableton's product to do live looping, they MUST make it possible to delete clips that are in the process of being recorded. Up til 3, we could at least use bomes and ox/yoke to workaround, but this bug (or the removal of "select on launch") has killed live looping in 4 and now 5. This is totally stupid--version 3 (which is no longer availible) is the best Ableton looper to date. So now, if one of the hordes of hardware guitar loopers tries to switch to Ableton, they'll go "this is stupid, I can't even delete a clip I'm currently recording using a midi foot pedal, geez even my $250 boss pedal can do that. I have to have the ability to delete on stage, otherwise I have to play absolutely perfect....Hmmmn, guess I won't use Ableton Live." They have essentially pulled themselves OUT of the looping market just as it is really starting to grow, and as people (like myself 3 years ago), get frustrated with the limitations of hardware looping. WAKE UP ABLETON, don't shoot yourself in the foot and miss out on a whole range of customers just to make DJ's happy, or because of oversight. ARghhh. 3.0.2 is still my live instrument.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net