Richie Hawtin DJing with Ableton and Serato Scratch Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:43 am

I really don't care about mixing records, but for scratching freshly recorded samples, Live and Final Scratch can work on one computer.

I was doing it live three years ago. That was with FS 1.1 and Live 2 on a Mac Powerbook G4. It was stable AS LONG as I minimized as much of my sets as possible, minimal effects, only 4 or so tracks playing, etc etc.

I would record a phrase from my MC, and start looping it. Then, my turntablist would get in on the action - he had my FS records and hooked my Scratch Amp to his mixer. I controlled the computer, but he could scratch what I was looping and vice versa.

The ONLY issue with FS 1.1 and Live was trying to access the same file at once, it would cause freezing.

Now, regarding Serato Scratch, I am a little concerned about using it with live. I read on this forum that there is a problem with Serato changing your audio files (writing inaudible data that represents the tagged info for the track) that renders the .asd file obsolete. Not cool. If Serato has fixed this, then I would get back into it, but otherwise it's not worth it.

Of course you could use two computers, but then transferring samples becomes an issue - you have to record with Live and then network the two comps and drag them across in the browser. Pain in the butt. I want a one computer solution.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:11 am

galo wrote:
musick wrote:
Not only did I own it, I still have it. It is the best DJ Mixer I've ever owned, bar none.

:)

rob.
There only 6 of these modified Xone's around, all in use by the Richie and other mnus artists. I don't think A&H will make a series production of them.
I saw an advertisement a couple of weeks ago for nic fanculli and James Talk, who are two house dj's that where using ableton and one of the modified 92 mixers
To be clear, I own the Xone:92 with unmodified MIDI control. It is the standard one released with MIDI controls. Just wanted to be clear in case I somehow led someone to believe that I have one of the very few "modified" versions.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care as much anymore about MIDI control through a MIDI mixer (at this point) as I am having too much fun just controlling everything through Live with my external Midi controllers.

:)

rob.

claudek

Post by claudek » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:36 am

Serato Scratch on my Mac is awesome..I am on a G4 Ibook 800 and it is a dream..Final Crash was a nervous experience..Never will I go back..they just took my money and screwed me..All respect to Rane !
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

vince watson

Post by vince watson » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:41 pm

AdamJay wrote:kabuki, you are right.
the best way to enjoy Hawtin is right in the middle of the dancefloor.
preferably equidistant from all 4 speakers in a quad sound set up
:twisted:
hehe...no...the best way to enjoy hawtin is to afterparty with him :P
Macbook Pro (Early2011) 17" Antiglare Hi Res 2.2, 8gb Ram, RME Multiface Expresscard, Ableton 7.18, Ableton 8.2.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:03 pm

vince: tis possibly true, considering the infamous louisville air hockey match.

hawtin vs. plaslaiko vs. a bottle of vodka

not too pretty, but definitely a larf...
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

jhs

Post by jhs » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 pm

The cycloops unit doesn't send midi clock to ableton. I'm pretty sure (like others have said) theres a midi knob on his mixer he uses for this. Although there were a few pictures I saw of him & ricardo villalobos using a similar setup with an electribe under the table. I know that some of these units detect bpm from audio and can send midi clock as well.

A while back I had inquired about getting the redsound microbpm or whatever the audio->midi unit was called & they were doing a limited run... however $375 was pretty steep for what it was worth. They say there is a lot of demand so.... My question is, ultimately all this bpm detecting hardware is running on some sort of software.. i'm assuming theres a catch that i simply dont understand but... why isn't there some sort of fx plugin that does this already?!

P.S. the only thing consistent about hawtins setup is hawtin imo.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:31 pm

jhs wrote:My question is, ultimately all this bpm detecting hardware is running on some sort of software.. i'm assuming theres a catch that i simply dont understand but... why isn't there some sort of fx plugin that does this already?!
Latency of using computers is the limiting factor I would think. The audio latency of the input, coupled with the midi latency of the output tells me that dedicated hardware is probably a better go for syncing midi gear.

Unless you have some really fast, dedicated microprocessor with no OS computational overhead, then go for it. But that would be essentially hardware, no?

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:16 am

Serato scratch live is the reason why i dont support MP3 support in Live 5.
Vote for Pedro.

musick

Post by musick » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:20 am

jhs wrote:A while back I had inquired about getting the redsound microbpm or whatever the audio->midi unit was called & they were doing a limited run... however $375 was pretty steep for what it was worth. They say there is a lot of demand so.... My question is, ultimately all this bpm detecting hardware is running on some sort of software.. i'm assuming theres a catch that i simply dont understand but... why isn't there some sort of fx plugin that does this already?!
The BPM detection device has a DSP in it, interpreting the input signal and extracting the beat out of it. The algorithm RedSound uses is pretty good imho, but with a midi-pitchfader to Ableton Live I don't think you'll need it anymore.

musick

Post by musick » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:44 am

Here a pic of Richie on Nature One:
http://www.nature-one.de/typo3temp/pics/68b6f8d93a.jpg

Living_Fiction

Post by Living_Fiction » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:07 pm

I think the ultamite set up would be, 2 CD decks, 2 Vinyl Decks, hooked up to a 4 channel effects/club style mixer. Running SSL on the vinyl decks, and another computer running Ableton Live, with clips assigned to keys -- With an 8 channel custom made Hardware controller.

Raoulofdenmark

Post by Raoulofdenmark » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:22 am

vince watson wrote:
AdamJay wrote:kabuki, you are right.
the best way to enjoy Hawtin is right in the middle of the dancefloor.
preferably equidistant from all 4 speakers in a quad sound set up
:twisted:
hehe...no...the best way to enjoy hawtin is to afterparty with him :P
It´s about the music mate - not the v.i.p shite ;=)
Dual 1.8 ghz G5 , RME digi96 , Microkontrol , Mackie/Logic Controller , OS 10.4.2 , 1.5 GB RAM

eskay

Why has he left Final Scratch for Serato?

Post by eskay » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:42 am

I know he's been a big advocate for NI Final Scratch with endorsements and all. But now I see him using Serato. Anybody know why he jumped ship?
"Computer don't create horrible music.....humans do."

Living_Fiction

Re: Why has he left Final Scratch for Serato?

Post by Living_Fiction » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:00 am

eskay wrote:I know he's been a big advocate for NI Final Scratch with endorsements and all. But now I see him using Serato. Anybody know why he jumped ship?
Probably because it's crap compared to SSL. It may have more features, but half of them don't work properly, and the support from NI is horrible...SSL is built like a rock.