go back to normal preset browsing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

bring back the classic preset browsing?

yes
72%
no
28%

Total votes: 47

Livewire

go back to normal preset browsing

Post by Livewire » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 pm

cuz right now in live 5, the presets just make things WAYYY too messy.

first i thought it was a good idea for it to be in the browser, but its much simpler in the device itself.

myabe just add new "next and "previous" buttons next to the drop down list to switch between presets. have them MIDI mapabla too.

please. its not very convenient that the browser has to pop-up everytime you change a preset.

oh and a keyboard shortcut for the browser would be nice too. the F9 button.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

harald.walker

Post by harald.walker » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:21 pm

I guess in the browser you can use the new search function to find a preset quickly, or find all presets or a certain kind, independent of the instrument. That sounds very useful to me.

But I also missed the old method. So both or an optional choice would nice.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:27 pm

but how many presets do people have per device? it would probably take just as much time to type the name of a preset and search it as just scrolling and clicking.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:18 am

how much harder is the new system?

click on the browse button on the device you want to look at presets for and they all appear in the browser. And you can organize by folder! Personally, I have a lot of presets for my favorite instruments and like that i can org. by folder now.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:32 am

the thing i like about having it in the browser is that you can totally replace the effect.

maybe its not so bad an idea. still kinda messy with the tons of folders though.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:36 am

the new browser rocks.

kineticUk

New browser a good idea but keep the old one as well

Post by kineticUk » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:12 am

I like the idea that you can load instrument presets banks from the browser now as I have had problems with imposcar and other Audio units plugins on osx.
But...
Tried to load aupreset from browser for imposcar AU when I upgraded to live 5 and it didnt work, so much for that then.
The original preset menu was perfect, simple easy to use and quick.
So I think they should not get rid of the original menu but somehow combine both so people have the choice when to use one or the other.The small preset menu on instruments was quality put it back in if possible.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:35 am

we need a choice. Live on stage, to not be able to see the preset right on the effect unit in Live is sillyness. The number of steps it takes to open the browser (i keep mine minimized live to see more tracks and sends), scroll around to the proper instrument/effect, find the right preset, then drag it over to the effect box is too much, too many steps, too much time wasted. This system requires you to have the effect box showing anyway, why not just be able to change it (or at least see what preset it is on stage) the old way, right on the effect. It is simpler, faster (for me at least), takes fewer mouse moves, and just plain makes sense to see the effect/patch you are using with the effect. I think the new way is certainly valid and some people do like it better, so I think it should stay, we just want the old way back as another way of doing it. I think EVERYONE can agree that seeing the preset name with the effect is useful and should be re-instated in some orm. I think we all want a way to use midi to select presets, even if its just buttons to jump ahead or back one preset that we can assign to specific effects in the set.

ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:31 am

yes both ways woud be nice. just have the same old list in the device, but also have that "link device to browser" button as well. or have an option in the preferences.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:17 am

I don't know about you guys, but I must have hundreds of simpler presets - I need folders in order to keep building my library - live4 felt kind of moronic when scrolling through 40 impulse sets.

And the folders are especially useful now, since the effect chains aren't just one effect, but should be grouped in a rather more abstract fashion. My audio effect chain folder is divided into 13 different categories...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

zion15

Post by zion15 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:04 am

i think the browser should stay but be enhanced so you don't accidentally add new devices that easily, always have some sort of visual link to what you're doing, could browse faster and have the preset names shown on the device controls. stuff like that.

r. henke did say himself in another post that they're going to develop the browser concept further, i hope they will address the problems people are having.
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 am

for the browser fans here, do you guys agree that given that the browser stays (it is useful, esp. with tons of presets), wouldn't the preset box next to the effect still be handy? An idea I had in another thread was that if they brought the preset box back, it could interact with the new browser/folder scenario. In Live up to version 4, the preset box on an effect would show ALL of your presets, presumably the clutter from lots of presets led Ableton to developing the browser in 5. However, most all of us miss seeing the preset on the inst./effect, and many of us live performers miss the immediacy of changing presets right on the effect box. What if you could drag a folder of presets from the browser onto the reinstated preset box on the effect. This way, you could drag over a folder from the browser onto the effect's preset name box with just a handful of bass Operator presets, not hundreds of them. Then, if you want to change presets the old way, the pop up contains only the presets from the folder you dragged over. People who want it to work just like the old way would just drag over a folder with all of their presets for the given device. People who want to work exclusively in the new 5 style would just keep doing what they do, they'd just be able to see the presets with their device. The new way of working with the hybrid approach I'm describing would allow you to address the issue of too many presets in the pop up (which seems to be the impetus for this major change in the first place), but still allow us live performers to have more instantly selectable presets, and to be able to specifically limit the number of presets that pop up to just the ones we'll need live on that particular device. Any thoughts?

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

[nednerb]

Post by [nednerb] » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:36 pm

I agree with this. The interface should accomodate whim to complex organization and whim to play quickly in a live situation.

I like the idea of, in an update to live5, creating a somewhat new preset function for effects/chains.

A good idea is that the browser function could remain exactly the same, while built-in is the function to drag and drop a set of presets from the browser onto the title bar of an effect, so that a drop down menu could be accessible from within the effect with the complete set of presets anticipated for a live situation (you could put all of them in there in the order you wanted to to make it better than live4). This would provide the ability to keep things in order while keeping on the fly. I imagine a useful function would be to midi-assign the scrolling of that list to a turn-knob. This would align in to, say, the pattern knob on a Loopfactory sequencer.

What do others think of THIS specific idea? It would be good if we all who are voicing out at this could say we agree about a specific viable alternative.

[nednerb]

~~
DellGX270: Intel4 3.00GHZ,1.00GB RAM, Creative SBLive. Live4-5, UC-33e, Stanton Gemini.

ct43

Post by ct43 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:06 pm

Id really love 'next' & 'previous' buttons / < > just like in Cubase, it makes changing patches so much easier...

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:46 am

yeah, definitely need midi mappability of presets with BOTH knob scrolling of presets and -/+ buttons to go ahead or back one preset. I hope its in a later version of 5 and not 6 :?