first ableton progressive mix - feedback welcome

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

first ableton progressive mix - feedback welcome

Post by nuperspective » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:23 pm

just put my first ableton progressive mix up online - nothing to over the top. just a straight up mix with some decent tracks. the next one will be a bit more flashy. if its your kinda thing any feedback would be welcome. at the moment the stream only works in internet explorer at the moment.

http://www.scien-radio.com/audio.htm

head for communique 2.0
Last edited by nuperspective on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Actually, you can stream this from Windows Media Player or from Winamp by just using the Open URL commands:

http://www.scien-radio.com/lee brindle [scien] - communique 2.0.wma

So far, it's quite promising. Ode to Sasha :)

toneburst

Post by toneburst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:33 pm

I know this isn't strictly-speaking music-related, but I hope you don't mind me offering a few words of advice on your website.

First; I like the design. It's simple, but eye-catching. I love the textural picture-can't quite work out what it is, but it's really nice.

Second; as someone who's been involved with web-design for a while, the words 'only works in Internet Explorer' bring a shiver to the spine. Given that many PC users are now switching to FireFox because of IE's appalling record for security 'issues', you definitely be trying to write code so it works on all browsers.

Also, you're cutting out a large portion of your potential audience by using a Windows-specific file format there. Why not just stick to simple MP3 files, then everyone will be able to hear them, including the significant number of Mac-based musicians out there.

Just a thought, and hope you don't mind my posting slightly 'off-topic'. Please don't be offended my my comments- I have a bit of a 'thing' about Micro$oft and the way they've got away with ignoring or subverting agreed standards in things like web page coding for years.

:-)
alx
http://soundcloud.com/toneburst

noises produced using
Live 9 Suite
MacPro 8-Core 3.2 GHz
MacBook Pro Core Duo 3.06GHz
MacOS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
Novation, Korg, Clavia and E-Mu hardware

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:43 pm

no thats fine. i'm new to web design so i'm not sure how to make it work in firefox . if you can point me in the right direction, that would be a great help. i've tried to lower the size of the files by making them window media files, thinking that would give me the most space on the server. again pointers would be nice.

as for the picture... crumpled up piece of paper - switched to negative and cut into four in fireworks. simple. the bit that looks like a face... complete accident. just happened - couldnt even see it in the full picture.

mac users... oh yeah forgot about them.

any advice would be cool

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:54 pm

ode to sasha...

in a way, but you wont find any electro influenced tracks on there - not my bag [go figure, i'm a massive depeche mode fan]. even though they are easier to mix and chop up. less said about the the better.

please feel free to give your verdict when its done. i usually do mixes for friends. so they have to fit on one cd. therefore, it does get going a bit more at the end.

moostapha

Post by moostapha » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:23 pm

I'd love to comment on it, as it sounds interesting. But winamp on XP won't read the stream correctly (error syncing to mpeg) and i'm not opening IE for it.
If only you, me and DEAD people could read hex, would we need this forum?

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:18 pm

dont worry i'm going to change the setup of the site based on the feedback i've had. i think i will make it a straight forward mp3 download. if anything the thread has been more than useful, for a completely different reason.

JacksinMS

nice set

Post by JacksinMS » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:07 am

I played yourset while I did some admin stuff & I was plesently surprised how you managed to create a silky smooth mix. Played through headphones, I didn't detect any thing that sounded out of place. Really good stuff!
JacksinMusic.com
Singles, Mixes, Photography, & Acidic Art

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:56 am

Right/command click and save on the link on the site works well in Apple Safari 1.3 on the Mac :wink:
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:26 am

thanks man.

i've tried to keep everything in key on this one. i've also tried to keep it simple and tight, as the tracks are quite dense.

BTW

the mix will be off line for today - i'm changing the site so that it will be mp3 download. so that mac and firefox users can excess the mix.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm

the site has been updated so mac and firefox users should be able to download the mix. so if theres any of you fancy it give it a try. if it doesnt work please give my some feedback.

http://www.scien-radio.com/audio.htm

lee brindle [scien] - communique 2.0.mp3

heres the tracklisting:

1. blue haze - amber glow [original mix].
2. mick burns - sunshine in my shadows [original mix].
3. murat uncu & ser - forever more [alican & soner remix].
4. anarcrusan - in my mind [mas collective remix].
5. benz & md - mar del plata [dousk remix].
6. synaptik - impending [noel sanger remix].
7. piece process - solar myth [markus schulz remix].

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:02 pm

cool, i really love that blue haze track you started up with

i am hearing some pretty stong stretching artifacts over this set though.

sounds like you did the blue haze in texture mode? at least the beginning .. which is understandable given the long lush pad types sounds and sustained bass. but it has that odd flanging sound especially over your shakers and hi's

just about all the other tracks are giving bad artifacts and warbling bass - again because they're sustained - a bit suprising because sounds like most of these tracks were probably in the same tempo range?

so it seems to me you could have kept them all closer to original tempo, rather than (to my ears) like you pushed them all faster or slower

if you havent done this yet, try tones mode on some of these tracks ... put your knob on that anywhere from 10 o'clock to straight up at 12, play around with it. see if that doesnt clear it up. you might be suprised

better yet get a copy of the beta and run complex mode on all of these tracks, render again. that will do it ;)

i have summer promo i'm posting up tonite or tommorrow that uses complex all over it, and you would be hard pressed to know it wasnt vinyl.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

innerdreamrecords.com

Post by innerdreamrecords.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:00 am

That Blue Haze vocal is terribly pitchy, shameful. I really can't hear the whole mix as I'm on 56k dial up here.
http://www.innerdreamrecords.com
iTunes - Sony Connect - Beatport
House | Electronic | Alternative

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:07 am

strange.

the tracks are not to far from there original tempo. if it was that bad i would have noticed. the mick burns track does distort at the end. but its in the original, so i applied a filter to remove some of the harshness. i'm wondering if its due to re-encoding the file down to a low bit rate mp3 format. this was done so mac and firefox users could access the file. the original stream was a .wma file.

however, it could just be the filter plugin in the mix. its not at a flat setting. i designed a setting that was synched to tempo as a wanted to create swirly type of filter instead of a straight house filter. so it could be that. i only used it at the being and end of some of the tracks and over the harsh bit of the mick burns track. so if this makes sense let me know.

i'll give it a listen again through the site and check it out. if it was that bad originally, i'm sure someone else would have said when the thread started. i'll check it out and thanks for the feedback.

quite useful this thread - not for using live, but for website design and functionality.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:21 pm

it does sound a little warped on the original. i'll try the tones option later and re-post it. the stream seems to sound worse than the original. maybe i need to use a higher bit rate and encode it from the original wav - not a reduction of a reduction.