Linux + Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Linux + Live

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:37 pm

PC this and Mac that... it seems clear to me (and it has for a long time) that Linux is the future of audio/production software.

How many of you would encourage Live Linux?

Would it be worth it for the Abes to do all of that coding for such a small sector of the computing world? Small today, but the future is tomorrow...

Is it even possible? [I imagine it is anyhow...]

Live is all about stability, it just makes sense to me.

amo

Post by amo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 pm

I more than agree with you M. McBoob.

I think that linux is in a very good plateform to host audio softwares. Looks very promising. The fact that you compile an application around your own system is something that should get the lead sometimes.
Though I would understand that Ableton would:

-Not like to give source code to anybody
-Not like to give licenses for free

On top of that - I'm not enough skilled in coding nor I know what Live is made of - I'm not sure about the portability of Live to Linux.

But indeed there must be some way. Doesn't have to be free to be on Linux....
Live could be bundled with some audio distribution of linux, therefore make it easyier to install, safer to use etc... donno.

Hope to see that one day in the not-to-far future.

Regards,

amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

gomi

Re: Linux + Live

Post by gomi » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:33 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:PC this and Mac that... it seems clear to me (and it has for a long time) that Linux is the future of audio/production software.

How many of you would encourage Live Linux?

Would it be worth it for the Abes to do all of that coding for such a small sector of the computing world? Small today, but the future is tomorrow...

Is it even possible? [I imagine it is anyhow...]

Live is all about stability, it just makes sense to me.
there is
xp
osx

and about a trillion flavours of linux that you'd have to cope with...

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Linux is the future of audio/production software.
Why? Linux is certainly not the present, so how will it become the future when there is already XP and Mac doing such a good job and unlikely to roll over and sleep while the Linux anarchy manages to sort itself out?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:59 pm

Not everything on linux has to be open source, why do people keep insisting that this is the case?

If it runs on osx it can be ported to linux without too much of a problem, other apps have already done so, Supercollider for one. Jack has made it the other way round and now runds on osX.

As for the original question, a big yes from me. it's going to take a while to convince musicians (who traditionally love to cling to what 'everybody else uses') to embrace another OS though, the industry hype has done it's work I'm afraid,

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:01 am

anonymouse wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Linux is the future of audio/production software.
Why? Linux is certainly not the present, so how will it become the future when there is already XP and Mac doing such a good job and unlikely to roll over and sleep while the Linux anarchy manages to sort itself out?
As I see things, the way windows for exemple tends in its evolution, a system automating more and more tasks, therefore more and more services running with a lost of user control over the system you choose to use etc...
Even with technical progress, fastest computers, there is something wrong at the developper level.

Instead of that, having a computer of your own, compiling the software you're going to use along with the minimum required system items loaded, all that controlled by yourself... That's a kind of concept that I think will has good days ahead. It's almost similar to a hardware machine you would buy that performs only one program (like a numeric synth), or a hardware host as. Receptor Muse. With a lot more possibilities.

Maybe MacOSx could offer that if it stays close to unix systems...

It's with no joy I see longhorn arriving - as for the few I know about: limitations to use the good you purchased for your private usage as you whish... IT is a personnal computer, not a super-console for shoping and executing some tasks the way you are told.... A multi purpose machine for households and administration workers....

I don't like to be told what to do or not to do from somthing I purchased, and don't like to be forced to uprade some well functionning hardware for the sake of an OS update...

Only thoughts...

Regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 am

amo wrote:Though I would understand that Ableton would:

Sorry, that's complete bollocks.

There's no reason on earth that companies can't charge what they like and keep the code in a safe 30ft uderground in area51!

The OS is the thing thats free and open source.

the only way that Linux will actually make it into 'punter' conciousness, is when this complete myth is properly de-bunked.

The spirit of linux was embraced by the open source community because they were freee to program how they wanted, with no restrictions. Then pass the ball, so to speak. That NEVER meant that those were the RULES of some underwritten legally binding ANYTHING!

I really hope that linux is the future for audio, it's already getting there, i'd love it if Ableton made history (again) by being one of the first fully commercial companies to market for THREE operating systems. Hell I'd pay more!
Last edited by Martyn on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:10 am

Martyn wrote:

There's no reason on earth that companies can't charge what they like and keep the code in a safe 30ft uderground in area51!

the only way that Linux will actually make it into 'punter' conciousness, is when this complete myth is properly de-bunked.
As I say later in the same message, it is indeed false problems... I think we just agree on that, I was maybe not clear enough.

The myth of Linux has to be all free is so untrue !

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 am

amo wrote:
Martyn wrote:

As I say later in the same message, it is indeed false problems... I think we just agree on that, I was maybe not clear enough.

The myth of Linux has to be all free is so untrue !
Yes, sorry, I just really want this to happen and am more than a little passionate about it. :lol:

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:19 am

Really well understood :wink:
At least this will allow people to understand better the imoprtant matter of the thread.

I'd LOVE to go to non-corporate operating system, and stick with companies which I respect (like Ableton). That's a matter of personnal choices.

Then Technically speaking, it will push music making with computer further, that's for sure (for the reasons I evoked higher).

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:32 am

I've been playing around with a couple of Live linux audio distros but not yet attmpted a full install. it's coming though, when i've plucked up the courage!

After using a few of the more mature apps like Ardour, Jamin, Hydrogen and Beast, then realise that groups of programmers have coded these FOR FREE, it makes me wonder what could be achieved if a company were to really get behind some of it financially, help some of those developers to fully realise the potential of some of this software.

The standards of interconnection and plugin format are streets ahead of anything else because they've learned from the mistakes of what we're all used to (vst)

i think i'm going to jump in anyway, some of this software is so different to what everyone else is using that it's a great place to stimulate creativity. For the experimentalists, Pure Data is REALLY worth a look.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:50 am

I've been looking at the Agnula-Demudi Live (!) CD a couple of times, and loved it so much when may computer started on Linux system, with lots of audio softwares installed, and I could play with t to see what it is made of.

It is here: Agnula Demudi Live CD, it is an ISO image that you can burn obn a CDRom, then you boot from that CDRom, it doesn't modify anything on your comuter! So yo u can at least get a feel over the thing.

One nice composition software is missing from it: Rosegarden, an audio + midi sequencer.

Then later I decided to hard install the same system on my hard drive. I did it. I'm a total beginner bur havibg audio working was again quite easy, it eems to be well bundled to apapt to your system. Mine is a Compaq laptop, PIII 1ghz. All was regognized and set up with no real action from me.
It just takes a litlle bit of reading on partitionning your hardware and queries you go threw during installation but it is qfter all painless and quite fast (30 minutes), then you can download "packages", install them with one command line, uninstall them etc.... So far, everything good. Just miss Live, otherwise...:roll:

iso image of Agnula Demudi installation CD

On the side of PD, there is the free linux version of MAX/MSP distibuted by IRCAM called JMax. here:JMax

Cheers,
amo

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:03 am

Yeah man, been using it. There's not as much on it as 'Apodio' a french audio live cd, not much english documentation though.

http://linux-ds.unidu.hr/apodio/APODIO-3.0.9.iso

I can get a lower latency with my terratec on this one too.

It's all just whetting my apetite for an install.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:11 am

I'll try that one too, thanks for the link. The website seems to be down, though the download is still available. It seems to be based on mandrive distribution... I'll investigate now...

Cheers.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:19 pm

Just tryied Adopio, but wasn't that convincing to me... couldn't get my internet connexion nor Jack to work, much annoying.
I'm on the verge to install mandriva.... seems a good start for newbies...

Cheers,
amo