What Headphones Are giving you the Most joy/well rounded sou

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:11 am

senn 545's are really good.

Most senn's are.........

mathew

Post by mathew » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:25 am

DJ
ive use the 7506's for dj use forever. ive gone through a few pair in my life, prolly 4 of them, but thats due to abuse and gigging. im currently using one with just the left earphone, no headband or right can. i o through phases where i prefer one over the other.

STUDIO
i swear by the senn HD-590's Amazing, open air, velour padding... oxygen free detachable cable. I use them to reference stereo fields, and for audiophile'ish listening. the open air design keeps your ears from fatigue, prolong sessions and increases studio productivity.

Cons.. studio use only, useless with outside noize.

ive been thinking about switching to the in-ear design monitoring for my dj work. ive used those "fitted" ear protection before and loved them, but i tend to lose things like that, i like the idea of being able to moniter at a much lower level. save my hearing for my kids.
accepting the problem will only make it go away.
Not Boyfriend Material

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:39 pm

i also use the audio-technica ath m40fs...they're great, BUT...

i just bought a pair of stanton dj2000's...they fold up, and i wanted something cheapish i could carry around. i have to say that they sound amazing, and i probably use those more than i use the audio-technicas now.

and they're less than half the price...

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:14 pm

sans soleil wrote:i also use the audio-technica ath m40fs...they're great, BUT...

i just bought a pair of stanton dj2000's...they fold up, and i wanted something cheapish i could carry around. i have to say that they sound amazing, and i probably use those more than i use the audio-technicas now.

and they're less than half the price...
Do u use them in Studio or for DJing?

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:07 pm

Shoma wrote:
Do u use them in Studio or for DJing?
both.

i've also dropped them about 200 times, run over them in my studio chair etc. and they're still ok...not bad, especially considering what i've heard about the build quality of sonys in particular.

also:
they have a mono switch, which is quite useful for checking the mono compatability of mixes. didn't really care about this when i bought them, but it's come in useful.

basically i bought these as a 'cheap' pair of on-the-road cans, and they've turned out to be much better than i expected...i'm sure there are better phones out there, but if you're on a budget they're definitely worth looking at.

Dandruff

Post by Dandruff » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:48 pm

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 am

after a pair of Audio Technaica's mentiond in this thread that brooke in 6 months
inbetween 2 pairs of sony 7505's and currently a pair of HD-25's (which has all relpacable parts/wires)

i'm votin' for the HD-25's far superior to both those

i'd really like to try the sure's though.. i'v heard great things :!:

bluskreen

Post by bluskreen » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:24 am

great thread. i'm in the market for some new cans as well. what about comfort? i've been using sony MDR-CD570's forever (falling apart) and they're very comfortable. i personally dislike adjusting headphones.

found this a while back too. hope it helps

http://www.headphonereviews.org/ :wink:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:38 am

I can't believe nobody has mentioned bose headphones.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:28 am

Dj'in with Shure E series?

I like the idea of this as they do not over all your ear so you can mix and monitor more freely..but do these little headphones are loud enough in the club or will not blow out from a Pioneer mixer?
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:19 am

ethios4 wrote:I'm looking heavily into the Beyerdynamic DT-770M.

I keep reading that they are the best for electronic music, and have the best isolation. More balanced than the DT-770 (less highs/lows, more mids)... the reading seems all good, but I wonder how they sound. No one seems to have them in-store in these parts...

Anyone with experience?
EXCELLENT!!!

I've used many many many headphones and i can honestly say these badboys take the cake! I used to swear by Fostex... and i still believe they are good, but something about the 770's that feel so fine on the ears and don't feel painful after extended hours of jamming...

They are like earmuffs with speakers..

For DJ'ing tho, i've always been a Sony MDR user.. those things are just LOUD and can take a sonic beating without blowing up.

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:50 am

Another big vote for the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs! They are relatively inexpensive, very flat, and most importantly for laptop use, they are LOUD! This is also a BIG factor when performing live, as you need something that's gonna compete with the house system. They are great for composing, listening, and performing, but for the detailed mixing and mastering tasks, I prefer the AKG K 240 Studio, which have a much more detailed high end and a very open and comfortable sound. Of course a good set of monitors (Mackie HR824) at a reasonable volume in a well tuned room is always gonna beat any kind of headphone for those critical tasks...
Scott Orlans (a.k.a. SEO)
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records
www.DownTimeProductions.com

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:58 pm

Senn. HD650...for studio work very little competition sound and comfort-wise unless you're spending SERIOUS ca$h.

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:45 pm

I had some sennheiser's, can't remember the model (around £50) & found that my mixes were always bass heavy as their bass response was poor.
Recently got some fostex T20RP I think - they seem much better, though I have yet to really get used to them, the bass response is definately much better now though.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:03 pm

claudek wrote:Dj'in with Shure E series?

I like the idea of this as they do not over all your ear so you can mix and monitor more freely..but do these little headphones are loud enough in the club or will not blow out from a Pioneer mixer?
i have a friend who swears by the in-ear monitors, who's been gigging with them for a long, long time..(a turntableist)

you can even hide the cabel in your hat and up your back

the thing i wonder about is getting a little bit of isolation when you need it without haveing to rase your hand to your ear...
the foldability of the HD-25's make them easy to use hand's free off of your sholder..without gettin' a crick in your neck...