What Headphones Are giving you the Most joy/well rounded sou

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cyclyk

Post by cyclyk » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Rikhyray> sorry you don't understand me. I have an ATH and i love it. But I have an ATH headphones because I could not buy this one (ultrasone)
http://www.ultrasone.com/

look at the spec for example...
And this one is a Rolls! You cannot imagine what you can ear with it, space location, frequencies, I assure you, if you found one, you'll be in love. It's absolutly amazing really, you can't even imagine what it sounds like in fact, it's like having a 5.1 speaker set on the head.... without the heavyness....

If you see it, try it and tell me after... the only bad point: price.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:35 pm

Grado SR-60's and SR-80's side-by-side (80's have a bit more bass response).
Grados make me look like a douchebag but they sound really nice.
I've a/b'd them with a lot of headphones and the Grados sound "detailed" for lack of a better term.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:46 pm

sennheiser hd-25 also... :roll:

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:58 pm

cyclyk wrote:Rikhyray> sorry you don't understand me. I have an ATH and i love it. But I have an ATH headphones because I could not buy this one (ultrasone)
http://www.ultrasone.com/

look at the spec for example...
And this one is a Rolls! You cannot imagine what you can ear with it, space location, frequencies, I assure you, if you found one, you'll be in love. It's absolutly amazing really, you can't even imagine what it sounds like in fact, it's like having a 5.1 speaker set on the head.... without the heavyness....

If you see it, try it and tell me after... the only bad point: price.
I wrote about them Ultrassholes not Audio technica, they have that secret aura of mysterious brand , can`t buy them anywhere so I was expecting much getting the chance to hear them. They had nothing to test really shit music, shit attitude, I have to spent few hundered to be able to test it without possibility to return, who do they think they are ??? The cans looks ugly , no design sense, and cheap like 10$ supermarket stuff. Anyone spending hundreds like to get the value, also I like to have esthetically pleasing objects while making music, these fail in all aspects. Most important, dont feel they are better then top Senhs, Beyer, AKGs or Sonys
Don´t misunderstand they didnt upset me or something , I and couple of other people were surprised by their appearance, small, cheap stand next to the toilets, uncompetent stuff coupled with the "we are better then anyone else in the Universe" , rather weirdo impression. Who cares...

cyclyk

Post by cyclyk » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Don´t misunderstand they didnt upset me or something , I and couple of other people were surprised by their appearance, small, cheap stand next to the toilets, uncompetent stuff coupled with the "we are better then anyone else in the Universe" , rather weirdo impression. Who cares...
friends of mine were there, confirming that. They love their products and they shout it loud! In fact they seem to be a very little manufactory, headphones are handmade...

The cans looks ugly , no design sense, and cheap like 10$ supermarket stuff.
I confirm they look awfull! but they are very well built.
They had nothing to test really shit music, shit attitude
I confirm too but, this "shit "music is particular .... for example, on their cds there is an organ, very very low things....test it with your headphones and you will see the difference.

But you should listen to it once again.... It doesn't matter anyway... two sound ingeneers made me try it because they are amazed with it.... I am too now.... and I like too "convert" people!!
Anyway thanks for your answer you're the first I "meet"who knows them!!
Pardon my english!!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Goes to show you that bad product reps often go hand in hand with lame products...

Kinda like a new piece of gear or software that is supposed to be really cool but it has a demo song that is the worst music you ever heard...

RED FLAG!

This thread has been helpful because so many people are digging the M40s. Funny thing is we recently put some M40s on our Ableton demo computer and I have been using them a lot and liking them a lot too. But I guess it didn't occur to me because I am daydreaming about owning HD25s.

I said it once and I'll say it again, there's Audio Technica and Audio What-the-hecknica, steer clear from the latter.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:47 pm

So how about the HD25SP?
Amazone says:

They are a lower-cost alternative to the HD 25, featuring a simpler headband and a slightly different capsule design.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:58 pm

djastroboy wrote:So how about the HD25SP?
Amazone says:

They are a lower-cost alternative to the HD 25, featuring a simpler headband and a slightly different capsule design.

There OK just not a wide a dynamic range as the 25.

Shure E3's are the best value on the market IMHO, £60 on Ebay!

If you want ultra portability and less fatigue get the Shure E3-4 or 5's, also if your on stage you can hook them up to a Shure PSM radio unit for free movement

8)
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:09 pm

but how do the sure E-3s sound?
for the love of Live

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:14 pm

::mic-minimal:: wrote:but how do the sure E-3s sound?
= to the HD25's, I hear good reports of the E4's.

I use the E5's but have tested the E3's of a friends. I know the E4's use the same sort of dual driver as the E5.

HD25 or E3's you cant go wrong for the £$$
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:56 pm

I'm looking heavily into the Beyerdynamic DT-770M.

I keep reading that they are the best for electronic music, and have the best isolation. More balanced than the DT-770 (less highs/lows, more mids)... the reading seems all good, but I wonder how they sound. No one seems to have them in-store in these parts...

Anyone with experience?

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:00 pm

Sennheiser HD 650 if you have 300€ to spend (well)

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Sennheiser HD280 pro! Got 2 pairs of em!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:35 am

I just went through headphone HELL :evil:

After all the hubub/trying/sending back/listening loud/listing quiet/using with pt/live/blah blah..........the Sennheiser hd580's took the cake........

incredble comfort
very trasparent/flat

now, the bass is not going to be "there" for dj cat's probably because the are open design, but for recording situations..........I can't beat em. Well, the 600/650's maybe........but they cost more and are really hard to find.

oddly, the worst was by the same manufactur but I won't say cause someone may like them.

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:27 am

i use Senn HD545 which are open air with good bass & incredibly comfortable
but I dont mix on them....

FWIW i intensely dislike in-ear headphones..... as soon as i got an ipod i ditched theirs
and got some Sennheiser PX200 which are still smallish & fold up like origami for travel
but sound way way better than apples tampon string in-ear models....
:?

btw its not the first thing on many peoples minds, but shows like AES are a great opportunity
to trial the entire range & get good advice... just take along your own CD
That was what made me buy the HD545s....