What Headphones Are giving you the Most joy/well rounded sou

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:42 am

audio-technica ATH-M40fs

Took me about 6 months to decide on these. They have the flattest, most untainted sound I could find as I wanted something for studio monitoring not DJ work.

I found the Sony's sounded a little bit creamy or something.

I was prepared to pay a much higher price for some Sennheisers, but these audio-technica pair do exactly what I need insofar as headphones can. I will never rely on headphones alone for monitoring (I had a few embarrasing disasters by not using proper monitor speakers) but headphones are useful for lots of preparatory work prior to final mixing.

kick_kick_snare

Post by kick_kick_snare » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:12 pm

Sennheiser HD600

quite simply the best headphones I've ever heared. incredable seperation, detail and full bass, they are great. I also like some of the Grado headphones, they are very musical, but for making tracks on the sennheisers present much more detail...
I like jam.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Does anybody have some remarks about the AKG K271?
I have it and i like it.
Well, since I had borrowed a pair of 171's for a couple months and loved them, I recently shot out the 271's vs. the HD25's. The 271's were nice, exactly what I thought, a larger version of the 171's. But I was won over by the HD25's, the immediacy of the sound and the cool swivle of the earpiece just rocked. But the 271's would be great to have too. You can't go wrong with them. Headphones are so subjective though- everyone has their own tastes and none of them are wrong...

And hey- starving student, if you really are a starving student as you say- don't throw away extra money at Guitar Center- check out the Beyerdynamics at GC, but then go find them online for a lot less $$$...

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Grado SR 225s
www.gradolabs.com

sound great, very clear

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:16 pm

I use Shure E2c's for writing when I'm out and about with the laptop, for DJing I still use my Sony MDR-V700DJ's. I'd use the E2c's for Djing too, but I have to use the foam plugs to get a good fit, and those aren't something you can take in and out of your ears easily.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:22 pm

I had Senny HSD25 for like 8 years, there tough great pans but just dony cut it when compaired to the Shure E5's IMHO!
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

eric_schafer

Post by eric_schafer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm

amo wrote:I love beyerdynamic DT 150. Quite a sovietic look, but I find them very comfortable and not tireing. The sound it quite good too.
Another shoutout for beyerdynamics. I just bought a pair of DT250-80s, and I couldn't ask for more: isolation when tracking with a mic, great definition, very comfortable to wear, and spectacular bass considering they're sealed cans.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:02 pm

I second the audio-technica ATH-M40fs have a/b'd them with several different Sony's, AKG's and Sennheiser's, the only problem is that I get some serious ear fatigue after long sessions... goes for all headphones I think.

If I had the budget my mother-in-law (famous electro-acoustic composer) has these and they are the shit if you got the money.

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave, ... ge,EN.html
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

lightshy

Post by lightshy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 pm

i'm pretty satisfied with these:

cyclyk

Post by cyclyk » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am

I love headphones!
I second the audio-technica ATH-M40fs
yeah me too, because it's neutral, not too much bass for exemple. If your music sucks, this headphone will let you here it unlike the Senheiser which is "kind" with your music

But
if you've got the budget I tried the ultimate (for me) headphone (you will believe me if you ear it).... I assure you, you don't know what a headphone is before you try this one...
http://www.ultrasone.com/

Cone

Post by Cone » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:45 am

One more vote for the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. I've been using them for four months now, very satisfied. Being closed-type, they isolate background noise well, and actually you get a very sturdy bass out of them. Good for mixing and for casual listening.

They can also take insane volumes, not that it is in any way recommended, but they were unharmed even by a bizarre mixer accident that involved incorrect routing and too much gain... Good value for money.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:32 am

Tristan wrote:Hey, I use a pair of Sony MDR V6s. I think they might be the same as the MDR 7405. Not sure about that though. They're a little bit hard to find, but you can get them at B&H Photo-Video (and Audio) for $70.00. For me they're great. They're quite accurate which is good, especially since I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Unlike most Sony headphones (including the similarily name MDR V600 which you shouldn't get), they don't over emphasize the bass, which I like.

They do get a bit uncomfortable after wearing them for awhile (like, maybe an hour and a half). That's when I switch over to my Grado SR60s (also available for $70.00). These are open headphones and sure, they look funny! But they sound great (esp. for the price)...They're not as accurate, but they have a very nice open sound compared to the Sony's analytical sound.

Good luck with your search!
-Tristan
I too have the V6's and yes they are meant to be identical except I think the 7405 has gold plated jack.

I'd recommend both these headphones. It's really nice!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:11 am

cyclyk wrote:I love headphones!
I second the audio-technica ATH-M40fs
if you've got the budget I tried the ultimate (for me) headphone (you will believe me if you ear it).... I assure you, you don't know what a headphone is before you try this one...
http://www.ultrasone.com/
Really, I was very disappointed testing all their models, cannot justify their price, they are good but cannot match HD 600 or 650 or the 990 880 of Beyer or the top Sonys. Look like 5 $ , cheap plastic, if you have studio your clients will think you are cheap.
Additionally the people are the most megalomaniac assholes I ever met on music fairs (this one was Frankfurt 2005) consider themselves the best but they are not ( since there is no the best anyway , each top model is different and the best in its own way- Sennh, AKG,Beyer, Sony etcetc)

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:22 pm

I like my Sennheiser HD495's. They come in for criticism all over the web for being bass heavy, but if I mix on phones that don't have enough bass I keep adding 'just a little more bass' until there's waaay too much. These keep my mixing in check plus they sound very detailed in the mid/high range.

You need an amp with enough juice to drive them properly though.

dunc

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:42 pm

sennheiser hd-25 :D
.::.::..::.:::.:.vandeloow.net.:.:::.:..::.:::::.::..:
..:..::.: