Favorites - VST plugins

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Spacerboy

Favorites - VST plugins

Post by Spacerboy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:56 pm

an option to create favorites / folders for vst plugins or samples etc. would be nice

timday

Re: Favorites - VST plugins

Post by timday » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:12 pm

You kind of can with VSTs by putting them in subfolders in your VST folder. I have mine arranged by manufacturer but I'm pedantic like that.

I realise it isn't the same but anyway.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Same here, but my folders are labeled by type: dynamics, echo & reverb, EQ, distortion, instruments & noisemakers, etc, etc, etc.

I also have a folder labeled "Mastering" that contains the five plug-ins I most commonly use on the master track for the final mix. Each plug-in in that folder has been renamed to start with a number so that the plug-ins display in the order that I usually use them in.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:30 am

It would be very nice to have one favourite view, like this:

Arpeggiator
EQ Eight
LFO
My Sample Folder
Sampler
Synth1

Much better than going back and forth between views, or using ctrl+f all the time.

Also, there should be custom tags, as has been mentioned in other topics.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:05 am

I heard that you can create shortcuts to your plugins and move them around folders - Ableton recognizes them as well.

But personally ight now I don't have so many plugins to ever need to search for them.
My advice is to get rid of all the plugins you don't really need, they only distract you from actual work.

timday

Post by timday » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Warmonger wrote:I heard that you can create shortcuts to your plugins and move them around folders - Ableton recognizes them as well.

But personally ight now I don't have so many plugins to ever need to search for them.
My advice is to get rid of all the plugins you don't really need, they only distract you from actual work.
I think since version 9 Ableton no longer recognises shortcuts or aliases. Unless they've brought them back and I missed it.

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:21 am

The functionality is already there, just in a different way.

1. Make a folder, and put it in the 'Places' section. Call it Effects... or instruments... or plugins. Whatever you want. Put as many subfolders in it as you want. Call them what you want.
2. Place your favorite plugins, with your favorite default settings in racks.
3. Drag those racks to the folders you've made in places.

Honestly, I think this is better than a favorites list, and it eliminates a problem I have with the ableton broswer in that there are like 4 different places you have to look for plugins (Ableton specific, max for live, plugins).
Doing this lets you sort and combine plugins in lists without having to worry about what kind of plugin they are or whatever. It's also searchable. I set mine up so I have a folder for Effects - Mixing, Effects - Sound Design, Instruments, and Instrument Presets.