A special kind of realtime granular playback

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
JES

A special kind of realtime granular playback

Post by JES » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for a M4L device that can change the playback speed of a sample independent of the project tempo in real time and without changing its pitch. Ideally, it would be possible to do this with any of Live's time-stretching algorithms. BUT, when it's playing at regular tempo, I want it to just sound like the clip is playing, not like it's running through a granular sampler. I am, of course, fine with all sorts of granular artifacts as the playback rate changes. . . .

Obviously, you can do stuff like this in Granulator or DensityM4L but even at regular speed you get all sorts of artifacts.

Basically, I'm trying to reproduce one of my favourite Octatrack techniques in Live. On the OT, sample speed can be messed with independently of project tempo, and then snapped back into sync. This allows me to take 2-3 different versions of the same audio (usually I do textures, not beats) and gradually slow them down and speed them up independently of one another so they go in and out of sync.

TIA.

--JES

chapelier fou

Re: A special kind of realtime granular playback

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Just throwing an idea here : you could use Granulator or whatever while playing the original clip and make a crossfade when you get close to the original tempo ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:48 am

I just saw the Max for Cats thread in this same forum board. Might this help?

http://maxforcats.com/category/m4l-audiofx/

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Theres a really old vst called heizenbox that can sample input audio and stretch it in various ways. Its actually pretty nice I use it somewhat regularly. I dont think its for sale anymore though. I dont normally recommend torrents but I believe it might be the only way to get it now.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.