Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gorskkr

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub???

Post by gorskkr » Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm

I currently monitor my mixes on Rokit KRK 5" Gen 2 studio monitors. I've generally enjoyed these and their sound, however, I'm looking to get more bass response (these are currently limited to 52hz).

Initially I decided to purchase Rokit KRK 6" Gen 3 studio monitors bc they extend down to 38hz. I figured I'd get a better bass response, better sound, and better monitoring in the 40 to 60hz range with these (I normally roll of below 40hz anyway).

This all changed when I went to my local music shop today. I was told that what I should be doing is keeping my 5"s and buying a sub instead (the salesman seemed quite insistent that this was the right course to take). I understand that I'll get a better representation of the low end with a sub. However, I've heard this can introduce more problems then remedies when it comes to at home mixing. Please let me know your thoughts and if I should stick to the original plan (KRK Rokit 6"s) or go in for the Sub woofer.

**Also, because I know you're probably going to ask about my room... I have a large rectangle-shaped room with a high-sloped vaulted ceiling. I'll get the dimensions for you guys soon. Thanks again for any help

^^^My desk is on this wall (right below the painting

^^opposing view

Again, I'll get the dimensions soon as pictures can be deceiving.

EDIT: Dimensions are 25 X 14" .
Last edited by gorskkr on Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Re: Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub???

Post by H20nly » Thu May 15, 2014 8:56 pm

the sub will help you with your mixes for testing them and will certainly lend itself to some great playback potential, but i'm of the belief that you should get your mixes as dialed in as possible on your monitors and then use the sub... to check the low frequencies. personally, i would not mix with one... only check the mix.

the problem is, the question you're asking is subjective. there is probably somebody somewhere who mixes with a sub. so, if he/she posts next then you have two opinions that cancel each other out.

i would say that jumping from 5" to 6" in the same speaker category is not worth it. if you're going to do that, i would recommend going to the next level of monitor quality while you're at it. go from 5" Rokit to 6" Adam or Genelec, for example. then again, that quality of monitor will sound just as good and probably better in a 5" model too. YRMV

the house looks nice, but the room seems like it would be difficult to get 100% accurate mix in. you might want to skip the sub and get some really good headphones... or get both.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/s ... 0-pro.html

tintala

Post by tintala » Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 am

DO you make bass music? Then yes.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 am

9 times out of 10 I think a sub is wasted, especially if you don;t have it positioned right and decend acoustic treatment. Better off just getting larger main monitors if you can.

gorskkr

Post by gorskkr » Mon May 19, 2014 5:22 pm

thanks for the replies. Tarekith, thats my plan and thoughts after looking deeper into things... Going to pick up the new monitors later today.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm

gorskkr wrote:I currently monitor my mixes on Rokit KRK 5" Gen 2 studio monitors. I've generally enjoyed these and their sound, however, I'm looking to get more bass response (these are currently limited to 52hz).

Initially I decided to purchase Rokit KRK 6" Gen 3 studio monitors bc they extend down to 38hz. I figured I'd get a better bass response, better sound, and better monitoring in the 40 to 60hz range with these (I normally roll of below 40hz anyway).

This all changed when I went to my local music shop today. I was told that what I should be doing is keeping my 5"s and buying a sub instead (the salesman seemed quite insistent that this was the right course to take). I understand that I'll get a better representation of the low end with a sub. However, I've heard this can introduce more problems then remedies when it comes to at home mixing. Please let me know your thoughts and if I should stick to the original plan (KRK Rokit 6"s) or go in for the Sub woofer.

**Also, because I know you're probably going to ask about my room... I have a large rectangle-shaped room with a high-sloped vaulted ceiling. I'll get the dimensions for you guys soon. Thanks again for any help

^^^My desk is on this wall (right below the painting

^^opposing view

Again, I'll get the dimensions soon as pictures can be deceiving.

EDIT: Dimensions are 25 X 14" .

A sub can be a problem. If it isn't done right, it can do more harm than good.

IMO you would be better off treating your room before getting a sub especially making sure your low frequency modes are minimized. You could then use a big set of monitors if you need to hear more lows. Usually a good pair 8 inch monitors will do a decent job of at least letting you hear down to about 40 hz. I bought the KRK VXT 8 inches and those things go pretty low without sounding hyped.

If you do add a sub, I would make sure it is one that is made specifically for your monitors.

I had a sub (a behringer model) that I used with some passive older Event monitors and it sounded pretty impressive actually.

The problem was that my bass didn't translate that well. What would sound good on my system would sound weak on other systems. Actually by removing the sub and just using the Events in their normal settings, my mixes translated better.

network4musicians

Post by network4musicians » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Here's an article for anyone looking to build a home recording studio on a budget with a basic overview about subs etc.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 am

i mix with a sub. but i make 'bass' music with relevant information below 60hz. i also have 6 bass traps in key locations.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Post by 4.33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 am

Actually you might decide to go with the sub as opposed to larger monitors because you can fine tune it based on your rooms response. A sub can (I) attenuate your errr subs (II) you can manually set your crossover frequency. Granted most monitors have the roll off switches but it's nowhere near the result you get with a sub.

Also, larger monitors imply larger listening distance. And in your room I think you'd want everything as near field as possible or you'll get mad reflections

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am

the rokit g8's are pretty fucking bassy. i'd say that 9 times out of 10 a standard home studio is full of acoustic anomalies and it might be easier to get some decent headphones, some reasonable monitors that get down to around 40hz and then just go for the car stereo test of trying mixes out on every playback system you can encounter. it's either that or become Ricardo Villalobos.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:13 pm

oddstep wrote: or become Ricardo Villalobos.
"i can hear the audio engine"

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Ah yeah, i had forgotten the words, i just remembered him zoning out surrounded by space fungus speakers.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 pm

To me the sub was the solution to my mixing problems.

I followed carefully the instructions on where to place it, and then downloaded a demo version of Smaart to check the frequency response of mr room. Fortunately the response was flat.

But you might have to do room treatment in order to get a flat frequency response
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo