LAH LAH LATENCY

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
skyworm

LAH LAH LATENCY

Post by skyworm » Tue May 31, 2005 3:48 pm

Hello, I have been attempting to record guitar clips to work into my dj set.
I'm running my guitar thru an M-audio firewire 410, theres a pretty large delay in realtime recording from the gutiar/firewire 410 to ableton to amke a clip.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to get zero latency?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue May 31, 2005 9:15 pm

You'll never get zero latency if going through the soundcard, into the computer and out again.

Zero latency monitoring just means that you listen to the audio going into the soundcard directly.

However, you should be able to have a latency as low as maybe 10-15 msecs roundtrip with a good a computer and a properly configured soundcard. That is pretty low and should hardly be noticeable. Tweak your buffer seetings. Reduce them as far as you can without getting clicks and pops.

vangroover

Post by vangroover » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:03 pm

dude those fire wire 4/10 are shit (for the time being) they need to fix the damn problems i bought one in November and it isn't usable drop outs latency issues crashes just fucking CRAP, but i hear they work on pc ok what are you running it on ?
Intel G4 Duo 2GHZ / 2G of Ram / OS 10.4.8 / UC-33 controller / Live 6.0.3

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:20 pm

if you instal asio4all you should be able to improve your latency .
if you want to have a near to zero latency you need to get a bit better than maudio .
http://www.asio4all.com

willum

Post by willum » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:35 am

I tried both the M-Audio FW410 and the Ozonic, and neither of them worked at all on my Dell Laptop running WinXP. M-Audio has some serious driver issues they need to address. I now use a Presonus Firebox, which works wonderfully. I also have an Echo Indigo IO which has also been fabulous (and very portable as well).

cool4music

Firewire 410

Post by cool4music » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I have used Live (Demo version) and have finally bought my copy.

I would'nt fully agree with the comments on M-audio soundcards..... I have found their entry level range (audiophile, solo, etc) to be really messy in terms of sound quality along with the huge latency issue.

I got my brother a new Firewire 410 recently, and it gives 4 ms latency on my Acer laptop (Centrino 1.7, etc) and runs without any problems at all. I however, had installed the UPDATED drivers from M-audio's website for the soundcard and it has never given my brother any problems at all...

I'd recommend trying out the soundcards with your laptops in music stores (most sales guys won't mind that), and find out the optimum latency for your machine and then decide on buying a particular sound card.

Best wishes