Japanese find sex, love, and relationships mostly pointless

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Japanese find sex, love, and relationships mostly pointless

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o ... having-sex

A little TL;DR but you can get the point skimming. Discuss.

re:dream

Re: Japanese find sex, love, and relationships mostly pointless

Post by re:dream » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Code: Select all

Learning to love: sex counsellor Ai Aoyama, with one of her clients and her dog Marilyn
I have to say the young man does have the look of someone who hasn't gotten laid in a long time.

Post by re:dream » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Fewer babies were born here in 2012 than any year on record. (This was also the year, as the number of elderly people shoots up, that adult incontinence pants outsold baby nappies in Japan for the first time.)

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:28 pm

The Finn wrote:Image
If anyone's interested, you can get those War of the Worlds gloves for Y30,0000 on Amazon Japan.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:54 pm

My first of many comments on this subject. Spain is also experiencing a population decline because of people not making babies. I would argue that a lot of babies being born in the world right now are because of “whoops”, pressure from one partner, or religious damands. People are really selfish today (and I don’t mean that in a bad way in this case), want to live life a little, and realize life is hard enough just taking care of their own shit.

And with doing zero research I’m going to speculate that the poorer populations of the world are the ones having the most babies, whether it’s being irresponsible or feeling it’s going to give their life more meaning.

And I’m not meaning to offend anybody on here who has kids. I’m making general statements that may or may not apply to you.

Post by re:dream » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:23 pm

But there seems to be something more going on too
Aoyama's first task with most of her clients is encouraging them "to stop apologising for their own physical existence".
That seems to indicate a deeper malaise than just wanting to live a little.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 pm

The Finn wrote:But there seems to be something more going on too
Aoyama's first task with most of her clients is encouraging them "to stop apologising for their own physical existence".
That seems to indicate a deeper malaise than just wanting to live a little.

Well fuck. I was hoping they just realized it shouldn’t be a main driving force in life and instead is a residual primal drive that no longer serves a purpose for our species. :x

Think of how much we can accomplish as humans, but at the end of the day it all just comes back to getting laid for a lot of people. :x

Post by re:dream » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:02 pm

beats me wrote:
Well fuck. I was hoping they just realized it shouldn’t be a main driving force in life and instead is a residual primal drive that no longer serves a purpose for our species. :x
Are you saying the reproductive drive no longer serves a function for our species? 8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 pm

The Finn wrote:
beats me wrote:
Are you saying the reproductive drive no longer serves a function for our species? 8O
Pretty much. We're not exactly having a survival of the species crisis here and we're not exactly the best thing that has happened to the planet. It and we could all use a little cool down period.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 pm

my reproductive driver just got updated. i'm stronger, more efficient, and deliver up to 10 Giganuts of data per pass.

i want some of the War of the Worlds gloves, but i think it's for all the wrong reasons.

i can agree with the Japanese about a certain level of pointlessness in relationships... i was just thinking yesterday how pointless it was for me to date my ex. my current relationship is much better though... and the only time i look like the guy in the picture holding the Shih Tzu is when my girlfriend doesn't understand what i meant in a text...
how can that ever happen? :|

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm

People are really selfish today (and I don’t mean that in a bad way in this case), want to live life a little, and realize life is hard enough just taking care of their own shit.
I'm sure the number of people who have kids for selfish reasons outweigh that immensely.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 pm

shadx312 wrote:
People are really selfish today (and I don’t mean that in a bad way in this case), want to live life a little, and realize life is hard enough just taking care of their own shit.
I'm sure the number of people who have kids for selfish reasons outweigh that immensely.
I agree if you’re talking about the other “I must create a human being to take care of (take care of me later in life) and carry on my legacy” kind of selfish. Void filling much?

And to appeal to my conservative constituents, there’s also the “I must create a human being so the government can pay for me and them for at least the next 18 years” type selfish.

Maybe my original statement would have been better served using "self involved" instead of "selfish".

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 pm

let's not forget the 'he won't leave me if i'm pregnant' selfish which is very similar but not as selfish as 'but i want a baby, he'll change his mind after the baby is born' selfish.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 pm

^ Which sometimes leads to the 'how the hell am I going to fit her in the trunk of this Honda' kind of selfish.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 pm

true, but that can lead to the "those pigs look pretty hungry" selfish... i'm not sure, but i think there is some good in this last one if you look really hard.