Ableton Screen Casting

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dancastro

Ableton Screen Casting

Post by dancastro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 am

Hey guys,

I have a relatively simple setup consisting of a duet and SE X1 and Ableton 9...

I would like to be able to record a screen cast video of a production of mine through something like camtasia or similar, but cannot figure out how to record the audio and ableton project at the same time... I would prefer not to record the mic audio, through which I will talk...in Ableton.

Does anybody know how to get around this?

Best Regards,

Dan

TYLRbass

Re: Ableton Screen Casting

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm

What I've done in the past is route Live's output to Soundflower and then from Soundflower into the screencap program.. then I think the final step is routing Soundflower to your soundcard or built-in output so you can still hear what you are actually doing.

http://cycling74.com/soundflower-landing-page/

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

I second the SoundFlower option. It's excellent for recording screencasts, Skype conferences, or sounding like Satan when you call mom.

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 am

I use SW called Screenflow. It allows you to record the computers audio.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 am

i tried the demos of the usual all-in-one apps but ended up using a combination of QuickTime's built-in screen capture, soundflower, and a handy app called HeadsUp (free on app store) to capture the macbook's camera. worked well for me.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 am

If you keep your eye out for Mac/Windows software bundles a good quality screencast application will inevitably be included at some point. I've managed to get both Screenflow and Camtasia this way. Both packages normally retail from around £60 upward, but as part of bundles I managed to get them both for around £35 each, together with 9 other great apps included in the price (eg. Parallels Desktop for Mac, Bioshock 2, Civilization V, CleanMyMac 2 etc). It is well worth the wait, and in the meantime you could use the Soundflower workaround mentioned above.

Good screencast software makes a huge difference - you can edit, add transitions, extra audio tracks, highlight areas of the screen, blur other areas out etc. All this makes teaching much more effective as you easily edit out mistakes and cut out long periods of silence where you forget what you were going to say next (as I often do).

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

Bundles are frequent on Mac, yes. If there's anything you want (not made by Panic ;) it'll usually get a steep discount at least once a year.

I personally use ScreenFlick for screen recording (it's small and fast, but might lack a few extras found in Screenflow), but I still route through SoundFlower to Live/Logic if I need to record anything. Although most of my recording is to show some bug, and it isn't usually accompanied by any speech.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 am

gnurf wrote:sounding like Satan when you call mom.
^ this

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 am

Up to 10 min HD quality, no watermark - free.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=27870