AU plug-in presets in Ableton 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hedgemunkees

AU plug-in presets in Ableton 9

Post by hedgemunkees » Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 am

Hope somebody can help.

I cannot see any of my AU plug in presets in version 9. I load a AU plug in, use the hotswap key as I did in version 8 but no longer can i see the plug in presets. How do I recover this?

thx in advance

hipdeejay

Re: AU plug-in presets in Ableton 9

Post by hipdeejay » Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Had this problem. You have to copy them over from your Live 8 library.

Depending on where you saved them. In your live 8 library there should be a folder named "presets".
Same with Live 9 user library. Just copy them over.

It's dumb that the libraries didn't just merge.

hedgemunkees

Post by hedgemunkees » Sun May 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Thx for the advice....totally makes sense. Although I cant find that presets folder in Ableton 8. I dont recall saving any presets anywhere so Ableton 8 and all my AU plug-ins were just a normal install, where might the folder be on Mac?

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Sun May 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Open up Live 8 and go to preferences. Then click the Library tab.
At the top it will say "Library Location"

This is where your Live 8 library is saved on your mac. Mine is /Users/Home/Ableton

Go to wherever it says it is saved on your Mac. It may be under a different name, and
most likely a different location then mine.

Once you get there in Finder there is a folder called "Presets". This is where all Ableton's
presets are stored for instruments, effects and such. You didn't make this folder, Live did automatically.

Just copy this folder over to your new Live 9 library. Which will also be in a different location, except it's now called "User Library". There is also a "Presets" folder in there.

Use the same process in Live 9 to find where you saved your Live 9 "User Library" folder. It may be in /Users/Home/Music/Ableton or something like that. Wherever it is, Live will tell you under preferences in the Library tab.

Hope this helps.

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Ok I just realized you were asking about AU plugins, and not the stock Ableton effects/instruments and such.

The instructions I listed above will work if you saved custom presets for Live 8's "auto-pan" or "operator" or something like that for example. Because Live 9 doesn't automatically copy them over to the new Library.

But for third party AU plugins, the hot swap presets from Live 8 should still be there. I just tested it on Live 8 and Live 9 and they're still there. No need to copy them over. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

So for example, say you saved a custom preset for Sylenth1 AU in Live 8. It should still be hotswappable in Live 9. It is on mine.

The AU presets saved in Live, I have no idea where those are stored, but would also like to know.

hedgemunkees

Post by hedgemunkees » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 pm

thx for your help, I do appreciate it.

Yes it is AU plug-ins I have the problem with.
I have just loaded up Ableton 8 and using the hot-swap button all AU presets are there. When I load up Ableton 9 and use hot-swap no presets show???

Not sure why...

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 am

I was curious about this so I did a quick search, hope this helps

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/au-preset-handling/

As I suspected, it really depends on the plugin. You should be able to find
them now. Still no idea why they wouldn't show up in Live 9 if they did in Live 8
but at least now you can locate them and copy them over.

Good luck!

hedgemunkees

Post by hedgemunkees » Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am

The link does describe how AU plug in presets work. It does not however explain why I can see my presets in 8 but not in 9.

Any other ideas anyone?

regards

hedgemunkees

Post by hedgemunkees » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Nobody else got similar issues?

Pole Folder

Post by Pole Folder » Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I have the same issues.

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 am

So I figured out an easy fix. Pretty much common sense though. Read carefully.

First open up Live 8. In the browser, go to the preset that you're having trouble with.
For example go to "Sylenth1" in the browser, click the arrow then select your preset "Bass Preset1"
and right click it.

Then select "show in finder".

This is the location of the preset that's not showing up in Live 9. Take note of this location or just leave finder open. (The location varies from plugin to plugin)

Now open up Live 9. Go to the browser and select the same plugin where the preset's not showing up. Now with the plugin open, save a preset in Live 9's device. (the little hard disc icon to the right of the "X"

Now do the same thing. Right click this new preset you saved in Live 9. Select show in finder. Now via finder, drop your old presets from Live 8 (in the finder window we originally opened) into the folder that contains the preset we just saved in Live 9.

Hope this makes sense. This should work for those having trouble with their AU presets not showing up in Live 9.

robinrenwick

Post by robinrenwick » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 am

i still have this problem, moving from Live 7 to Live 9. I am using the TAL Noisemaker plugin - on which the presets are hardcoded. The prestos do not show up in the Live 9 browser, but do on Live 7. Does anybody have a fix for this! please please please

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 am

What worked for me is just find the preset's location on your HD. It could be in a number of places depending on the plugin. Do a spotlight search, you'll find it.

Then put that preset in the new Live 9 user Library. I created a special folder for these, I don't think it matters where as long as it's in the Live 9 User Library. Then it should show up under the plugin's name in the Live 9 browser.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:54 am

just got introduced to this new wonderful reality on live post 9:
no access to the plugin factory presets,
a basic functionality that has always worked in this software for years

is this supposed to be a new feature of the software?
its the only explanation for the fact that after a year out this has still not been fixed

likewise, the new behaviour when saving au presets is just horrible,
it used to work fine (again, for many many years),
you saved a preset and it would be saved to ˜/Users/<YourUser>/Library/Audio/Presets (on a mac)
now it just drops the aupreset file on the root of your live user library,
making a mess unless u do manually what the software should do automatically like it always did

cannot believe anyone could ever think it was a good idea to change the way this has always worked but it seems v9 is full of this kind of personality disorder induced changes that make no sense at all

broc

Post by broc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am

nonnus wrote: ...you saved a preset and it would be saved to ˜/Users/<YourUser>/Library/Audio/Presets (on a mac)
now it just drops the aupreset file on the root of your live user library...
Probably it was changed because in recent versions of OS X the user library is hidden from the user,
ie. can only be accessed via the Go menu with 'Go To Folder...'.

Personally I like the new concept of OS X avoiding confusion of common library and user library.