can someone help explain some djing basics w/ me.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
summersc2002

can someone help explain some djing basics w/ me.

Post by summersc2002 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:54 pm

Before reading this, please bare with me. I am very to new to the music world and have had live now for about 5months, but have steared clear from the warping/djing side of the program. I just got done reading ableton live 4 power and am really intrigued w/ the possiblilities of djing with program. The problem is I dont know much about djing itself.My question to you guys is I need to know some basics of how to dj. I really don't know to much how it works, besides blending 2 songs together.

1.Obviously you blend of 2 songs, does that mean you can throw any 2 songs together that are warped? or Do you throw one of your favorite songs with some homeade beats.

2. I would like to know, how alot of electronic artists can take a rock song and then blend it with techno beats.

Any other, basic applications on how it works would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

drush

Post by drush » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:49 pm

this will sound like a smartass reply but it's not: once you get the technical stuff down and you CAN blend any two tracks together, stop asking yourself the questions you put in this posting. take music you personally like and go explore.

that said, probably the best thing to do starting from Square One re djing is just listen to some djs and think about the choices they made. if you don't know what you like, at least so's people don't tell you to listen to sasha... hah.. go download this and give it a listen. this is a good example of some otherwise-very-difficult-to-mix (i.e. pre ableton) tracks and a fantastic dj in general.

but most of all just throw out your questions and go play. how do you blend a techno track and a rock track (once they're warped)? just do it.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:05 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatmatching is a basic skill most djs do. You do it in Ableton Live by using the warp markers.

read, try and try again

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi Summers. Welcome to the world of Live.

Technically you could throw any two songs that are warped together but they may not sound so great. One thing you want to do is find elements of the two pieces and try to make them gel together. My own opinion on this is that it works better if you make many different loop points in each song. That way you can have different parts that work together better. Stretching the tempo too much on a piece to make it match something else may not give you the effet that you want. It could also create something so unique that you have to do it. It's really your call.

I would strongly encourage you to add your own elements. Not only is it a lot of fun but you will be adding your own signature to the sound.

Really you should just warp a few tracks and start playing with it. Your ears will tell you what you like and what you don't.

Good luck!
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

gaspode

EQ

Post by gaspode » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:45 pm

Learn how to use EQ constructively...

as an example...

Setup 3 tracks, each with a basic drum beat... and drop an eq 3 in each of them...

select the first track and kill mid and high eqs... this track will provide you with the bass. adjust the low end cutoff frequencies until this track sounds about right bass wise.

select the second track... kill the lows and highs... this track will be your mids. Adjust the low and high cutoff until it doesn't sound too bassy... and doesn't have a lot of high end content...

select the third track... kill the lows and mids... this track will be your highs... Adjust the high cutoff until it has a good amount of high end content.

Now... play all of the tracks together... solo different parts by mute/unmute of different tracks... play with the volume level for each track that wasn't killed to add emphasis to different parts of your new drum truck.

Oh, and welcome to the world of dj'ing.

Keep in mind, this example is in some ways a bit more complicated than what most DJ's do, as they only work with two tracks... but also keep in mind they have all sorts of other things to worry about when mixing songs as well. Still, you can do this kind of effect with bass lines, vocals, synths, melodies or whatever... sometimes you'll be amazed at what you get just playing around and think 'why didn't anybody think of that before'...

As was said though... just take some tracks you enjoy playing with... warp them up... break them into constituent parts... intro, main a, chorus b, etc and then eq them, slide in some elements from other songs or your own work... that's how the big boys do it a lot of the time anyways...

The only thing I'll mention and then I'll be done... don't forget that there is no replacement for blood, sweat and tears... you're going to have to do all this work if you want to remix anyways, so don't bother wasting your time looking for shortcuts or anything... take notes about how you break up the song... analyze your process and make adjustments as needed... you'll be doing this with no problems very quickly.

Greg

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:43 pm

If there's a song that doesn't quite fit into another song, there is nothing holding you back from adding to it to make it fit better. I had to add a short drum loop to a Le Tigre song to get it to mix into this other song in my DJ mix. It sounds pretty neat now.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:48 pm

I found that the best ideas come from listening to what others did, taking YOUR favorite songs (whatever styles they are - rock, hip hop, techno, country, opera, whatever) and make them flow like the djs did. Blending the tracks together is important, but not essential. The idea of blending is to make the beat continue so that those dancing will keep dancing.

Here are a few great DJs to look up (this is called FUN research)

Sasha (Evolver) Completely done in Live. A lot of folks don't care for Sasha - including myself - but he is pushing a few boundaries.

James Zabiela (renaissance). Done with 2 CDJ100 CD turntables and an effect box. Almost all of this CD can be done in Live. The best part of this CD is the liner notes, because he explains every transition. So buy the CD (not off iTunes/fileshare client). VERY good CD.

DJ Z-Trip and DJ P (Uneasy Listening Volume 1). Done with vinyl. Not for sale as far as I know, so look for it on Kaazaa (sp?) if no one has it for sale. These guys basically did the first mash-up set with rock and hip hop. AWESOME SET.

DJ Greenpaece and DJ Yoda (Essential Mix) off Radio One. Big download, but one of my favorites easily (2 hours long). Hip hop, rock, DnB. I dont know what all these guys mixed with but I'm pretty sure they time corrected the rock stuff and put it on CD to mix with CDJs.

DJ Zebra and Loo & Placido (New Years Eve Mixes - 3 total). More mashup party mixes...

Basically, most of this stuff isn't just straight forward beatmatch mixing, but a good flowing set that uses technology and technique to really mix the songs...

... after you get these, listen to them about 3 time apiece and then ask yourself what makes a good DJ set.

Good luck
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:25 pm

wow. thanks alot for all of the great replies. Im definetely going to getting working on all of those ideas. I like the idea about breaking the song up and adding my own stuff to it. I guess Ill get warping. later

chris