PSP MasterQ stereo out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
feyshay

PSP MasterQ stereo out

Post by feyshay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:21 am

I saw a post on PSP about not getting stereo out with MasterQ. I think the post was by globalgoon. Anybody else have this problem? I'm not thinking that I'm having a problem with getting stereo out. How would I tell BTW?

AdamJay

Re: PSP MasterQ stereo out

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:07 am

feyshay wrote: I'm not thinking that I'm having a problem with getting stereo out. How would I tell BTW?
pan 2 sounds to opposite sides, slap on the MasterQ, and throw on a pair of headphones.

i'll check the Demo out of MasterQ as i only use VW.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:17 am

hey look at that!
no Stereo here either!

i put a single sound through it, panned it hard left, and MasterQ is summing the output as a mono signal, equally to left and right channels.

looks like its a mono effect only.

well here's your work around, make 2 pre-master channels for 2 MasterQ's. 1 left channel and 1 right channel. For the left, insert a Utility plug and hit the "L" so it grabs just the Left material and sums it. Repeat the same thing for the right.
Put your MasterQ's after the utility plugins in each Left and Right pre-master channel.... Pan your premaster channels respectively (L & R), send the Premaster channels to Master.

i'll make a template here in a sec....

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:26 am

here you go:

http://www.djadamjay.com/files/PSP_Mast ... mplate.zip
(1.39MB)

this is just a quick impulse pattern. individual sounds in impulse are panned so you can hear that the signal IS stereo.
and the L & R premaster channels are all set up.
i used the PSP MasterQ demo, so if there are any issues, locate the MasterQ demo vst's on channels 2 and 3, and replace them with your own MasterQ and re-save.

feyshay

Workaround for Mono PSP MasterQ

Post by feyshay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think the template fixes the problem. Do your template with a more rad effect (like Bottle or Pocked Radio). I find that you don't get the sound of the Equalizer effect with your template.
I tried changing the pre-masters' Audio-In from 1-Midi. Still no fix. I then tried the same method using return tracks, and I got it working!
I have the MIDI track as Sends Only. I then Send fully to A and B return tracks. I have the A return track panned to the left, and the B return track panned to the right. I have a utility in A set to the left and a utility in B set to the right. I just have a MasterQ equalizer in each return track. Voila--stereo effect. If I then put a Master Q into the MIDI track, it is again Mono. Can't use the equalizer in the main tracks, only in the return tracks to get stereo.
Thanks for the idea. What I find annoying is that I have to put it the equalizer into 2 return tracks (doubling the CPU utilization for the same effect that should just work in stereo!)
I'm disappointed with this aspect of the EQ. I guess the only cool thing with doing it with 2 Master Q's in 2 sends is that I could use 2 different equalization settings (one for right side sounds, one for left side sounds.
Is this a problem for PSP or Ableton to fix?

feyshay

ffx4

Post by feyshay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:12 pm

I tried to get FFX4 (a DX to VST converter) working as a VST to try to use the DX version of PSP Master Q since the VST equalizer version converted stereo to mono. The tech guy from PSP suggested using the DX version of Master Q. Unfortunately, when I tried to get any of the DX plug-ins using the FFX4 interface, I got an error message ("Plug-In Error"). I got this error with all of my potential DX plug-ins. Anybody have this problem with FFX4?

feyshay

working now with ffx4

Post by feyshay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:16 am

FYI.
I got the FFX4 working and the DX version of PSP MasterQ maintains stereo by plugging the DX into the FFX4 VST converter.
Problem solved thanks to the FFX4 idea from globalgoon.

DCools

Post by DCools » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:41 pm

Last year I asked about this in the PSP forum:

http://www.pspaudioware.com/ubbcgi/ulti ... 8;t=000024

Regards,
Diederick F.M. Cools

feyshay

PSP forum

Post by feyshay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:51 pm

I noticed that you asked the question, although I didn't see an answer in the forum. I hope you were able to get the situation solved. Otherwise, the FFX4 is at least a fix using the DX version.

DCools

Post by DCools » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:57 pm

Hola,

They gave me an answer. The solution is in a new update which we are still waiting for, four month now... :?

But when they do update it, I still can't use them in Live because of the damn Plug-Ins Delay Compensation for the most Plug-Ins I have. Live is great but don't use plug-ins...

Regards,
Diederick F.M. Cools

djk

Post by djk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:44 am

Anyone know whether this issue has been fixed? I'm thinking of getting MasterQ but it's a no go if it doesn't work with Live.
1.7 Pentium M IBM Thinkpad with XP Pro SP2; MOTU 828mkII; Trigger Finger; Live 5; Reason 3.0; lots of soft synths and plugs; Guitar Rig 2; Motif 7; Nord Lead 2; PRS McCarty, Fender, Am std Strat; Larrivee D-03; a bunch of outboard gear; and cheap wine.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:12 pm

djk wrote:Anyone know whether this issue has been fixed? I'm thinking of getting MasterQ but it's a no go if it doesn't work with Live.
yea it got fixed, just go to your PSP account and download the latest version.

DCools

Post by DCools » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 am

AdamJay wrote:yea it got fixed, just go to your PSP account and download the latest version.
Not for me on Windows XP :(

I still can't use MasterQ v1.0.2 and EasyVerb v1.0.3 in Live.
MacBook Pro
t.c. electronic konnekt 24D / Evolution UC-33
Live / Reason / Nuendo / Logic Pro
BassLine / MicroTonic / PSP Audioware