windows8 preview... anyone try it out yet ?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

windows8 preview... anyone try it out yet ?!

Post by 3dot... » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 pm

it's been out for 2 days..
I know it's only a non-final preview version... but so was win7 preview and still.. was fine for me when it came out....(better than xp)
all midi and audio drivers worked flawlessly..

so... did anyone try it out yet..?

ark

Re: windows8 preview... anyone try it out yet ?!

Post by ark » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 pm

No, but Microsoft claims that Win8 is pretty much built on top of the Win7 substrate, so I wouldn't expect to see much difference.

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 pm

not got it yet but i shall be installing it when i get home next week.
i doubt there will be much problems with drivers as the desktop mode is an improved win7.

what i want know is if i were to install Live on the upcoming intel tablets and someone made a metro app for Live how well would the system work? would be great for when travelling.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm

if you test it out can you see if windows will allow you to plug in a usb device (eg.apc40) without having to re boot Live?

i doubt it will, as it does just seem to be a tablet skin for windows 7...but just incase!??
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 pm

dna598 wrote:if you test it out can you see if windows will allow you to plug in a usb device (eg.apc40) without having to re boot Live?

i doubt it will, as it does just seem to be a tablet skin for windows 7...but just incase!??
This is more a problem with Live (on windows) than it is a Windows issue. Sonar detects a change in devices without restarting (well... most of the time :)

crofter

Post by crofter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Tried it, didn't like it, wiped it,perhaps the real thing will be more user friendly, Win 7 will do me nicely.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

Hurray - another layer to distance us from the
registry/dll crap, still back in there. I would love
to have a "metro" like OS. But this seems more like
a skin - just like media center.

Some like OSX, some like Windows. I really don't care
for either.

mouss3

Post by mouss3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

I haven't tried it yet, i never do with non final previews - i dont see the point. At first, i thought it looked naff, but i must admit, the more i see it, the more it grows on me. It has the potential to be very very interesting. Win 7 will do for now, its the best windows yet i think.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 am

Really? Microsoft is releasing it's first supposedly groundbreaking OS in....ever, and all you people can prattle on about is potential software and hardware compatibility issues?

I'm a top tier Apple fanboy and I'm more excited about what Microsoft might be bringing to the table than you people are.

:x

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:36 am

According to the demo videos it seems nice. Haven't yet tried it myself though.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am

Will 8 perform better than 7? If so, dull fat OSX will be total garbage. 7 already performs 5 times better than OSX in some situation.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am

pencilrocket wrote:Will 8 perform better than 7? If so, dull fat OSX will be total garbage. 7 already performs 5 times better than OSX in some situation.
What I'm trying to figure out is what type of thread on these forums can be started on a topic not at all related to Apple will make it so awkward for you to bring up OSX that you actually stay on the subject at hand in?
I sincerely do not think it's possible. :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am

On topic what do you Windows guys think about the whole tablet/widget-izing of the OS? I think it's bad, this was all tried by both Apple and Microsoft in Widgets and Gadgets, now HTML 5 apps and iOS apps are creeping into the main OS.... So more simple quick cheap apps and less time spent on complex and complicated software....

For instance the guy who came up with Wormhole on OSX which allowed audio streaming between computers and who also developed a pretty dammed good graphic EQ VST for both platforms is now doing iOS and Android Apps. My feeling is we're seeing the equivalent of junk food Apps being catered to by the big two platforms because it's easier to control the development of these apps against taking down the system, getting corrupted registries or preferences and freezing etc.

Basically the downside is on the consumer end IMO, small developers aren't going to want to put all their eggs in one basket and offer up a crazy complicated but intuitive new VST when they can make another simple game that you can play on your tablet, phone and computer, that costs nothing and is downloadable. The best that we can hope for is they make another drum machine that you can use on your phone. :x

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am

TLTR, stop trolling noob. You can merger 2 post to one by pressing the scissor icon anyway. I just wanted to know the performance of daw.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 am

pencilrocket wrote:TLTR, stop trolling noob. You can merger 2 post to one by pressing the scissor icon anyway. I just wanted to know the performance of daw.
Not proper english, noob. Please check you're grammar before posting.
Or just don't post if you've drank too much. :wink: I'm not the one who can't stop knocking an OS I don't even use. So who exactly is the troll? Think about that for a second if you will.

So what do you think of the dumbing down of the interface? Like I said I don't think it will lead to much good in terms of VST development, as small time coders can make more money coding these HTML Windows Apps and Andoid, iOS apps. :evil: