Stylus RMX and MIDI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shankly

Re:

Post by shankly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:37 am

jim110110 wrote:MarkH's PM to me, I hope this helps others:
-----

You have to tell RMX whether you want to use Multi Mode or Kit Mode. In Multi Mode you are working with loops and kit mode you are working with individual sounds. I don't think there is a way to have some loops, some single hits. It's either one or the other.

Let's say you're using Kit mode to program your own beats. Starting with a completely blank Ableton song where you have one Midi track, drag Stylus RMX plugin to that track and the VST instance will be added. Rename your midi track to RMX. Now open your RMX plugin and in the 8-part mixer select Kit Mode. Now you can load kicks, snares, hi-hats, etc. into each of the 8 parts. Keep in mind that each part is a different midi channel but in Live your midi track you named RMX default to midi channel one. Playing your keyboard will only trigger the sounds that are loaded in 1 in the plugin's mixer.

Next create another blank midi track in Live. Just above the fader you will see two drop-down list. Click the upper drop-down (furthest away from the volume slider) and you should see "RMX". Select "RMX" then click the drop down list below that one and you should see the additional midi channels and now you select 2. What you're doing here is telling Live that the midi you play on this second midi track should be sent to the track called RMX on midi channel 2. Since the Stylus RMX plugin can receive notes on 8 different midi channels, you keep adding midi tracks in Live by repeating these steps only after you select "RMX" you will select 3, 4, 5, etc.. You should end up with 8 midi track in Live all pointing to RMX 1-8.

You can also follow this same pattern for RMX audio output in Live's mixer. On the Spectrasonics site you can login to the RMX community and there are tutorials. You can also join the Spectrasonics group at groups.yahoo.com.

Hi all,

I have stylus & Live 8 set up as per their videos etc and it works fine in multi mode, i can use all 8 outputs etc and have them on their own chasnnels in live, however i cant get it to work in kit mode so each ch in RMX outputs to a midi ch in live so i can have each element on its own ch in live, read the manual / watched video / searched etc but am still confused, surely this should be easy right?Any help much appreciated!

jamief

Re: Re:

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

shankly wrote:
jim110110 wrote:MarkH's PM to me, I hope this helps others:
-----

You have to tell RMX whether you want to use Multi Mode or Kit Mode. In Multi Mode you are working with loops and kit mode you are working with individual sounds. I don't think there is a way to have some loops, some single hits. It's either one or the other.

Let's say you're using Kit mode to program your own beats. Starting with a completely blank Ableton song where you have one Midi track, drag Stylus RMX plugin to that track and the VST instance will be added. Rename your midi track to RMX. Now open your RMX plugin and in the 8-part mixer select Kit Mode. Now you can load kicks, snares, hi-hats, etc. into each of the 8 parts. Keep in mind that each part is a different midi channel but in Live your midi track you named RMX default to midi channel one. Playing your keyboard will only trigger the sounds that are loaded in 1 in the plugin's mixer.

Next create another blank midi track in Live. Just above the fader you will see two drop-down list. Click the upper drop-down (furthest away from the volume slider) and you should see "RMX". Select "RMX" then click the drop down list below that one and you should see the additional midi channels and now you select 2. What you're doing here is telling Live that the midi you play on this second midi track should be sent to the track called RMX on midi channel 2. Since the Stylus RMX plugin can receive notes on 8 different midi channels, you keep adding midi tracks in Live by repeating these steps only after you select "RMX" you will select 3, 4, 5, etc.. You should end up with 8 midi track in Live all pointing to RMX 1-8.

You can also follow this same pattern for RMX audio output in Live's mixer. On the Spectrasonics site you can login to the RMX community and there are tutorials. You can also join the Spectrasonics group at groups.yahoo.com.

Hi all,

I have stylus & Live 8 set up as per their videos etc and it works fine in multi mode, i can use all 8 outputs etc and have them on their own chasnnels in live, however i cant get it to work in kit mode so each ch in RMX outputs to a midi ch in live so i can have each element on its own ch in live, read the manual / watched video / searched etc but am still confused, surely this should be easy right?Any help much appreciated!

Freeze the audi and sequence in the arrangment page

best