May your bass be smooth and your transients never be shaved

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Pitch Black

May your bass be smooth and your transients never be shaved

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:41 am

I had this mix that I wanted to speed up from 113 to 123. None of the warp settings were giving decent results, so I came up with the idea of using separate Warp Modes on the top and bottom end.

1. Copy the audio file you want to 2 channels (either Session or Arrangement view).

2. Insert an EQ3 over each channel.

3. On the first track, switch OFF the mid and high bands of the EQ3 - this is now your low end track.

4. On the second track, switch OFF the low band of the EQ3 - this is now your high end.

5. Play the low end track by itself.

6. Switch the Warp Mode of the low end clip to Tones, and adjust the Grain Size parameter until you hear no burbling.

7. Play the high end by itself, set it's Warp mode to Beats, and adjust the Transients setting until you hear the best results.

8. Trigger both clips at once, either as a Scene or on the Arrange page, It should sound pretty smooth.

9. Tweak to taste and render to disk.

Using the EQ3's in their default setting with 48db slopes as a crossover network sounds pretty good to me... you can tune the "crossover point" to the track by making equal adjustments to the Freq Low parameter of both EQs.

supster

Post by supster » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:10 pm

awesome man, thanks

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:37 pm

he's a genius!

beateater

use external time compression

Post by beateater » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:03 am

on important stuff that doesn't have to be done on the fly I use dedicated time compression progarm like serato pitch and time or even the one in Wavelab, then pull it into Live.

I don't think Live's stength is it's top quality time compression, it's that it's such an intuitive app and can do some much on the fly. Nothing against it, there's just better software around for that specific task.

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:22 am

Prosoniq Timefactory is the Bomb! for that ....

forge

Post by forge » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:47 am

awesome tip!

just to add what I added in the other thread to go with what beateater said - I found on a full backing track my missus was using Live to change the key and Complex was really not cutting it, so I used Waves ultrapitch and it worked miracles - that plug-in is awesome

I cant say enough good things about waves