Bidule tutorial: How to get started with midi routings+lfo's

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hoffman2k

Bidule tutorial: How to get started with midi routings+lfo's

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Hello all,

After answering a lot of posts where i ended up suggesting Plogue Bidule as a solution. It became clear that not many people where too enthusiastic about the idea of running a second application.
Some people discovered Bidule though. And for those people it is pretty much the same experience as for me. Whether you are a beginner or an expert. You will always find something inspiring in Bidule and Live 4 working as one.

In this tutorial, we are going to do something simple. We will set up a 16 step sequencer in bidule, that outputs to Live.

But first things first. Plogue Bidule is a modular environment that allows you to do some things Live 4 can't do (yet) :wink:
You can download the latest version at www.plogue.com

This tutorial is made with screenshots out of osx. But they apply to windows users as-well. The only difference is virtual midi. When you start up Bidule on osx, it creates 4 virtual midi in/out's. On windows you will need a utility like "midi yoke" that will create virtual midi i/o in Live and Bidule. You will need to start up your virtual midi application before you start up Live and Bidule, and create at least 2 virtual in/out's.

Ok, lets get started with setting things up.
Start up Live and create a midi track with any instrument in it.
Now start up bidule.

Don't mind this dialogue. We don't need any rewire for now.

This is how everything should look like when you start it up. And assuming there are no other midi devices hooked that would show up as a default.
We don't really need all this stuff. So lets delete it.
Drag them closer together if you prefer and select them all by dragging a window around them. Right-click and select delete.

Ok. Now lets mess with midi a bit. Open a virtual midi out and a 16 step sequencer. Then connect them.

Now go to Live 4 and select in a midi track the output from the step sequencer as midi input.
Add an instrument to that track and turn monitor on.
If everything went right, then you should be hearing a sequence now. If thats not so, check the midi preferences in Live and see if your input or output is not disabled.

To configure the step sequencer, just double click on it in Bidule.
You can adjust the frequencies, bpm, value,....
If you have a midi controller like a uc33 hooked up, you could assign 16 knobs to the 16 frequency values. You can't miss the "learn midi" button in the sequencer window.

If you find that controlling a range from 0 to 12000 is a bit to much for a midi controller with 127 values. Then click on the parameters knob. There you can adjust the range of the values. If you are getting a bit confused with all these frequencies, you will like this next link.

http://www.indiana.edu/%7Eemusic/hertz.htm

I think this pretty much is as basic as i can get. Plogue Bidule has so much more to offer then what i just showed you. But hooked up to Live 4, the possibility's are endless.
Live lets you work in a structured environment, if you want it to be.
But we really need to start discuss more of the experimental stuff we all do. It may distract you from the way you work now. But it will also show you how powerful these apps are together. There are a lot things you will be able to do when it comes to midi routing. But more on that later.

I hope this tutorial made sense. If you have any questions or comments about this tutorial, feel free to share them. The whole point is to get a discussion going that actually leads to something we all can enjoy. Experimentation and exploration.

If i made any mistakes in explaining how to do this for windows, excuse me then.

Enjoy :D

Cheers

-Bjorn
Last edited by hoffman2k on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.

drush

Post by drush » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:48 pm

thanks much for that Bjorn.

could you get the images linked up properly? would like to see the whole post.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:41 pm

drush wrote:thanks much for that Bjorn.

could you get the images linked up properly? would like to see the whole post.
Ah. dont they show up? Might be a browser thing. I thought .tiff files where commonly used. I'll fix them. thanks for pointing it out.

cheers

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Let me know if this works for you guys. Tomorrow i will post how to set up an LFO from bidule to any parameter in Live. Maybe even cover how to send the signal from the LFO inverted to another parameter in Live.

Cheers

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:34 am

Quick hint:

I found that when using a footswitch to turn a step sequencer on and off
I'd get stuck midi On signals without a matching Off.

The work around was to switch the "scene" or whatever it's called... So
you switch to a blank scene in the step sequencer rather than muting it.

-Ben

colin_h

Post by colin_h » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:59 am

thanks for the tutorial, hoffman2k.
maybe one day I will fear MIDI no more 8O
..-

hoffman2k

How to use a lfo on any parameter in Live

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:21 pm

Now that you understand some of the basics, we can go over to the cool stuff.
As many lfo's as you want on any parameter you want.
Todays example will show you how to send a midi cc signal generated by an lfo to Live.

First start up Live or midi yoke if you're on windoows.
Then open this file in plogue bidule.
http://users.pandora.be/Vayner/dir/---/ ... bidule.zip

It should look like this.

Windows users will have to put a "midi yoke" output where "bidule 1 (out)" is on the picture.

In Live, open up the midi preferences and set Live's remote control to receive the signal coming from bidule 1 or midi yoke.

Now close the preferences menu and click on "learn midi" in Live.
Select an instrument and a parameter you wish to modulate.
The lfo is already running (unless the on/off knob in bidule is switched off) so you will get an assigned parameter as soon as you choose it.

Now leave "midi learn" mode and watch the parameter move :wink:
You can adjust the lfo in bidule. By double clicking on the lfo you will bring up it's controls.

You can set up as many lfo's as you like.
And you can record whatever is outputted. And you can control the lfo with your midi controller.

Happy tweaking.

Cheers

Last edited by hoffman2k on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:56 pm

Strange. they show up in my browser. Must be a mac / pc thing.
I'll just edit the links then.
Thanks.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:48 am

someday i will try this.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:58 am

Thank you!
This is great!

Teflon

Post by Teflon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:02 am

Thanks.. very nice... this is exactly what I want..
Iam used to work in Reason, so you know where I'am coming from; cv triggering (and I do miss that :( )
Anyway.. when I open your cc10 bidule it 'hangs' after like 1 minute..
the coloured disc (on osx) keeps spinning, and never stops so I have to force quit Plogue.. do you know why?

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:40 pm

flag !!! :D

i'm beginning to use Live+Bidule+EnergyXT (playing russian dolls with apps :wink: ) and this thread is just what i was looking for

great :D
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:49 pm

Teflon wrote:Thanks.. very nice... this is exactly what I want..
Iam used to work in Reason, so you know where I'am coming from; cv triggering (and I do miss that :( )
Anyway.. when I open your cc10 bidule it 'hangs' after like 1 minute..
the coloured disc (on osx) keeps spinning, and never stops so I have to force quit Plogue.. do you know why?
I've experienced that too.
I cannot explain how and why. But somehow if you move the bidules from there "saved" location. It doesn't happen. And i haven't had it ever since. But i do know what your talking about. "the spinning ball of death" :wink:

But since Bidule is going commercial soon, it really doesn't matter that much. Unless you're buying it.
I just thought of giving you guys a heads up on a great deal here.
65€ is really worth the convenience you get out of bidule. It all may look really complex. But like most things, you learn a bit at the time.
Most of the feature request on this forum could be filled with bidule.

Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts.

Cheers

-Bjorn

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:03 pm

65€ is really worth the convenience you get out of bidule.
i'm not sure it will cost 65€ when it will be at 1.0 version. 65€ just disables the expiration date of the demo (0.7 ends on 24 february). Plogue didn't annouce the price of the 1.0 version, am i wrong ?

Anyway :
On windows you will need a utility like "midi yoke" that will create virtual midi i/o in Live and Bidule. You will need to start up your virtual midi application before you start up Live and Bidule, and create at least 2 virtual in/out's
ok, i've tried to route midi from bidule to Live via the rewire bidule : impossible !!!
so i must use midiyoke ? and not run bidule as a rewire slave ?

thanx
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410