Presonus Firebox Audio Interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robin

Presonus Firebox Audio Interface

Post by robin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:04 pm

Anyone have one of these yet?

Look like a good alternative to Edirol FA66/101 and M-Audio Firewire AudioPhile/410. Both of these companies seem to have driver issues.

It seems to be related to the Firepod which has had some good reviews (and drivers seem ok, the same can't be said for the FireStation).

Anyone?
Last edited by robin on Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:36 pm

I spoke to a Presonus rep the other day and he seemed to think hte Firepod was great.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:00 am

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I spoke to a Presonus rep the other day and he seemed to think hte Firepod was great.
Hehehe. Good one.

Don't think anybody's actually used the interface yet? Is it on the street?

-Paws

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:42 am

Looks interesting, I'm anxious to hear reviews too.
I'm also waiting for the Echo AudioFire 8 to come out.
Judging by people's comments about the Indigo series, it looks promising.

Actually, I haven't heard anything about their PCI-based interfaces. Does anybody have experience with their Layla 3G or Gina 3G interfaces?

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 am

afaik it's not for sale yet

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:13 pm

i also have an intrested for the firebox... the drivers are cooked into OSX or so i heard? intresting, as i'm switch from pc to mac, and i heard some problems with other brands...

i checked at a presonus salesmen, and it is shipping only in 3 weeks, here in the benelux...
is it allready shipping in other parts of the world, with shops that are shipping to benelux?

xeb

Post by xeb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:14 pm

i got a firebox a few weeks ago in the states. nice robust little box. only just setting it up now but seems to be working fine. input levels seem a bit low and the 12dB boost doesn't seem to do anything though.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:32 pm

xeb wrote:i got a firebox a few weeks ago in the states. nice robust little box. only just setting it up now but seems to be working fine. input levels seem a bit low and the 12dB boost doesn't seem to do anything though.
This is the software boost from the control panel, right? Strange; it works great for me...

And fwiw, I have a firebox; it's great. Good sound, solid construction (you can always tell by the knobs), and good OS integration. OSX required no driver installation and is hot-swappable, too. I've heard the firebox performs just as well, but I don't know anyone that actually owns one... I just talked to the store reps and such.

highdropod

Post by highdropod » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:24 pm

I tested the Firebox and the Firepod, both are excellent cards for the price. If you need alot of i/o mic pres, I'd say pay the extra $200 for the Firepod.

xeb

Post by xeb » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:23 pm

DO NOT BUY THIS CARD IF YOU PLAN TO USE IT WHILE CONNECTED TO A WIRELESS LAN

i'm getting audio dropouts... after calling Presonus' technical support (very helpful btw) have narrowed it down to my home wireless network. its a known problem with no workaround expect turning off the LAN :?
Last edited by xeb on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:25 pm

hey xeb, why don't you tell us what OS you are using.
and what wireless card you are using as well.

mac users aren't having any issues with wireless
one guy is reporting losing about 13% of his CPU to it though in OSX.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:26 pm

and you may want to change your big bold billboard to
"do not buy this card if you plan to use a wireless lan at the same time"

xeb

Post by xeb » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:34 pm

i would've thought having one implied you wanted to use it ;)

win XP with SP 2 with Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card

apparently it may work ok with another card but certainly not guaranteed

the guy said it was known that it caused problems with the firewire interface... any ideas if this is a firewire problem or specific to this card? i may have to return it as i can't really disable the LAN (girlfriend will kill if i take away her internet when i'm playing with audio... which is most of the time).... but don't really want to run into the same problem if i get another firewire card...

xeb

Post by xeb » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:38 pm

xeb wrote:the 12dB boost doesn't seem to do anything
if anyone else has this problem i seemed to have solved it. install the card using the installation CD that came with it and the boost won't work (for me). intall it with the drivers off their site and it works fine. weird thing is the CD and website have the same driver version....

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm

xeb wrote: any ideas if this is a firewire problem or specific to this card? i may have to return it as i can't really disable the LAN (girlfriend will kill if i take away her internet when i'm playing with audio... which is most of the time).... but don't really want to run into the same problem if i get another firewire card...
are you guys using the same computer?
she's using the internet on the computer that has the Firebox?