help from any Logic/Pro Tools and Ableton users out there??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
benjbenj

help from any Logic/Pro Tools and Ableton users out there??

Post by benjbenj » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Let me start off by saying I love ableton and have been using it as my main daw for 5 years. It's the one that I learned on. Is there anyone out there who used ableton and felt that they were able to achieve anything better in to logic or pro tools, whether because of the proprietary plug ins, instruments, summing or whatever else?
or here it is put another way:

I want to improve the sound quality of my productions. All things aside (talent/technique/room/monitors/workflow/etc.---these are obviously all things that I'm working on as well), would you recommend incorporating Logic or pro tools into my production process, whether even just at the mixing stage?

I'm hoping there are people out there who use both logic/pro tools and ableton or have switched from Logic or Pro Tools to ableton and can tell me what they've found in their experience.

thanks for your help!

ARDJ

Re: help from any Logic/Pro Tools and Ableton users out there??

Post by ARDJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 pm

all the programs are great, nearly all of logic's stock plugs and protools stock plugs have some 3rd party equivalent so I wouldn't focus on that. Regarding daw "summing", it's been discussed TO DEATH. Just know what you're doing, where you're coming up short and focus on that. BTW what kind of music are you trying to do and where do you feel you're coming up short?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I don’t really care what scientific A/B tests people want to post. Different DAWs spit a different sound out the other end, for better or worse.

I think the discussed TO DEATH aspect of that contention on this forum is because Live consistently gets low ratings in that department in outside tests. If Live consistently got a high rating then it would probably never come up.

To me Logic sounds better, and that’s my opinion and experience. And there’s no reason other than financial that you can’t work in a multiple DAW setup.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:40 pm

beats me wrote:I don’t really care what scientific A/B tests people want to post. Different DAWs spit a different sound out the other end, for better or worse.
that's just it, to me ableton sounds XYZ, logic sounds ABC and pro tools 123. Are you really going to claim you make better MUSIC because of these subtleties?

it has been discussed to death and the reality is there are TONS of successful artists, engineers etc running on all sorts of DAW's. When you look at it that way you realize the DAW cannot be a predominant factor in the outcome.

billvb

Post by billvb » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I've been using Ableton Live since version 5, shortly after eMagic was purchased by Apple and Logic would no longer be updated on the PC. I had previously used Logic all the way back to when it was called Notator on my Atari 1040 ST. I also use Pro Tools and Nuendo in my work environment.

There are things to recommend all of these programs, but I have to say that for most things I tend to go to Live first, because it's so straightforward and such a nicely designed working environment. Of course, if I need to work with 5.1 or with scoring/notation or very dense MIDI stuff, I will tend to work in Nuendo.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:59 pm

ARDJ wrote:
beats me wrote:I don’t really care what scientific A/B tests people want to post. Different DAWs spit a different sound out the other end, for better or worse.
that's just it, to me ableton sounds XYZ, logic sounds ABC and pro tools 123. Are you really going to claim you make better MUSIC because of these subtleties?

it has been discussed to death and the reality is there are TONS of successful artists, engineers etc running on all sorts of DAW's. When you look at it that way you realize the DAW cannot be a predominant factor in the outcome.

Exactly. The problem is the hyper defensive people on here instantly translate “So and so artist prefers [insert DAW here] for mix down” into “I heard you can’t make great music with Live EVER at any stage”.

And also there is something kind of refreshing and more focused when you use one DAW for writing and another for mix down.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

here we fkn go again. no disrespect op

in b4 30 pages of the same argument

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Nothing to see here - move along!

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:50 pm

I've been into all three at one point or another over the last few years.

Live all the way for initial songwriting/experimenting. By far the most fun of the three.

Logic is my favorite mix down environment. I did learn a lot from the presets as a starting point and often replicate similar settings in live's own effects now. Love the curves in logic's arrangement automation and the also layout of the mixer. Dual monitors in logic also helps a great deal for me. Space/delay designer usually replace whatever I have on live's send tracks if I decide to move things over

Pro-tools my least favorite of the three, but pretty slick for tracking when hooked up with a mixing desk in a proper studio. The shuffle/ grid and beat detective stuff is pretty nice to once you get the shortcuts memorized. the swing and groove options for audio on pro-tools sound a lot nicer than live's groove on audio to me too