Ableton Roadmap

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
louZ

Post by louZ » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:18 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:Also, if you look at this with your marketing glasses on, if you state what the new features are, the competition will pick it up, maybe even relase some of the good ideas before your product. Then your product is not selling that well, less money, less budget to hire more engineers to do cool stuff... --Kent
ok, well then they could only announce features that the competition already has, but Live is still lacking (hint: groove quantize ;) ).
furthermore, if they don't give any details on the implementation of these features, the competition will know shit.

Example:

Announcement: "working on groove quantize"

Behind the scenes: kidnapped Marsian scientists are developping ways to control groove with human brainwaves in real time.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:38 pm

not convinced that somebody couldn't monitor the forums a little more, they've got marketers and sales people, right? more than just developers work there?

anyway, just a thought. i guess we'll see in 10 years if they made the right decisions.

rs

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:49 am

i don't understand why you people get the impression that they're not monitoring the forums 8O
Alex posts in the general and in the bugs forums pretty often. they only post seldomly in feature wishlist, but it's probably their policy not to talk about future plans. they only let us know they are still reading our requests.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:18 pm

I get the impression that, while not necessarily totally leaving the forums to "twist in the wind", they're nowhere near as heavily-monitored as they were a few years back.

I think even a post or two more per week from HQ would change that impression. If a question is addressed to ableton, it would be nice if a person from Ableton would respond.

Just thinking out loud,

rs

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:56 pm

these are a few recent examples:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16654

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18087

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17969

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17792

they do tend to only reply to specific bug reports, not to general questions about features or posts about bigger bugs (for example CPU use). i would like to see it otherwise in those areas too.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:14 pm

fwiw, worked for a shrink wrap software company and the second worst thing you want to do is sound like you're promising "next version features" to end users, because there is no guarantee the feature will make it into the release. The first worst thing is to mention "i'm thinking about coding that next version feature x that you thought would be good" to a salesperson :) because while the end users will whine if they don't get their feature they thought you promised, they whine anyway and they don't sit down the hall from you :).
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

radeon

Post by radeon » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:25 pm

ryansupak wrote:not convinced that somebody couldn't monitor the forums a little more, they've got marketers and sales people, right? more than just developers work there?

anyway, just a thought. i guess we'll see in 10 years if they made the right decisions.

rs
Me to. I dont see a point in posting in feature wishlist section because they never respond or I dont see any posts from ableton. What was the poing in having that section then?

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:10 pm

Unless a company has a dedicated evangelist or someone similar monitoring such groups, I would not expect engineers have time responding to all requests personally. Even more, I think it's enough if they monitor requests and keep track of them, and rather spend time coding and fixing new features. Work like this takes time, and Ableton is not a big company (yet). --Kent

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:29 pm

Word - a roadmap would be useful.

woodie

Post by woodie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:27 pm

radeon wrote:Me to. I dont see a point in posting in feature wishlist section because they never respond or I dont see any posts from ableton. What was the poing in having that section then?
I agree....I hardly see any posts from the Abes as well.

I would think in this day and age with the ease and use of computer/internet...that they would communicate a little better than they are, esp. being the official company "forum".

Other forums...esp. the small developers seem to have a better grip on continually monitoring and participating in their own forums. How the "little man" can do it so easily and bigger companies seem to have a harder time......is beyond me, esp with the greater amount of resources a bigger company has.

If I was running the ship...I would hire AT LEAST 1 guy to do this job - to answer technical questions and at least acknowledge people's posts around here. We all take valuable time out of our day to offer feedback and post on here, so I think it's only right that they do the same.
Live 7.0.18 : www.tarnce.com