shuffle/slip edit, vertical zoom, no-warp-loop, multichannel

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
re.Bug

shuffle/slip edit, vertical zoom, no-warp-loop, multichannel

Post by re.Bug » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am

live has come a long way since i first saw and heard it way back at version 3 or so. at the time i was completely unimpressed because of the poor audio quality. fortunately that has been improved a lot. but it wasn't until max4live was finally released that i got really enthousiastic and purchased both.

however, i still miss a couple of essential features:

-more advanced track editing : when pasting or duplicating clips in arrangement view it would be *really* helpful to be able to choose to either insert the selection while automatically shifting everything after it to the right, or overwriting what comes after. furthermore, it should be possible to do this independently on each track, as well as per group or over all tracks. obviously, the opposite should also be possible: when cutting out parts of tracks, there has to be an option to shift everything after the cut to the left, (maybe even to shift everything before the cut to the right), or not shift anything at all.

having to manually move parts of tracks around means a lot of zooming in and out if your inserting at the very beginning of your track, especially when you need to insert on a much grid finer resolution then what you have when zoomed out. the "insert silence" feature is only half a step towards a solution because it's still an extra action you have to perform and on top of that it always only works on all tracks together.

compare "shuffle" and "slip" editing in protools.

- secondly, what i also consider a deplorable miss of functionality is not being able to vertically zoom in on audio clips. now i have to push the gain all the way up to be able to find a good spot to cut. yes, sometimes i really want to use audio clips that are not normalized or brick-walled...

i suppose i would like to see more advanced editing capabilities in general.
now that max/msp has been (sort of) integrated it's time to absorb protools as well !!!

- and what about multichannel support?
this is 2011, 5.1. surround has already established itself years ago.
what i find even more annoying is that max/msp always has never been confined to mono and stereo, but max4live is. i work around this by using auxes and routing them to external outs, but being able replace a panning dial with a joystick would be far more convenient.

- finally (but on top of my list in terms of degree of annoyance) i still find it hard to believe that there's no easy way to loop audio clips without having to warp them first. quite often, i just want to loop something at its original speed and lenght, which may be completely off grid. and do that on multiple tracks independently. having to use follow actions, or manually copy/paste clips is a very tedious workaround for this lack of extremely basic functionality.

apart from that (and probably a few more small things i can't remember right now), i'm still a big fan of this otherwise brilliant piece of software!!!

grtz,
xaf

rude_NHS

Re: shuffle/slip edit, vertical zoom, no-warp-loop, multichannel

Post by rude_NHS » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Looping without warping is totally possible. Just turn warp off in your clip then use the play again follow action to trigger it again at an interval of your choosing. If you want to play something right to the end and loop again the you can use sampler.

Hope that helps.

hatefish

Post by hatefish » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

+1 for the zoom. many freeware software have it. It is hard to understand why ableton is missing this feature.

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

+1 for multichannel

Fritz

Post by Fritz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:21 pm

+1 on the shuffle.
In TV work I often need to insert 1 or 2 secs of silence followed by stems; across 4 or 6 stems.
This would be a better way to do the job.

floond

Post by floond » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:46 pm

+1 on the vertical zoom, I miss this option soo much in arrangement view. Give me the vertical zoom fader from Sampler on every track, please. It annoys me daily to have to boost the gain to get a proper view of the waveform.