Noob assistance - Audio interfaces

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alba

Noob assistance - Audio interfaces

Post by Alba » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi folks. Before you ask, yes i have indeed searched the forum already but havent quite found an answer for my situation yet.

So i'm just a beginner just starting out with a minimal bedroom studio - Live 8, an Axiom Pro 61 midi keyboard and a pair of Shure SRH840 headphones (parents are in the adjacent room so monitors are not a possibility at this stage)

Anyway to round out my 'beginner' setup i know i'll need a soundcard that betters the internal one on my laptop, and also a headphone amp of some sort to get the most out of the Shures.

My question is: considering the midi keyboard is my only input, do i need to look at an audio interface with a certain number of inputs? ie something in the way of a Saffire 6 USB? The reason being the only people i hear buying them have external instruments to record with it, whereas in my case im just using the midi keyboard and doing everything else internally in Live (operator etc) so im confused as to how many inputs i require if any.

Would i be better off looking at something like the NI Audio 2 DJ ( http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... udio-2-dj/ which seems to be a soundcard with a headphone amp as well i believe? or is there something else which usually gets recommended for setups like mine?

Can't wait to crank my new gear in Live so any support/guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks

XPM

Re: Noob assistance - Audio interfaces

Post by XPM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Something like the audio 2 dj would be perfect for your needs. Provided that you have a headphone output on the interface you buy, you shouldn't need a headphone amp. Consider if you are likely to invest in some external gear in the future, but if that is unlikely, stick with the audio 2, or look at the smaller of the m-audio range, which may be a little cheaper.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm

There was another very thread that mnentions audio 2 dj / audio kontrol 1 etc.

Audio 1 Kontrol has inputs as well in case you need to record an external synths, mic or whatever. Additionally its outputs are all balanced TRS which means they are for connecting to pro-audio type gear and not consumer or DJ gear, for example a pair of studio monitors. Being balanced connections, they are less disturbed by the presence of mobiles phones, wifi etc. It can also suppoort a powered mic. If you plan on getting studio monitor eventually, or every want to record via a mic, or line outs from a keyboard for eg, then this is the kind of thing you need.

Audio 2 DJ is excellent for connecting to DJ gear or consumer hi-fi because it has unbalanced RCA outputs however connecting it to typical studio monitors with balanced inputs will work with the right cable (which may be hard/impossible to find), but any nearby mobile phones, WiFi etc may make your life hell. Also it has no inputs so you cant record anything through it - if you have a DJ mixer an dont need inputs, then the one to go for.

Both have headphone outputs, sound quality and driver wise, both basically the same.

You can inter-connect between balanced pro audio connections and unbalanced consumer or gear with the right cables of course, but you hardly even see them in stores - so you generally have to make them yourself to do it properly, though non-ideal off the self cables will often do the job, just less well.

Software driver wise, I personally have found them very reliable on PCs running win xp and win 7 (have audio kontrol 1 and audio 8 dj).
Nothing to see here - move along!

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

I actually prefer the Saffire interfaces. I find them to be rock steady with low latency. Saffire pro is good value.

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Also stay away from headphone amps when mixing. The output on the saffire is grand and already amplified.

Alba

Post by Alba » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:06 am

Cheers for your responses guys.

I can't see myself adding anything else to the setup in a good while, especially since what i have is all brand new to me and i want to get to know how to use everything inside and out. Plus the bank account isnt too happy :lol:

In that case i might just get the Audio 2 and upgrade to something better when the need arises.

Thanks again!