Follw actions on scenes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

Post by conny » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:36 am

Happy new working year 8)

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Hmm, I wonder is this is similar/same thing as I posted in the Feature Wish List.

What I was wanting to do (and correct me with a reply if this is done via the info on this thread) is have a couple/few midi tracks, each containing some clips, not all equal, i.e. track one have 6 clips, track 2 have only 2 and track 3 have only 1 or 2. But when playing the scene from midi track one with only one clip and follow-on to play next, etc...for itself that it would trigger the 2nd rows scene and so forth. My workaround was to be using same measure clips but blank on track 2 and 3 (only did 2 tracks to prove it out) and the follow-ons matching on each track/clip.

This appears to work. And this was with no additional stuff (MIDI-Yoke) set up/installed. I also wasn't routing anything from them elsewhere, this was just an experiment for some percussion ideas I am working on. Tympani in track 1, cymbals in track 2, whoknowswhat in track 3. Nothing really conplicated/intricate, a Martial style idea I am slowly fleshing out...

So, is this sort of what you are doing at the beginning of this thread or I am off-base on my thought process here?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:33 pm

what is midi yoke? is that why i am not understanding this

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:44 pm

midi yoke is a free program for PC, I love it. After you install it when you open the options->preferences->midi menu something like 8 ports called MIDI YOKE1 through 8 show up on the input and output side.

So, you can take a midi clip, put notes in it and assign those notes to ANY command in Live, then send that MIDI out to MIDI YOKE. In the midi preferences set the same port to REMOTE and any data coming in on that port appear like an external device. So, you can make a clip to automatically control Live and do some freaky stuff.

For mac the equivalent is IAC.

MIDI OX is on the same web site as MIDI Yoke, MIDI OX is just a GREAT MIDI tool, lets you send sysex files and watch midi traffic.

http://www.midiox.com/

go to that site to get midi yoke and midi ox.

btw you can do all this midi feedback stuff without a seperate program, just connect a midi cable from an input to an output and you get the same effect.

praecox

Post by praecox » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am

darkenedsoul wrote:Hmm, I wonder is this is similar/same thing as I posted in the Feature Wish List.

What I was wanting to do (and correct me with a reply if this is done via the info on this thread) is have a couple/few midi tracks, each containing some clips, not all equal, i.e. track one have 6 clips, track 2 have only 2 and track 3 have only 1 or 2. But when playing the scene from midi track one with only one clip and follow-on to play next, etc...for itself that it would trigger the 2nd rows scene and so forth. My workaround was to be using same measure clips but blank on track 2 and 3 (only did 2 tracks to prove it out) and the follow-ons matching on each track/clip.

This appears to work. And this was with no additional stuff (MIDI-Yoke) set up/installed. I also wasn't routing anything from them elsewhere, this was just an experiment for some percussion ideas I am working on. Tympani in track 1, cymbals in track 2, whoknowswhat in track 3. Nothing really conplicated/intricate, a Martial style idea I am slowly fleshing out...

So, is this sort of what you are doing at the beginning of this thread or I am off-base on my thought process here?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

this is exactly how i thing about follow actions scene. for example, you have a scen 1 with only 2 audio clips - let's say it's a break in your song. you want this break to play and then trigeer the scene 2 full of clips (kick, bass, drums etc). you need to make some "empty audio/midi" clips (if you need warps you just draw the volume envelope to 0 in the clip) and put them in a ampty track slots. it should work, i just thought about this at the morning:).

anybody have tested this method?

j
MBP 2.8 - Retina 15" - Mojave - Live 10

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:54 am

Tested this method?

Its the only method...
Without using 3rd party apps that is..

I always have empty clips handy to drop into a session.
Just select scene. Hit shift + tab and set up your follow actions.

The other workaround would be to trigger scenes from within Live using a 3rd party MIDI router.

praecox

Post by praecox » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:28 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Tested this method?

Its the only method...
Without using 3rd party apps that is..

I always have empty clips handy to drop into a session.
Just select scene. Hit shift + tab and set up your follow actions.

The other workaround would be to trigger scenes from within Live using a 3rd party MIDI router.
ok, thnx for reply. i need just to trigger the scene like this method does. one scene has finished, the next will play, that's all.

best

j
MBP 2.8 - Retina 15" - Mojave - Live 10

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:17 am

so with the that als OP posted, you could technically trigger scenes in a following order as a transitional BPM change, right?

say you have 8 dummys triggering scene 10 to 17, and these scenes have bpm changes with increments of two. i tried to test it but im running a pretty hefty background resource at the moment, and canelling it means it would restart so i didnt want to cancel it. ive been considering transitional bpm changes for some time, and i know that theres a few people asking for it aswell.