Belkin Nostromo n-52 Speedpad .. unreal!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikemc

Joysticks. gloves and midi

Post by mikemc » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:41 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=re ... gle+Search

SW for joysticks to MIDI-- Rejoice looks good, created with Reason in mind, downloaded have not tried yet. I am using the P5 glove with MIDI mapping software. This controller in combination with the P5 would give you the free floating hand a'la Minority Report (they have drivers for XP, not OSX-- there is a work in progress open source devel OSX driver for the P5).
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:13 am

Is this controller setup for lefthand people only? It just looks that way to me.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:57 am

It is operated with your left hand, but it is meant to be used as a supplement to a mouse or midi keyboard.
The layout is much like if you were a right handed person playing guitar.
Your thumb lays out flat on the directional pad like if you were playing a nintendo 8 bit controller or if it was resting on behind the neck of a guitar.
If you can hold a chord or play a note on a guitar without looking at it you will be find with this. If you can play keyboard or type well it is a no brainer.
Enough PR. It takes little time to get used to.

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:27 am

am i wierd for thinking that this thing is sexy!?! i WILL be having one by sunday...

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:00 pm

looks like something the cat sicked up if you ask me :D

Rozengracht

Post by Rozengracht » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi there,

I bought this infamous controller. Maybe I’m stupid but I don’t get it.

Usually I use the computer keys to control mute things (on qwert and so on). Therefore I don’t need a seperate controller.

But I liked the idea of creating macros with speedpad. So I tried to create one (for duplicating I recorded ctrl+d) and put it on the first left upper left key (usuallally), but Live did not react. It reacted on simple keys but not on macros. I tried it maybe ten times, then I downloaded the given ableton_live.n52. I put some macros on the keys (qwert and so on)  no result.

Maybe I do not understand the principle of it. Where is my failure? Can anybody give me a short description how to set up that thing?

Regards, roz.

(BTW: Can anybody explain how to change speedpad events into MIDI with Rejoice and MIDIOX and MIDIYoke? I tried it as well  no reaction)

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 am

Hey man, I wish I could help but I am still limited in my knowledge of this product (plus I've been distracted by Operator.) What are you running it on, an Apple or a PC?

DJADD

Post by DJADD » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 am

Folks in the States, get it cheap at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 003&depa=0

only $23 bucks plus 4 bucks shipping. 8)
¡Manipulating what is, into what shouldn't!
http://www.losminstrelsdeldiablo.com

Rozengracht

Post by Rozengracht » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:16 am

I am on VAIO 1.6 GHz Notebook. I have got the feeling that the config utility of Speedpad does not really communicate with Live (as well as Rejoice does not communicate with Lives virtual Midi In). In Speedpad's Standard Mode (QWERT) everythings fine- a macro on a single key dead.

:?:

supster

Post by supster » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:18 am

Rozengracht wrote:Usually I use the computer keys to control mute things (on qwert and so on). Therefore I don’t need a seperate controller.

But I liked the idea of creating macros with speedpad. So I tried to create one (for duplicating I recorded ctrl+d) and put it on the first left upper left key (usuallally), but Live did not react. I
advantage to the speedpad is really ergonomics and combos of functions you can do when everything is right under your left hand. also remapping key functions to different things on the fly ... without moving your hand off the pad.

if you are a bit creative the light bulbs will start to go off and keep
going off the more you get you head around it .. just like Live.

It realy becomes more like playing a guitar or keyboard. If you dont see that im not sure what else to say

macros can be a little finicky to program because of the timing between keypresses.

Try some macros by putting the times in manually between keys - make them a consistant .5 sec or whatever seems to work for ya. Ive always managed to get them to work
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Rozengracht

Post by Rozengracht » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:59 am

Sorry, but I don't need an explanation what it is good for, I'd rather like to get it work. Any suggestion?

When I created a macro I never left pauses between the single hits. Could this be a reason?

supster

Post by supster » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:19 am

Rozengracht wrote:Sorry, but I don't need an explanation what it is good for, I'd rather like to get it work. Any suggestion?

When I created a macro I never left pauses between the single hits. Could this be a reason?

well, you said "maybe Im stupid, but i dont get it". So i gave you how i use it. :)

Yes - you need delay times between keys or macros wont work
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Rozengracht

Post by Rozengracht » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:58 am

Supsta,

did you made any experiences with Rejoice? If yes how did you wire it?

regards

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:51 pm

well i just bought this thing, and it's popularity is well founded.

i've been playing with it with ableton, and it is so freeing. i am left handed, and find it to be perfect because i use my left hand to do keyboard stuff anyway. but, for me, this is going to to be equally, if not more, useful in fl studio and traktor.

in performance, i use my right hand for controlling my air fx, to do filtery, percussive stuff[in traktor] in my left hand will be way more efficient.

fl studio already has the ability to accept joystick input and key commands and input formulas.

thanks sooo much for info on this device. i'll post the result of some of my experimentation later in the week.[/url]

dom

change shift states using only one button on OSX

Post by dom » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm

>anyone on osx figure out how to map the state change to cycle using just >one button yet? the instructions for the pc version point to a menu option >that doesn't seem to be there in osx.
>
>k

unfortunately the osx version does not allow to cycle through the shift states using only one button like the windows version does. this means 3 buttons are needed to trigger the different shift states -> at least suboptimal in my opinion :-)
i mailed belkin about that and after some back and forth they answered yesterday that it will be implemented soon. i don't know their definition of "soon" but there is hope, i guess.
contact was eurosupport@belkin.com
so if there are more users out there missing this feature i think it will not harm if you mail them, too, so that they see that people are really demanding it.

so long,
dom