Belkin Nostromo n-52 Speedpad .. unreal!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:49 am

Can any game controller work for live, be mapped to keys?
What about midi? any translator/combinator? I saw all the joystick and flight controllers, with many fun options (really FIRE your clip :D ).

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:11 am

Hey I have one of these (got it a couple of weekes ago) and I am dissapointed that that the instructions for mac users suck!
Although it mentions that it works well with macs and has many positive reviews in mac magazines, I have searched my hardrive for the programs it uses to run (after installation) and they do not show up anywhere on my hard drive.
The only screen that I can get to is "Nostromos Array," and while it shows pllebty of options, it is confusing to learn without the manager loadout screens that were mentioned in the manual.
Once I realized that the manual was geared toward pc's I went on-line and downloaded the osx version- it's the same thing!
I fanyone has had any experience with using this with the mac I would greatly appreciate the input or any suggestions. I am hoping this will be the fantastic thing that I have read about!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 am

Alright, without access to all of the software (now that I given up the seach) I am already able to do all kinds of stuff. While I am concerned about wether or not I will be able to do everything that I could without it, I would have to say that this i really straight foward and makes for a great, cheap method of carrying out commands quickly that midi can't do.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 am

anyone on osx figure out how to map the state change to cycle using just one button yet? the instructions for the pc version point to a menu option that doesn't seem to be there in osx.

k

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:03 am

LOFA wrote:Alright, without access to all of the software (now that I given up the seach) I am already able to do all kinds of stuff. While I am concerned about wether or not I will be able to do everything that I could without it, I would have to say that this i really straight foward and makes for a great, cheap method of carrying out commands quickly that midi can't do.
LOFA!

I just PMed you. Didn't realize that you where on a Mac. I'm on a PC, and it does seem that the PC-software is much more graphically oriented, which makes this thing a breeze to configure.

On the other hand, I think that my preset should probably work. Try it, and tell me!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm

I jjust spent a bunch more time trying to import your nostromo presets, and it diesn't seem to work.

I am still concerned about wether or not osx can effectively use the wheel or manipulate forms other than key strokes (ie: volume or parameter changes.)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:57 pm

LOFA wrote:I jjust spent a bunch more time trying to import your nostromo presets, and it diesn't seem to work.
Maybe PC and Mac presets aren't compatible - which seems strange. Can't help you any more, my friend...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks anyway!

supster

Post by supster » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:51 pm

so you are saying it doesnt come with decent software for the mac? ack .

the pc software is brilliant, best ive seen for this kind of thing, that sucks

it should be compatible with just about any application - you dont need
any of thier config files -

main thing is that the Nostromo converts the button presses and maps
them to macros, that are in effect when the app is in focus

so if you dont have grapic software to map the keys in mac, what do you have?
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:22 am

quote:
"The only screen that I can get to is "Nostromos Array," and while it shows pllebty (plenty) of options, it is confusing to learn without the manager loadout screens that were mentioned in the manual."

It seems really odd but I am not the only one having difficulty finding the file
other files. They do not seem to be there, and even the instructions don't seem to acknowledge mac specification on more than 3/4's of the applications. For a product labled OSX compatable I find this outrageous.

If I had a PC this device would really fuck some serious shit up, and Supster, I am glad that you are spreading the word. As it is, I am yet to find my way past the mac programming limitations this has on osx, but I have a feeling it will seriously help me chop up tracks in real-time.

If you have a PC I would seriously recommend this!
If you are on a mac, it will help you do a lot more with little extra table clutter.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:59 am

LOFA wrote:If you have a PC I would seriously recommend this!
If you are on a mac, it will help you do a lot more with little extra table clutter.
strange, you have visited thier site and downloaded everything you
could for mac os?

if they dont have the graphic programming software for mac I would
write them and find out why not
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

supster

Post by supster » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:00 am

LOFA wrote:If you have a PC I would seriously recommend this!
strange, you have visited thier site and downloaded everything you
could for mac os?

if they dont have the graphic programming software for mac I would
write them and find out why not

Im mainly using it as a production tool - havent been mixing because
projects take priority -and nothing beats it for triggering clips and
overlaying new sections of track in real time.
--

supster

Post by supster » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:00 am

Here's a tip, just one thing that kicks ass about the nostromo:

Set your main pallatte to be a simple clip trigger palate. So each of
twelve keys on the pad has a single keyboard key assigned

I used R T Y U / F G H J / V B N M

Set the far right two nostromo keys (call them keys 13 , 14) to "KEY MAP" and "STOP ALL CLIPS".

Then create a 4 row by 3 scene grid on an out of the way place on your session view. I manage to use the top left hand side because of the way
my tracklayout is, but pick someplace you are not planing on accidntallly
triggering this as scenes

now you can drag and samples out from the browser into those grid slots.

quickest way to get sounds out on the grid to audtion, in time, with
any groove you have going on. Play the nostromo like an instrument
in your left hand

come up with "phrases" of loops or to trigger over your arrangment, practice them, then record right on the arrangement with the nostromo.
go over, consolidate bring back as new clip

so much quicker than keyboard to map on a moments notice. you can change assignments away from the grid in an instant because your map Key switch is on there too.

the combos you come up with in these ways are so easy to map and try out. you will find yourself going"whoa"

and, you still have three other complete keysets to work with for other assingments, flip over to them with your thumb
--

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:50 am

OK, so I was so worked up about locating the missing OSX software that I completely overlooked 90% of what I can still do without it.
This fucking joy stick shows more potential to me right now than any lemur or maven combined.
What it can do with the key mapping button is just plain sick. Not only can it carry out functions that midi can't, it's a whole new science.
Supster, thanks for paving the way. I like your ideas a lot. Once I come up with some I will share.
And, uh, it's like $30?
The only reason I wouldn't recommend it is that once you start programming with your options become so freaking wide that it start to distract you from the really bad ass software you just turned into a video game.

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now - but I thought this thing was a glove that you put on your left hand! I'm pretty gutted that it's not, actually. How cool would it be to have that on your left hand using it to turn effects on and off as you are fading out a track?!?

Pretty gutted that this thing just sits on a desk next to your laptop/keyboard...