sidechain compression with voxengo crunchessor

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mnsh

sidechain compression with voxengo crunchessor

Post by mnsh » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Has anyone managed to get Crunchessor's sidechain input working crashlessly in Live? I got as far as hearing it work, but any attempt to either exit Live or loading a set containing the plugin results in the evil "A serious program error has occurred"-messages.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Live
2. Drop the crunchessor on a track, open it's GUI
3. On the flip side of the GUI (you get there by clicking the question mark thingy), click the "Ext. Sidechain" button.
4. Close the plugin GUI and restart Live

5. Drop the crunchessor on track 1
6. Route the output of track 2 to track 1 -> 3/4 VoxengoCrunchessor
7. Play anything through track 1 and a kick through track 2
8. Open the plugin GUI , click the "Sidech" button. Now the compressor reacts to track 2 but compresses track 1. Wheee.

From this point on, I could save the set but neither exit Live or load the set again without a crash.

I've tried this with only Crunchessor 1.3 in my VST path, to eliminate the possibility of other VSTs causing problems.

Sytem info: Live 4.0.4, XP SP2, M-Audio Firewire 410 with latest drivers.

mnsh

Post by mnsh » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:56 am

I'm curious, is anyone actually using a 4 input 2 output VST effect in Live without crashes?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 am

For that matter is anyone using any sidechain capable VST in Live for sidechaining successfully (as he described above)

If so which ones are working ..
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

mnsh

Post by mnsh » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:01 pm

For what it's worth, latest Live (4.1) and latest Crunchessor demo (1.5beta) as the only plugin in the VST path still cause crashes if the sidechain input on the Crunchessor is enabled.

I can't believe that noone else is missing this feature. Is there another good sounding and sidechain capable compressor all you guys are using and I don't know about?

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:52 am

I've recieved a message from Frank Hoffman asking me about my experiences with Crunchessor, so it appears he is looking into it.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:42 am

I was using the SlimSlow Slider sidechain compressor and that causes crashes too. Sent a bug report on the beta, still crashes. :cry:

Sidechaining is obviously not an important technique any more, i guess you can do a similar thing using clip envelopes but it's extemely laborious.

The new version of Reason has true sidechaining now I believe, it's starting to tempt me back.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:42 am

Deleted double post
Last edited by Martyn on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:44 am

this has to be a live problem. i just tried out ndc plugs amplitude imposer which uses a key channel as well, and exactly the same crash is occurring. it seems any plugin with audio routed to it from another channel is going to crash live....
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...