Plugin Rescan button

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
djcoma1200

Plugin Rescan button

Post by djcoma1200 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:16 pm

A button somewhere when you are looking at the plugins from the browser that will rescan the plugins. I am aware that this is in the options, but would be very convenient and probably not hard to add a button so that you wouldn't have to go all the way to the options every time to rescan.

noise

Re: Plugin Rescan button

Post by noise » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 pm

perhaps the idea of having the rescan button in "options" is to prevent an accidental rescan at a crucial moment ;)

I've got thousands and of plugins and it is a VERY long task to get Live to rescan them all (especially since some of them do NOT behave in Live currently...so the scan has to be executed from the beginning every time that Live's vst scan fouls out on a plug in that it cannot accomodate :cry: )

I have wanted to see a new approach to the vst scanning, but I'm afraid that I do not have a "one size fits all" answer to fix this problem...AND I realize that most people have a more sane and better managed vst arsenal than I do :oops:

My wish would be that Live should have a "skip this vst" option on the rescan(if it does not already....) AND an option that shows all vsts that HAVE been skipped or that cannot otherwise be recognized by Live. This would help users communicate to developers to address the problems, etc...

djcoma1200

Post by djcoma1200 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:21 pm

For somebody like you that would definitely work better than my idea. Maybe a "scan for new VST" button would be the best suit. That way it would only look for an added VST and not touch any of the ones that it scanned at startup. More control in general over the VST plugins would help a lot and probably make the program run more efficient if you could just turn some of them completely off.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:32 pm

scan for new vst would be a good option to have,maybe also previosly failed vsts??