Is it my computer or Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kramerica

Is it my computer or Live 8?

Post by kramerica » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Been a while since I posted...

Basically, I have a MBPro that's probably 3+ yrs. old - 2.33 ghz intel core duo w/ 4 GB RAM running the most updated OSX 10.6.

Ableton 8 is updated.

I'm also currently playing/recording with very knowledgeable certified ableton instructor who has the same computer, same abes version, and same problems (give or take). Both of us are EXTREMELY disappointed in how Live has been acting and are considering either upgrading our computers (which neither of us have $2500+ to throw on one) or completely switching to Logic and saying goodbye to our much beloved Ableton DAW. It's hard to think like that after this program really got me into production in the first place.

Reoccurring issues:
-NI akoustik piano crashes abes ALL THE TIME. It crashed 10 times in a row on me the other day. 10 times.
-Often a midi track (w/ 3rd party plug-ins or otherwise) will not play any audio after stopping and restarting. I've troubleshooted to no avail.
-general crashing for doing just about nothing, even though I'm working with 2 or so tracks, little or no plug-ins, etc. It boggles the mind.

I realize the new MBPros and PC counterparts are about twice as fast as this computer but I was hoping to get another year out of it since I really have very little other problems outside of ableton. But maybe that's the solution? Thoughts?
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

tw1nstates

Re: Is it my computer or Live 8?

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:25 am

Check activity monitor an see how much Ram you are using in live.
If it's more than a couple of gigs then that's your culpirit.
Also, make sure you have the ni stuf up to date.

A lot of the ni stuff crashes if not updated...
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Your laptop is 3 years old. Did you ever defragment? I don't konw the term for Mac users, but since heavy samples uses DFD(direct from disk), it could be the reason why it crashes.

Live is very stable by itself. It has some issues when you use third party VST's
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 pm

thats bullshit.. L8 is far from stable.. it just seems to work with some computers better than with others...

Ableton allways refused to tell us which modells tend to crash.. maybe because that changes from update to update...

my model is a crashing one and also a 3 years model with TI firewire chipset..

thing is.. with all other software the laptop is perfectly fine and seem to create less issues as some newer models..

however.. the speedbump of the new generation powerbooks is intruiging... and you dont need the firewire model anyway because firewire sucks on the new ones... so again a new audio interface... :-(
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 pm

3phase wrote: however.. the speedbump of the new generation powerbooks is intruiging... and you dont need the firewire model anyway because firewire sucks on the new ones... so again a new audio interface... :-(
so what's the story with firewire on the new models?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm

ii ve seen on the rme webpage that there ae issues.. best ask there about the details...

because rme is usually good in drivers i would say they are a good indicator for potential trouble...

in general the newer apple models have cheaper fire wire chipsets.. but this is since at least 2-3 years now..

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm

across the interwebs there are a few stories here and there about people having issues with 10.6.3 and needing driver updates, but i can't find any reports about firewire on the new MBPs being particularly problematic...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:15 pm

fishmonkey wrote:across the interwebs there are a few stories here and there about people having issues with 10.6.3 and needing driver updates, but i can't find any reports about firewire on the new MBPs being particularly problematic...
i havent digged deeper in it but there was some rumor.. best ask directly in the rme forum.. that is what i would do when i would be about buying a new one...