Reaktor and Live...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gel-Sol

Reaktor and Live...

Post by Gel-Sol » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:31 pm

Is anyone using Live and Reaktor, not necessarily together, but at the same time?

I'm working on a live set where I want to use Reaktor and Live separately, but I would like to have them both open at the same time. The Idea is that I can play a song in Live, mix in a segue using cd turntables, then stop live and mix in a song using Reaktor. My problem is, while Live is open and I try to open Reaktor, Reaktor gives me and ASIO error and cannot play the audio (I assume because Live is currently using the ASIO driver). My audio card is an emagic EMI 2/6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gel-Sol
www.gel-sol.com

hsonik

Post by hsonik » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:13 pm

not sure if this will help but....

if you open reaktor as a vst, then rewire the vst host with Live, both progs can then run at the same time. thats how I use reaktor and live together, with Orion as a host.

or maybe you can run reaktor with the windows default sound drivers while Live uses Asio?

Gel-Sol

Logic/Reaktor...

Post by Gel-Sol » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:07 pm

so I would need to use a host prog like Logic? hmmmm.....Logic is my main sequencing app, but it gives me alot of trouble....I do video editing and graphic design (on a mac), and I never seem to get my extensions in completely in harmony...

With the method of performance I stated in my previous post, I can quit Live while playing a segue from a cd player, then start Reaktor (and vice-versa), but I was hoping I could keep both open for convenience sake.

Thanks for your advice!

Gel-Sol
www.gel-sol.com

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:48 pm

hsonik : have started playing with rewire with orionpro but just keep having problems. OrionPro is not recognisd as rewire client.

Followed the instructions as on the CreativeSynth site Reason/live tutorial but with no success....

Tried by first launching OrionPro than Live , viceversa ... no success ...
any familiar behaviour here?
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:00 pm

does REAKTOR work as a VST effect within LIVE? I mean just the ensembles that work as effetcs. I know that the VSTi's would not work. thank you for answering. :)

Mbazzy

OrionPro rewired to Live

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:50 am

For matter of information :

My Setup : ST Audio DSP24MK2 with latest drivers under Win2000 pro
OrionPro 3.0.6/Ableton Live 1.5.2

Just recently wanted to start diving into the use of Rewire.
Untill now I mainly used OrionPro as a sample/loop generating tool
for use in Ableton Live.

I followed the instructions found in the Live Zone of Creative Synth
on rewiring Reason into Live but I can't get Live to recognize OrionPro as slave .

Both programs are set to the same audio output but Live! doesn't
recognize OrionPro as a Rewire slave ...

Or amI that wrong and can OrionPro not be slaved, only Platinum?
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:12 am

OK, problem most probably solved ... OrionPro does not support Rewire ... this page http://www.synapse-audio.com/orionpro.php (on the right side) confused me ....

hsonik

Post by hsonik » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:14 pm

you need to use Orion Platinum. Try the demo.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:33 am

you can use reaktor with other audio software.
if you get an asio error try to use the soundmanager audiodriver in reaktor. the soundmanager should use the built in audio ( not the asiodrivers).
this should work.
but be aware that reaktor/mac is currently ( v3.07) not the software with the least bugs...[/quote]

metrognome32

reaktor live

Post by metrognome32 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:12 pm

You can run reacktor as an effect plugin and use a sequenced ens like newschool... the only thing is that the tempo will be from reaktor and not live since there is no VSTi support. That's how I use them both for live sets...

I would love to see someone develop a lite VST rewire host that could host rEAKTOR vsti's, fruity, live, whatever....without being a resource hog like CuBase or Logic. Any programmers out there??? :)

-gNome
www.azsessions.com
'free the music, elliminate the RIAA'

Kerrydan

Post by Kerrydan » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:28 pm

metrognome32: I would love to see someone develop a lite VST rewire host that could host rEAKTOR vsti's, fruity, live, whatever....without being a resource hog like CuBase or Logic. Any programmers out there???
Two words: Plogue Bidule.
http://www.plogue.com/
(for PC only, so far)

I'm currently beta-testing the lastest version (v0.56, which should be publically available in the next week or so, according to the developers), and in it Bidule can now function as a Rewire mixer (in addition to already being a solid VST host).

I've been having TONS o'fun running loops from Live into Bidule, and DSPing the heck out of them, while at the same time playing my VST instruments along with the audio from Live.

Thanks to MIDI Yoke, I can also even tweak effects in Live from the Bidule screen using my MIDI controller. The best of both worlds! 8)

Hope this is what you had in mind. Personally, I find Bidule extremely well-suited to live performance of electronic music.

Cheers,
-K

Link

Post by Link » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:26 pm

"You can run reacktor as an effect plugin and use a sequenced ens like newschool... the only thing is that the tempo will be from reaktor and not live since there is no VSTi support."

You can actually use Reaktor as an fx-plugin and use ensembles that need tempo sync from the host. Live, at the moment, fools plugins that query it into thinking it does not pass through vstTimeInfo when in fact it does. If you load the fx version of Reaktor into something like Spark the sync info will get through.

Not the heatest way, but as neat as any other until the Ableton's get "vstTimeInfo" to return the value "1" to any plug in that queries it instead of the current "0".

Link

evilteenagetwin

Hey Metrognome32 & Link

Post by evilteenagetwin » Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:09 am

mg32 : If you're on Mac, either 'Ugly VSTi Host' or 'VST Shell' (do a Google search for the download sites) are both free, and alledgedly support ReWire. I'm playing with both at the moment, but can't get Live to see the ReWire inputs...

Let us know if you have better luck...

Link : do you mean that VST effects run inside Spark, INSIDE Live will take the tempo from Live ? I've been bummed in the extreme that Live doesn't send tempo, as I've got all the lovely tempo based effects in Pluggo 3...

Link

Post by Link » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:47 pm

Yes. Works here on a PC with Reaktor and various other plugs anyway.

Live DOES in fact send tempo information, the problem is that when a plug queries it's host as to if it does or not it reports back erroneously. Some plugs don't check properly, some Steinberg ones ironically as well, so grab the information anyway but the ones that don't are only acting on the fact that the host (Live) doesn't send vstTimeInfo when in fact it is all along.

I'm severely bummed myself at this not being fixed in the last update as it's been brought to the Abletons attention and involves changing one line of code, one number in fact, unless there are other reasons why Live doesn't want plugs to know it is vstTimeInfo capable.

Not taking a sideswipe, this is a fabulous program and a full hat's off to the Ableton crew on getting this all together in the first place. It's not easy getting stuff like this together without the resources of a Steinberg or an Emagic etc.

Anyway, it looks like Spark (to our benefit) messes up as well and doesn't pass on the fact that supposedly the host isn't aware of time info to any plugs loaded within it where it is in effect acting as a sub-host.

So that was a long way of saying yes. I posted this a while back but no-one seemed interested really. This is only on PC by the way, I haven't a clue if the same is true on those designer type bits of hardware ;)

Regards

Link

evilteenagetwin

Woo hoo !

Post by evilteenagetwin » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:10 pm

splutters "designer type bits of hardware" ?!?

Heh heh... had to buy a grotty old Bass Station keyboard to stop my iMac / Machinedrum based setup looking too good... :)

Spark FX Machine is on it's way to me now... had looked at it before, witth thoughts of running it's synth / sequencer components inside Live (but doubted that would work).

... fingers crossed....

Cheers for the info,
Nick