Live 4 on OSX coughing w/ just four audio tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tz

Live 4 on OSX coughing w/ just four audio tracks

Post by tz » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:52 pm

This is not normal. Ableton on OSX is coughing after just four tracks of audio while 'recording' fourth track, meaning I record one track no problem, then another OK, then another almost OK, and then by the fourth track I get skips and clicks and pops and stops.

Note: I've used Pro Tools for over a year without EVER having any audio problems, I can easily record 24 tracks of audio in Pro Tools with 6 to 8 realtime effects plus Kontakt running several sampler instances.

Is is because I've uninstalled OS9? Or because I've done a lot of uninstalls and reintalls recently? Or should I reinstall OS X (but why should I when everything else is working)?

I think my computer is in very good condition. Absolutely every other program (audio programs included) work fine.

Also note: Live's VSTi's work fine.

And yes I've tweaked the buffers, as far as I know.

iBook 800mhz 640ram
OS X 10.2.8
running Ableton 4.0.1 via DigiDesign CoreAudio (properly installed, meaning I understand Pro Tools version 6.1.1 or above must be either installed or Core Audio installed standalone to work)

TZ

php

Post by php » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:31 pm

Why not update from OS 10.2.8 to the current 10.3.6? Maybe the update will help. Uninstalling OS 9 should have nothing to do with your problem. You should be able to record many more than 4 tracks on your iBook with Live before it starts to choke. Also, you might want to check to see if your processor performance is set to "Highest" in the Energy Saver System Preferences (select "Options"). This will double your processor speed from the standard "Automatic" setting.
Apple iBook (12") G4 1.2Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, AirPort, Bluetooth, OS 10.3.8, Edirol UA-25 & PCR-80.

tz

Post by tz » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:33 pm

It's a little better now when: I've deselected the 'monitor' function on each track when recording, also the problem seems to be much worst when recording in stereo. Yesterday I was able to record 12 mono tracks with Impulse running two samples, + one VSTi.

And yes my Energy Saver Preferences are set to 'Highest.'

OK, but not the 24 tracks + 5-6 Kontakt samplers (which also include effects) + 6-10 real time effects running in Pro Tools.

I'll look at everything again (my system, etc) and attempt to add more audio tracks, and VSTi's, and see.

TZ

dfusion

Re: Live 4 on OSX coughing w/ just four audio tracks

Post by dfusion » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:41 pm

tz wrote:Also note: Live's VSTi's work fine.

And yes I've tweaked the buffers, as far as I know.

iBook 800mhz 640ram
OS X 10.2.8
running Ableton 4.0.1 via DigiDesign CoreAudio (properly installed, meaning I understand Pro Tools version 6.1.1 or above must be either installed or Core Audio installed standalone to work)

TZ
Live's effects are not VST or VSTi, they are a parto f Live. Is there any reason why you are not running Live 4.04? It runs better than 4.01 and fixes many bugs. It has been said many times that Digi's Core Audio drivers are the worst of any manufacturer. Pro Tools LE does not use Core Audio so the Digi hardware works great with it, but with anything else it is not so great. Just read the DUC.