My .wav export of Master sounds different!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jasonfarbman

My .wav export of Master sounds different!

Post by jasonfarbman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:28 am

Hi,

Not sure what I'm doing, but when I export a song to make a .wav from the Master, certain instruments sound different - very different - in the final mix. For example, one song I have with lots of reverb seems to re-adjust the volumes of the tracks in proportion to the amount of reverb they have been assigned! I've tried tinkering with plenty of things, exporting at all bit levels, etc, but nothing has worked. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but can't figure it out....

contakt321

Re: My .wav export of Master sounds different!

Post by contakt321 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 am

What sample rate? I have heard of errors where Live doesn't render the Reverb when bouncing at max resolution (happened to a friend last week)

jasonfarbman

Post by jasonfarbman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:48 pm

I've tried a variety of sample rates -- right now it's at 9600. The reverb issues is also only one problem I've had, but when this happens it always seems to effect the drums. On another song, in Ableton they sound powerful and deep but on the mixdown .wav they sound like a casio keyboard or something...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Are you clipping the master?

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Not sure if it is connected but i was having similar problems yesterday with a master wav file exported from a 24 bit 48 khz session to a 24 bit 48khz wav file sounding rather odd (technical description) as if it was phasing. After a laptop restart, i tried again and it was fine. Using 8.1.3

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm

When you click Export Audio/Video take a look at the settings....is the button for "Normalize" on or off?

Typically, this is pretty harmless....but to the untrained ear it can make things sound kinda whacky.
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!