OSX Optimization+Solution&Warning for Audio-Dropouts

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
sniffio

update to 1.0.4

Post by sniffio » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:46 pm

updated the fix to 1.0.4.
I put how to restore your complete OSX and data.
check for ":arrow:" for details.

onnomon

Glitchy-Gitchy Gaa Yaa Heya

Post by onnomon » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:16 am

semi-random thoughts...

There has been some form of glitch issue since the introduction of Live 3 under OsX, which went away when updating to 10.2.6. These were unpredictable drop-outs anywhere from 0.2 to 1 sec while the cpu was not under load.

Fortunately these days most of those system issues have melted away.

I find the RME Multiface and Echo Indigo cards to be rock-solid, provided your buffer sizes are fat enough. Try setting a buffer size of 256 samples and you'll see what I mean.

If you're using an M-Audio firewire interface, do you have anything else out on the firewire bus? Can you increase buffer size for it? Also, if you're comparing to the internal sound card you're still generally dealing with a buffer size which is too small. With such small buffer, you're at mercy of the scheduler (windoze or OsX).

Sometime I can get force glitches by activating a softsynth for the first time on a track. Before playing a gig, I "warm" the project up by playing a bunch of the clips on the all synth tracks. Apparently, the first time you activate a softsynth midi clip some internal housekeeping occurs and Live almost always hiccups. After that, I can switch patches with smoothly. (we're talking about changing 25 MB Spectrasonics Atmosphere patches, and FM7).

Apart from organizing your harddrive into clean project partitions, and perhaps disabling airport (if a real network is on the air), I don't see how changing permissions is going to speed up a computer. Alot of these "improvements" mainly relate to loading applications, file searches. Once an app is loaded, you're in. Regarding the processor scheduling, most unix background tasks sleep, do a "top" (from an X-window) and you'll get an idea of where your cpu is going, twiddling its thumbs. Kernels usually try to balance out the load, so cpu-heavies will sometimes get their priorities bumped down. You could try using the "renice" command on your Live process, this tells the scheduler to give that process extra preference in runtime.

Definitely disable journeled filesystems though and set the obvious power-management settings.

There's definitely some performance issue problems on the OsX side. I can run much more under Logic Pro than Live. Probably because Logic does it's own app-level disk caching. It looks like Live relies on OsX for caching. I can't find much about OsX disk caching in their site. I know that Linux uses all available free ram for caching disk blocks not sure if the BSD kernel does the same. If anyone knows anything please tell.

fuel for the firewire,
-dz

astaplatz

more ram?

Post by astaplatz » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:30 pm

Hello, I have noticed that I get glitches when activating / deactivating plugins on tracks [momentary short silences]. And when changing patch number on the FM7 consistently. The only way I can get around this problem is to use very few tracks and have very few returns / midi tracks set up... which is very restrictive and not necessary on a similar spec'd toshiba.

When I tried this on another PB G4 with similar specs [1.3 ghz OSX 10.3.7 , live 4.1, and indigo DJ] but with less ram [512mb instead of 1.25gb] live was completly unusable on this system.

So my question is: is it worth upgrading from 1.25gb ram to 2.0 gb ram? Is anyone able to vouch that 2gigs of ram will make a noticable performance improvement in live?

Also, another question... I have issues using an external FW 800 drive, it runs slower and has glitches if using just a few tracks... is there a FW issue known? or should i not use the external FW 800 drive for live and move everything to the local HD? There are no other FW devices connected, I am using a Lacie 7,200rp FW800 250gig drive.

thanks! and especially big thanks for the optimization tips! I am running them all one by one as we speak to see if I can get any noticable improvement and I will post my results here [since I did extensive bench marking prior to this reinstall]

seb.

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:43 am

sweet

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:14 am

92accordlxtuner wrote:sweet
did it help ?

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 am

>>astaplatz

Great, bench testing.
I would really like to know the consequences.
thx.

I'm betting the live4's performance could be the same,
but I'm positive that the whole cpu efficiency will rise.
PLZ check out the activity monitor.
I only got like about 8 programs working.

hope it helps you, too.

astaplatz

performance improvement?

Post by astaplatz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:58 am

Ok, I have not done a second benchmark test to see if I can now play more tracks, but the problems I had before, still exsist.

Just to make sure I am clear: I am running 3 soft synths, 2 midi, 7 audio tracks, 4 effect returns [only Ableton effects].

If I bypass an effect, i get a momentary glitch, if I add an effect, I also get a glitch, if I change a patch on the FM7, it also glitches the output [but i suspect thats more of a FM7-Ableton issue].

I noticed NO noticible improvements with the process prioritization, disbling of fonts etc. as indicated in the first post.

3soft, 2 midi, 7audio, 4 returns is still my systems limit. if I add anything more, it beomes slow and unresponsive [but it still plays the audio ok]. problem is the same on the internal sound c. as well as on my indigo dj. Sorry folks, didn't help me.

my question about ram still stands, if I upgrade from 1.25gb of ram to 2.0 gb of ram, will i be able to play any more tracks? if I use an external FW-800 7.200rp drive it performs worse, not better.

I am using a pb 1.3 ghz osx 10.3.8 60gig 5,200rp int. drive.

thanks,

seb.

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:30 pm

I updated the fix to v1.0.5.
It will help those who uses Logic and other apps.
plz check for the ":arrow:"

Guys, whoever is reading this,
if you are having the random crashes with live4, I'm sure it's either your
motherboard or your RAM.
My first PB had that problem.
I sent it away and had a new one, and problem solved.

If you are still having trouble with the audio glitch,
it is either your interface or your plugins.
If you done the fix, i recommend to look into the interface.
Adding RAM will not clear it.
I used 512MB and was fine all right.

Also look into the versions of Live4,
I have built a live set for my gig in 4.0.3.
It worked great with live4.0.4 but it started to get those glicth in 4.1
Went through everything, and found out that the only solution was to build
a new set within 4.1. Problem solved.
Hope I don't have to this in the future, plz ableton, thx.

If you have created a template which activates a glitch, deleate it.
Let's start from a scracth.

Also, RME mutiface users, I have noticed a glitch when the DSP Settings are checked to "Master sync". After testing it for a day, I recommend you to always keep it to "Auto sync". No problem. Easy syncing.

Good luck

I was so jeloused with the guys who didn't have any trouble using Live4.
Trust me, you'll be one in the near future.
Just don't give up.
It took me nearly a whole year to get it going to the right direction.(Great, now there's a newer powerbooks)

They were there to help me.
We are here to help you.

+1

Post by +1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:04 pm

he he :( My Powermac G4 just broke down...

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:42 am

I'm sorry for you, +1.
I know how you feel.
I experienced that three times during this year.
I hope you backed up all the data.

aru getting a G5 or a powerbook next time.
Windows ?

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:07 pm

if you own a powerbook,
and if you don't want it to go to sleep when the lid closed,
CHECK IT OUT

Sleepless
http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

+1

Post by +1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:12 am

sniffio

Hells no..

I send my mac to a local Mac repair shop (officeline.dk) After spending 4 days figuring what could be the problem...
I found that it proberly was the cpu board or the logic board that was causing trouble..

I just recived a mail that says I have to chang both!!!
They charge 90$ just for the diagnostics..
They gave me an offer ... 1100$ for the repair...
I bet those fucker didn't do jack shit to my mac... They just tried to turn it on, saw that nothing happened and then desided that I had to spend 1100 bananas on the Mac

I gave them the mac so that I would know what to change .. Cpu or logic board..

I hate Officeline ... :-(

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:46 am

Yeah, I think everybody knows what you are talking about.
They charged me 1800 bananas over here in Japan.
It was luck that I was insured for another half a year.

I'm deeply considering on the Apple Care Protection Plan for my powerbook.
Which is around 450 bananas over here.
I just can't afford all those bananas.

officelines..........
I think someone is asking for a good-old-spanking here. :oops:

Zky

Post by Zky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:53 am

sniffio

how osx 10.3.8 is working for u??

seems that graphics run better...but I really want to now about ableton performance on this update

my audio runs thru motu 828 mk2

thanks

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:20 am

I'm too scared to score 10.3.7 and 8.
It gave me the fan issue which won't stop.
The noise was too loud for me to handle.
Haven't even bothered to try the 10.3.8.

I'm on 10.3.5.
Working perfectly.
I could use a little more power, though
I'm scoring 44 samples=0ms.
There is a little glitch when using the TAP tempo,
but I rather have the extra speed.

Which OS do you recommend the best, my friend.
I use LIve4, Logic7, and MaxMSP.

I heard 10.3.5 is best for Logic's GUi.